2017 #AtoZReflections

This year, I jumped on the A to Z wagon in March. I struggled initially with a theme and almost didn’t sign up because I thought there was no way I could do it especially as I was going to be away for ten days towards the end of the month. But then, a theme spoke to me. And I succumbed to it.

I chose to write about the A to Z of Poetry. It wasn’t the most original theme as I knew I wanted it to be on the writing blog and then remembered one of my favourite bloggers writing this theme some years ago. Of course, my poems and even the choice of poems was different from Rajalakshmi’s in 2014.

Then began the hard work. Writing them.

As someone who has mainly written poetry that rhymes and in one particular form, I found a lot of them challenging. But, I also enjoyed writing them and challenging myself. Some of the hardest poems were for the Unwreathed Sestet, Palindrome and Zanila. The easiest was probably the Acrostic and the Sonnet.

Best of all, this year I found that I was organised. More than halfย my poems were written before the start of April. I finished a lot more by the first weekend. And then the hardest three poems on the Easter long weekend. It helped me big time as I was able to read other blogs and engage better this year compared to the other years. However, going away for the last ten days of the challenge and not having good internet connectivity meant I fell behind in the reading and engaging front. I was very grateful to Shalini who shared my links on the A to Z page as well as one of the blogging communities we are part of.

Some of my favourite reads in this years challenge included:

Sreesha at Petrichor and Clouds: She wrote minimalist fiction and it was so beautiful to read! I really hope she writes a book some time in her life because I for one will be rushing to read it!

Shailaja at The Moving Quill: She wrote micro-fiction using oxymorons. I loved trying to have to guess the oxymoron each day. I’ve followed Shy for a long time now and have noticed how her writing has grown and developed in the past few years. Definitely another potential author to watch out for.

Rajalakshmi at Destiny’s Child: She wrote about yoga and she continues to leave me gobsmacked with her skills and her core strength.

I read a lot more bloggers and loved each and every one of them. I was also humbled by the comments on my own blog. While I’m still catching up on the reading in May and sharing the same, I’m already looking forward to what comes next.

You see, I’ve decided I’m going to create an ebook on the A to Z of poetry with a few unpublished poems as well. It might take some time but I will do it this year. I’ve already asked my sister to design a cover for the same and then have to research the process of creating this book. I’m excited!

Will I do this again next year? Yes – as long as I can be organised like this year.

So it’s time to get those brains working for a theme for 2018. It’s how we roll with the A to Z challenge.

Image Source: Pixabay

9 Comments

1. Shailaja V

May 8, 2017 at 11:13 am

Congratulations on completing the a to Z Challenge! I was in awe of how you moulded each day’s poem to fit the form. It was never forced or awkward. As someone who loves to read poetry, your blog was among my favourites this year. Looking forward to the e book soon ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you for the shout out. I’m very honoured!
    Shailaja V recently posted…Lessons & Learning: #AtoZChallenge ReflectionsMy Profile

2. Nabanita

May 8, 2017 at 11:40 am

I admire you all just for taking part in the challenge. I did it only once and that year too I was on a break for a few months so had the time. I cannot imagine how you guys did it. So, kudos to you, Sanch.
    Nabanita recently posted…#FeministMondays | Why Are Women Paid Less?My Profile

3. Swathi Shenoy

May 8, 2017 at 1:52 pm

I loved reading your poems. Learnt so many new forms of poetry. Gonna try them all someday ๐Ÿ™‚ Congratulations on finishing the challenge Sanch ๐Ÿ™‚
    Swathi Shenoy recently posted…A Month in the Shoes of an ‘A to Z’erMy Profile

4. Alana

May 8, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Congrats on surviving and thriving, and thinking you may go forward with an eBook. I visited your blog once, I think – A to Z can be such an overwhelming experience. Now I have to try to go back and visit more of these blogs, including yours.

5. Shantala

May 9, 2017 at 12:37 am

Compiling a book is a great idea, Sanch. I wish you the best with it.
    I couldn’t participate this year, as I had my sister’s wedding around the same time, and it would have just not been possible for me to attend the wedding, work out the other logistics of a cross continent trip, and participate in AtoZ. But I am definitely in for next year.

6. Parul

May 9, 2017 at 2:47 am

Congrats on completing the challenge. You did great. Most of the forms of poetry, I hadn’t even heard of. It was creative and well researched. Well done, Sanch!
    Parul recently posted…And it’s a wrap! #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

7. Debbie D.

May 9, 2017 at 2:59 am

Congratulations on such a successful challenge and best wishes for the ebook. Wonderful idea!

8. SHALINI BAISIWALA

May 9, 2017 at 3:03 am

Teriffic blogging this month Sanchie; your poems and the grasp of the verse forms is something I am in awe of and will try to attempt doing my own version of this probably sometime in this year!! Congrats on such a brilliant but tough theme! Everyday your poems were bang on , not just with the expression but also in explaining the literary form!!!
    I am glad I was able to help – that goes anytime!!!!
    Cheers

9. Sreesha

May 9, 2017 at 8:02 pm

Congrats on finishing the challenge, Sanch. Loved all your poems, and was so touched by many of them.
    And thank you so much for the shoutout! <3 <3