Life lessons

A letter to my future self #FridayReflections

Dear 43-year-old Sanch,

It’s weird thinking of you in your forties. For some reason, I always remember dreaming of life in my twenties and thirties but never the forties. No, I didn’t think you’d be dead before forty but in my younger years, it seemed so far away. So unattainable.

43-year-old Sanch — how are you?

I hope you are content with life. I know that ten years ago, there was a lot of discontent. A great deal of soul-searching. I do hope you are closer now than you were ten years ago.

Ten years ago you were struggling with disconnection and loneliness. I hope you have found the connections you so desire. While I know it does not have to be with several hundred people, I hope you have found your tribe. I also hope they haven’t let you down.

I can’t help but wonder where you live. Are you still on the Central Coast? Or did you move back home to the Shire? If you did, I hope you don’t have to battle Sydney traffic on a daily basis. I assume it has only become worse. Or did you manage to find a job in the beloved South Coast and move down to that idyllic locale you frequented? After all, in ten years’ time, I’d hope there would be more job in the health department down that way. Or did you decide to chuck it all, be courageous, and move states — a seachange to the Sunshine Coast or Cairns?

What about writing? I hope you have finished a book at the very least. Of course, if you have been published in your forties, that’s an awesome achievement too. But for now, I hope you’ve finished a book and submitted stories and poems. I also hope you are having the balance of writing and psychology you so craved ten years ago.

Are you less of a perfectionist in your forties? I sure hope so. Ten years ago, the perfectionism was eating you inside and affecting your relationships. I hope you have sorted that out and are less of a Type-A personality.

Pebbles and Buttons must be quite old by now — 15 years, in fact. They would have continued to enrich your life. I don’t even want to begin to imagine what you have to go through when you finally say goodbye to them.

If you are in a relationship — whether with Mr Imperfect or someone else — I hope you are happy. More importantly, if you are single and independent, I hope you are content too. I hope you are continuing to have adventures and push yourself to get out of your comfort zone. Being brave was always hard but you managed it ten years ago and I’m sure you are doing it now.

I will stop my ramblings now and wish you well.

Much love,
33-year-old Sanch

If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away.

Corinne from Everyday Gyaan and yours truly give you writing prompts and all you have to do is choose any one of those prompts to blog about and link up every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.

Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.

Prompts for 12th May 2017:
1. Write a letter to your future self – 10, 15 or 20 years from now
2. Share a book review
3. Show us your handwriting
4. “Adventure isn’t hanging on a rope off the side of a mountain. Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day to day obstacles in life.” – John Amatt. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one
5. Picture Prompt (credit: Parul Kashyap Thakur from Happinessandfood)

We look forward to reading your posts. Please comment on the other posts, share the love and vote for your favourite on Monday.

Featured Image: Pixabay

20 Comments

Obsessivemom
    May 12, 2017 at 12:01 pm

It’s tough to think how different your life would be ten years hence – hoping your dreams and aspirations would have been fulfilled at least in part. I loved the things you want – a book, peace in your relationships and a balance between writing and psychology. Good luck Sanch. Hope we’re still in touch through your blog until all of that happens.
    Obsessivemom recently posted…The room on the roofMy Profile

Obsessivemom
    May 12, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Obsessivemom recently posted…The room on the roofMy Profile

Our Guest House #FridayReflections #RumiInspired - Everyday Gyaan
    May 12, 2017 at 1:49 pm

[…] to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away. Sanch of Living My Imperfect Life and Everyday Gyaan give you writing prompts and all you have to do is choose any one of those […]

Our Guest House #FridayReflections #RumiInspired - Everyday Gyaan
    May 12, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710
    May 12, 2017 at 5:20 pm

Yes, the book is a must! An anthology of poems or a fiction novel, you’ll have an assured reader here, Sanch! ❤
    Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710 recently posted…Magically musical #BookReviewMy Profile

Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710
    May 12, 2017 at 5:20 pm

The Unknown Journey Ahead
    May 12, 2017 at 8:07 pm

This is an exercise I should have tried when I was younger. Being in my 60’s, I might be a bit scared of reading a letter to my future self 10 years from now. I hope that you attain many of your dreams in the next 10 years, but you may be surprised at the turns life hands you – and that you end up happy with the unexpected life.
    The Unknown Journey Ahead recently posted…The Great Adventure #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

The Unknown Journey Ahead
    May 12, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Mahati ramya adivishnu
    May 14, 2017 at 12:00 am

It’s a different experience to write a letter to our future. We will get matured for sure, which would be a right guess. Nice post Sanch.

Mahati ramya adivishnu
    May 14, 2017 at 12:00 am

Bellybytes
    May 14, 2017 at 1:30 am

I’m sure you’ll be achieving all the things you hope to achieve in your 40s. And even if you don’t let me assure you that those are the best times yet… Embrace them .

Bellybytes
    May 14, 2017 at 1:30 am

Ashleigh My Meow
    May 15, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Times two that is a lovely letter. I get sad when I think about the fur babies being that old!

Ashleigh My Meow
    May 15, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Shantala
    May 16, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Your letter has inspired me to write one of my own. I am not sure if I would publish it, or keep it for my own records, but I will definitely write one.

In 10 years, I hope you achieve everything you wished to, Sanch. And definitely publish a book much sooner than that.
    Shantala recently posted…Half Girlfriend Review / Therapeutic Rant on Love & ConsentMy Profile

Shantala
    May 16, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Living My Dream - Everyday Gyaan
    May 19, 2017 at 2:25 am

Living My Dream - Everyday Gyaan
    May 19, 2017 at 2:25 am

Sreesha
    May 31, 2017 at 7:21 pm

We’ll come back to this ten years later, read it together, and smile at how different and lovely everything is 🙂

PS: I found something in my old archives recently, something similar to this which was like a wake up call to present day me. I should write a post about it too!
    Sreesha recently posted…The TributeMy Profile