Life

Neat freak or messy monster? #FridayReflections

Growing up, my parents were extremely neat and tidy. The house was spotless most of the time and they loved to dust. They also made sure there were no dishes in the sink at night. And none of this was done by a maid; my parents did it themselves. Needless to say, it was frustrating.

After all, no kid likes having their parents come and dust and tidy their room or move things around. No kid like having to scrub their own bathrooms spotless or keep their belongings tidy. But we did it. With a lot of grumbling, whinging and comments about obsessive-compulsive parents.

Moving out of home at twenty-one, I thought I would be free of all their cleanliness control. But it turned out, I’d learnt to be a bit tidy myself. The first time I shared with two guys who couldn’t be bothered doing their dishes, I found out it really annoyed me. While I didn’t need to have all the dishes done before bed, when there were twenty plates stacked up {not exaggerating!} I almost lost my shit!

I lived with some slobs and some reasonably tidy people through uni. Later, I shared with someone who was a neat freak to the point where he expected me to wash my cup in the morning before work. I left that place after a couple of months. Then there was The Ex. He was a slob. There’s no other way of putting it. In between, I had housemates that were quite all right in terms of cleaning but now, with Mr Imperfect, it’s back to having different cleaning styles and expectations.

Basically, I’ve realised I’m more like my parents than not.

I’ve become the insufferable neat freak.

Sure, I don’t dust as often and I don’t expect the dishes to be done every night. I also don’t make my bed each day but just pull the doona cover neatly. But I do like the house to be tidy and presentable. I do like the dishes done within two days at least. I don’t like clothes scattered in the lounge room {unless we have rainy weather and have no choice!}. So while the house isn’t ever spotless {it can’t be with two cats and a human being that shed!}, I do long for it to be tidy. And when it isn’t so, it stresses me out. When I stress out, it’s not good for anyone as I become a cranky bitch.

How did that even happen? Where did the teenager grumbling about neat parents go?

It’s like we come around to who we were always meant to be.

Are you a neat freak or a messy monster?

Do share!

If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away.

Corinne from Everyday Gyaan and yours truly give you writing prompts and all you have to do is choose any one of those prompts to blog about and link up every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.

Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.

Prompts for 19th May 2017:
1. Are you messy or neat? What about your family/people you share your house with? Does it work well?
2.Write something inspired by a recent dream you had
3. Write about the sounds of silence
4. “If happiness is the goal – and it should be, then adventures should be top priority.” – Richard Branson. Use this quote to inspire your post or within it
5. Picture prompt (credit: Everyday Gyaan)

Our featured writers for 12th May as voted by you were Ankita for sharing her handwriting and her heart, and Corinne for her thought-provoking post on the little adventures in life. If you want to be our chosen writer this week, all you have to do is write a post on one of the above prompts and link up below. Do remember to share the love and come back on Monday to vote for your favourite!

30 Comments

Living My Dream - Everyday Gyaan
    May 19, 2017 at 2:32 am

[…] to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away. Sanch of Living My Imperfect Life and Everyday Gyaan give you writing prompts and all you have to do is choose any one of those […]

Living My Dream - Everyday Gyaan
    May 19, 2017 at 2:32 am

Shantala
    May 19, 2017 at 7:16 am

I used to be the quintessential neat freak. So much so that I drove a lot of people around me nuts. But I’ve decided that I value my relationships and my sanity more than my need for everything to be perfect. So while I am still more of a neat freak, I have learnt to overlook the everyday messes of life. This is such a good prompt. I am definitely going to try and link up.
    Shantala recently posted…Half Girlfriend Review / Therapeutic Rant on Love & ConsentMy Profile

Sanch Writes
      May 20, 2017 at 5:36 pm

I think I need to value relationships over the neatness too but honestly, the mess stresses me out but so does cleaning up after someone else! Sigh…

Do link up if you can! 🙂

Shantala
    May 19, 2017 at 7:16 am

Sanch Writes
      May 20, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Do link up if you can! 🙂

Rajlakshmi
    May 19, 2017 at 7:51 am

I thought I was tidy until I started living with my husband. It’s like I married Monica from friends. I really don’t mind the kitchen but bathroom has to be spotless. Sometimes I go in to get something and end up cleaning taps or wiping the spots off the mirror. It’s really difficult to live with roommates who don’t even maintain some general cleanliness. I can understand how frustrating it can get.

