Life lessons

A life without regrets #FridayReflections

We are all going to die one day. Some of us will be more fortunate and see it coming. For others, it might be more sudden. How do we know then, if we have lived a good life? Will we have regrets? A recent qualitative study with people in palliative care showed that people  typically have five regrets when they are dying.

People mainly regret not pursuing their dreams and aspirations and instead conforming to what society expects them to do. Additionally, they regret not expressing their feelings, working too hard and letting it get in the way of their family life, losing touch with friends and not letting themselves be happier.

It made me wonder about my life. It made me wonder about what I would regret if I were to die. Would I regret growing apart from some people? Would I regret how hard I’m working? Would I regret letting some people go?

I’m making changes. Slowly but surely.

I am doing my best to connect and re-connect. I have been making an effort to go out and meet new people but also make sure I connect with those I know. I have been reaching out and inviting people over, organising things with new friends I’ve made, being open and authentic while trying to keep the connections going.

While I don’t see the problem in working hard, I’m also trying to slow down and not work like a crazy person for over 50 hours a week. It starts this week with me having time to focus on things like writing, reading, listening to music or even just daydreaming and creating.

One thing I notice about myself is that I want to keep busy. To keep going from one thing to the next. Sometimes I wonder if I’m searching for happiness. For the big thing that will somehow miraculously make me content for life. Realistically though I know it is about the little things. The everyday stuff. I need to make a conscious effort to focus on that.

As I continue to work on myself, I hope to right some wrongs of the past. I hope to reach out and be big enough to apologise to those I may have hurt in some ways. It will require being vulnerable and courageous but I hope I can get to a stage where I can do that.

Maybe then, when I die one day, I will have few regrets.

If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away.

Corinne from Everyday Gyaan and yours truly give you one writing prompts a week to blog about and link up every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.

Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.

The prompt for this week is “Then I wondered if everybody has that person that haunts them, the one that got away.” ― Marlon James, A Brief History of Seven Killings. You can use the entire quote in your post or else as a theme for your post.

You can link up your posts below and don’t forget to share the love!

Our prompt for 28th July is the picture prompt below:

Featured Image: Pixabay

16 Comments

Vinay Leo R.
    July 21, 2017 at 4:17 pm

That balance between too much work and too much relaxation is very important. It helps to meet new people, keep in touch with those who care for you. Even I’m making changes toward realizing one or two of the dreams that seem to have gotten away but in truth, are there should I seek them out. Hope that they see me seeking and decide to slow down 🙂
    Vinay Leo R. recently posted…Anything but books… #MondayMusingsMy Profile

Vinay Leo R.
    July 21, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Vinay Leo R. recently posted…Anything but books… #MondayMusingsMy Profile

Bellybytes
    July 21, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Seeing your commitment to change your life so that you regain/retain some balance, I am sure you will not have any regrets when you die….. And if you do die with regrets , remember that you aren’t the only one. We all have something that remains left to be done…. Hell we’re human not humanoids.
    Bellybytes recently posted…Leaving Geronimo behind #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

Bellybytes
    July 21, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Bellybytes recently posted…Leaving Geronimo behind #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

The One That Got Away? #FridayReflections - Everyday Gyaan
    July 21, 2017 at 5:48 pm

[…] Vee from Living My Imperfect Life and yours truly give you one writing prompt a week to blog about and link to every Friday. The link […]

The One That Got Away? #FridayReflections - Everyday Gyaan
    July 21, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Geethica Mehra
    July 21, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Human is always in search of something. If he gets one thing he will wanting to go for another. That’s nature. But a person should find peace from inside; in whatever he does without any regrets. Then he may die peacefully

Geethica Mehra
    July 21, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Roshan Radhakrishnan
    July 21, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Beautiful post. And something I can really connect to at this point in my life. And yes, most of these thoughts have been floating in my head for awhile now. But I haven’t been able to make that leap yet … The leap from the absolute inertia of present day life to where I want to atleast be
    Roshan Radhakrishnan recently posted…Book Review: Half a Shadow – Dr Anurag ShourieMy Profile

Sanch Writes
      July 21, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Apart from the connections, most of mine are still in the thinking stage! I think it’s always a process, we take it one step at a time. The busy-ness of life does make it hard though

Roshan Radhakrishnan
    July 21, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Sanch Writes
      July 21, 2017 at 9:47 pm

The Unknown Journey Ahead
    July 23, 2017 at 7:06 am

Righting wrongs of the past – apologizing – trying to mend relationship that have gone wrong – that is quite a project, but a most worthwhile one. I can think back on my life – I came so close to losing a friendship because I said something stupid – if it had been reversed, would I have forgiven her? I do wonder, as that friend now faces a serious illness.

The Unknown Journey Ahead
    July 23, 2017 at 7:06 am

Sheethal
    July 24, 2017 at 10:59 pm

I am going through that phase of “too much work”. Trying to regain the balance between work and life is the most difficult thing. I was always impressed with the effort you put to do things that make you happy. With the way you’re going there won’t be anything to regret when you die.
    Sheethal recently posted…The One That Got AwayMy Profile