#ZaniLa Rhyme: Friendship

You said we’d be friends but then you left
For a group more desired
I stay strong yet I yearn to belong
Though pretending has made me tired

You rejected me when I was down
Kicked me when I was broken
I yearn to belong, yet I stay strong
Knowing your friendship was a token

You spoke to me only on your terms
Of things trivial to me
I stay strong yet I yearn to belong
Where someone else, I don’t have to be

You let me down more than I can count
And taught me to trust no one
I yearn to belong, yet I stay strong
While noticing my soul come undone

(c) Sanch Vee @ Sanch Writes (30 April 2017)

***

The ZaniLa Rhyme, a form created by Laura Lamarca, consists of 4 lines per stanza. The rhyme scheme for this form is abcb and a syllable count of 9/7/9/9 per stanza. Line 3 contains internal rhyme and is repeated in each odd numbered stanza. Even stanzas contain the same line but swapped. The ZaniLa Rhyme has a minimum of 3 stanzas and no maximum poem length.

This has been written for the 2017 A to Z Challenge

15 Comments

1. Linda

April 30, 2017 at 10:27 am

I can feel the pain of friendship undervalued, cast aside. Sadly, I have too much experience of this. Meeting others at their point of need yet not being recognised or valued in mine. Poignant finale to the challenge Sanch. 🙂 Linda
    Letter Z: Z – It’s a Mirage

2. Shilpa Garg

April 30, 2017 at 11:32 am

Never knew before this that there are so many poetry forms and that they have such strict rules and guidelines. You have enlightened me with new knowledge and information all through April. Thanks Sanch for a wonderful month and congratulations for completing this challenge. Cheers!

3. Ishieta@Isheeria

April 30, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Wonderfully done. Another tough form. U did this brilliantly. And the feelings, i know girl. Hugs.

4. SHALINI BAISIWALA

April 30, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Congratulations on completing this challenege on such a high Sanchie- your verses and explanation of the poetry forms has been staggeringly brilliant through out!!! Loved reading you everyday!!!Cheers

Theme: Peregrination Chronicles (travel)
    Z is for Zen in the Glen #atozchallenge

5. Donna Smith

April 30, 2017 at 1:59 pm

This format really works here. Nicely crafted!
    Donna Smith
    Mainely Write
    ZOOMWGN

6. LadyInRead

April 30, 2017 at 5:52 pm

‘where someone else, i don’t have to be’ – that has to be my favorite line in the poem..
    and that is something i stress to the kids too – to be yourself always.. (and love Dr.Seuss for saying ‘“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” )
    LadyInRead @ MyRandRSpace – Day 30 & ZingingZ.

7. Rajlakshmi

April 30, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Nonone deserves a friend like that. Better to recognise them early and stay away. Great work on the form.
    Congratz on completing the challenge. Your poems were a treat to read 🙂

8. Roshan Radhakrishnan

April 30, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Wow, this is even more complex than the last one.. Congrats on successfully completing a very smart, impressive theme

9. Jacqui

May 1, 2017 at 12:57 am

Interesting construction. I wondered what you’d do for Z–of course, you found one!

10. https://mocktailmommies.blogspot.com

May 1, 2017 at 3:21 am

Dard-e-dil…dil hai mushkil! Liked the seed of thought and the story unfolded in the poem.
    Congratulations on finishing the challenge in the lyrical way!
    ————————————————
    Anagha From Team MocktailMommies
    Collage Of Life

11. Gail M Baugniet (@GailMBaugniet)

May 1, 2017 at 4:50 am

A fascinating poetry form, very challenging. You wrote an emotional story while staying true to the concept of ZaniLa Rhyme. Now I am eager to take up the challenge of what is a new idea for me. Thank you for sharing.
    Also, congratulations on completing a successful AtoZChallenge.

12. Sreesha

May 1, 2017 at 6:50 pm

We all deserve better friends – people like these have no place in our lives.
    Interesting form, Sanch. Congrats for completing the challenge! <3

13. Vidya Sury

May 1, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Hugs! Nothing hurts more than letting go of or being ditched by a friend.
    What a pretty name for a poetry form, Sanch! Congratulations on a fantastic AtoZ series!

14. Soumya

May 1, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Line 3 contains internal rhyme and is repeated in each odd numbered stanza. Even stanzas contain the same line but swapped. Wow, how well you have accomplished this!

Congrats on completing the challenge Sanch. It has been a true delight to read all your poems and learn so many forms.

15. Holly Jahangiri

May 2, 2017 at 2:51 am

You are very brave, with this theme! I thought about it, but when I contemplate “V” it makes me think of “Villanelle” – I still shudder in the memory of the one time I crafted one sweating bullets all the way…