Life

On last days #FridayReflections

Last days tend to be bittersweet. Saying goodbye to people you’ve known either for years, months or weeks while also looking forward to new starts. Packing up things with the knowledge of leaving; a memory attached to most. Having a farewell, either understated or huge. Leaving a mark behind.

I have left a few jobs in my ten years of working full time. They have all been different. Some have been harder than others. There were tears when I left my first permanent job after two years as I was leaving not because I disliked the work but rather, because I wanted a full time position and further my learning. So when there was a lovely speech thanking me for my contribution and a bouquet of flowers, I burst into tears.

It got easier leaving the next couple of jobs and then, I stayed in one for almost six years. By far, that was the hardest to leave. Colleagues had become friends. They weren’t just people I shared an office space with but rather, friends who had seen me end a relationship, go through the ups and downs of dating, start a new relationship, experience burnout and bounce back, and of course, supported me through the days of seeing complex clients. While I may not have burst into tears, I did shed silent ones as I left.

More recently, I left a job I had only been in for a short time. There wasn’t a sense of sadness at leaving the colleagues, who although were fantastic, I still hadn’t gotten to know very well. But the wistfulness of what could have been, remained.

As I think it always does.

When one journey ends, there is always a new one. But no one knows what that new journey is going to be like. We hope it will be good. But there are times – and I’ve experienced it twice – it is not.

Then we think in hindsight, how different things could have been, if we’d never said goodbye in the first place.

Life always does look better in hindsight.

If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away.

Corinne from Everyday Gyaan and yours truly give you one writing prompts a week to blog about and link up every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.

Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.

The prompt for this week is the Picture Prompt you see in the featured image.

Our prompt for next week, 4th August 2017, is Cacophony. Put on your thinking caps!

13 Comments

Bellybytes
    July 28, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Leaving is always hard even when you hate
    a situation and are dying to get out . And indeed life is always better in hindsight

Bellybytes
    July 28, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Leaving is always hard even when you hate

Rajlakshmi
    July 28, 2017 at 10:01 pm

It’s really hard to leave a place that you love, where colleagues become friends and workplace makes you feel comfortable. I have left only one job and that was very difficult. But sometimes all we need is a new beginning to set things straight.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Art: When #MSPaint was my 4am friendMy Profile

Rajlakshmi
    July 28, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Rajlakshmi recently posted…Art: When #MSPaint was my 4am friendMy Profile

Bhavya
    July 28, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Hmm leaving is indeed hard, but I experienced something similar to what you said. The last job I quit, while they were a good bunch my colleagues didn’t make me all sad and teary eyed. And I am one person whose eyes fill up at the drop of a hat. I guess I was too excited about starting my own venture. Good Luck to you Sanch 🙂

Bhavya
    July 28, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Lata Sunil
    July 28, 2017 at 10:43 pm

Good byes are hard. I get very teary and I hate it. But change is important I move ahead , for better opportunities. It’s all for the best in the long run, like getting off a train. All the best Sanch.

Lata Sunil
    July 28, 2017 at 10:43 pm

Pratikshya Mishra
    July 29, 2017 at 4:15 pm

I left my first job this month only … After working there for 2 years… I still do miss them, the people some of whom had become emotional support systems.. and the times, the journey to n fro office.. the chats over snacks.. everything.. the deadline frenzies…

Starting new .. from the beginning is tough too…
    Pratikshya Mishra recently posted…Small Servings Of Wellness #BlogChatterEbooksMy Profile

Pratikshya Mishra
    July 29, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Starting new .. from the beginning is tough too…

Shantala
    August 1, 2017 at 4:14 am

Oh I know how difficult it gets when we start pondering about the what-if’s and if-only’s , so try not to focus on them.
    Instead look at the next job/project as something that you can mold any way you want. I am aware that it might not turn out that way. But a positive attitude makes a tremendous difference in our overall experience of any situation.
    Shantala recently posted…My Quarterly Goals for Summer Quarter (Jul– Sep 2017)My Profile

Shantala
    August 1, 2017 at 4:14 am

Sorry You Are Leaving #MondayMusings - Everyday Gyaan
    September 14, 2017 at 3:15 am

[…] wrote ‘Sorry you are leaving’ in response to a #FridayReflections prompt from Sanch Vee, but didn’t publish it. I decided to publish it this Monday,the day after my Mom’s […]