Sanch Writes
      May 20, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Lol…I wouldn’t mind my partner being like Monica. Although to be fair, that’d be like living with my parents again! I am picky about kitchen, bathroom and the living area. Not so much the bedroom 😛

Rajlakshmi
    May 19, 2017 at 7:51 am

Sanch Writes
      May 20, 2017 at 5:37 pm

The Unknown Journey Ahead
    May 19, 2017 at 10:25 am

I’m messy. I grew up messy. For a while, as an adult, I was neat, but I have (have I ever)lapsed into my old ways.

The Unknown Journey Ahead
    May 19, 2017 at 10:25 am

SHALINI BAISIWALA
    May 19, 2017 at 11:53 am

Ha ha ha!! I blame my Mom for my OCD over cleanliness now. I used to be just like you described yourself as a child; my mom was the stickler and would go around cleaning up.
    Now I have become so and man it drives me up the wall as I try to tell myself to ignore!!! I cant chase my own mess 24 hours and am trying to let it be!!
    Great prompt Sanchi – I think I should scribble a few lines too!! 😉

SHALINI BAISIWALA
    May 19, 2017 at 11:53 am

Great prompt Sanchi – I think I should scribble a few lines too!! 😉

Bellybytes
    May 19, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Ha ha. Beware of making fun of your parents – the apple never falls far from the tree. We land up being more like them than we imagined – subliminal messaging? I’m neither a clean freak nor a messy monster. On the whole I like things to be kept in the right place so that I can find them. I don’t like dusty and dirty places but I don’t kill myself keeping my home clean. My husband is completely OCD and can tell me where every paper is kept. He polishes his own shoes every week ( even if he doesn’t wear them) so compared to him I’m a slob….
    Bellybytes recently posted…Summer Friday #SkywatchFridayMy Profile

Bellybytes
    May 19, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Bellybytes recently posted…Summer Friday #SkywatchFridayMy Profile

Dashy
    May 19, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Haha, a messy monster in here. My parents aren’t neat freaks, although they aren’t messy either. My bed’s almost always full of clothes, books and USB cables, which are shifted to my table at night. And I needn’t even mention how my hostel room was. I’m grateful to my roommate who occasionally tidied up my table without any complain. I always plan to clean up but rarely implement the plan!
    Dashy recently posted…From Fresher to SophomoreMy Profile

Dashy
    May 19, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Dashy recently posted…From Fresher to SophomoreMy Profile

Fallen from Grace {Friday Reflection} - Shalzmojo
    May 20, 2017 at 11:01 am

[…] about the sounds of silence and linking up with Sanchie for Friday’s […]

Fallen from Grace {Friday Reflection} - Shalzmojo
    May 20, 2017 at 11:01 am

[…] about the sounds of silence and linking up with Sanchie for Friday’s […]

Obsessivemom
    May 20, 2017 at 3:57 pm

It’s a struggle all the way. Trying to change into a neat freak when I’m a messy monster at heart. Sigh!
    Obsessivemom recently posted…Supermom!My Profile

Obsessivemom
    May 20, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Obsessivemom recently posted…Supermom!My Profile

Ashleigh My Meow
    May 20, 2017 at 5:34 pm

My mum used to pick up things of mine that I left on the floor and throw them outside in the bin! I soon learnt not to leave things on the floor. Have been more relaxed with James though. He’s not so clean. But is in the kitchen!
    Ashleigh My Meow recently posted…Day 24 Reflections – 42 Days of SummerMy Profile

Ashleigh My Meow
    May 20, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Ness
    May 21, 2017 at 11:31 am

Messy Monster here. BOO!

It’s probably a good thing that you picked up your parents ways. It’s not very helpful in life being a messy monster. Sigh.

Ness
    May 21, 2017 at 11:31 am

Messy Monster here. BOO!

Lux G.
    May 23, 2017 at 4:37 pm

I’m somewhere in between. I don’t like to see the room or house getting so messy but at the same time, I’m not the one who freaks out when things go out of place. 🙂

I wonder how I’ll make my future kids do chores without much complaining. Ha!

Lux G.
    May 23, 2017 at 4:37 pm

I wonder how I’ll make my future kids do chores without much complaining. Ha!

J.Gi Federizo
    May 23, 2017 at 6:50 pm

I am somewhat in-between. I hate mess!!! But I am not entirely the neat-freak. My idea really is, if you can’t dust things or clean things as often as you should, at least keep them organized. But I do hate it if I’m the only one who bothers when dust is already accumulating like crazy! I live with three males now and their idea of clean is totally different than mine. Whenever I go home and my husband sees me scowling, he now says, “Why? Is the house a mess again? But we cleaned!” And he’s right–right that what I consider still messy is what makes me scowl…LOL!!!
    J.Gi Federizo recently posted…AbsoLOOTly Geeking Out for Dream Crate #AskWednesdayMy Profile

J.Gi Federizo