Writing

Why you need your tribe #FridayReflections

As writers, we tend to live in our heads a great deal. We observe. We reflect. We search for inspiration. And then, we write. While it is enjoyable to imagine and create, it is also quite a solitary job. After a while, you long for human connection. For company. Or even just for someone to share your ideas with.

But who gets it?

You might get along great with people at work. But they might not understand your passion for writing. You might have those friends from your school or university days. But it was always something else that drew you together. Or you might have friends through other interests you have. While you can share hours on those interests, it can still be hard to explain all the stories in your head.

And that’s why you need your tribe.

You know your tribe.

They are the ones who cheer you on when you struggle with writer’s block. They nod and add constructive feedback when you talk about your work-in-progress. Or they tell you when to kill your darlings. Your tribe comments on all your blog posts and continues a conversation where you last left off. They give you prompts to further your writing skills. You can have private conversations with them on Facebook or Twitter or WhatsApp where you rant about how your character is not doing what you want them to or even just about a day devoid of creativity. They get your umpteen references about Harry Potter and life. And tell you it’s okay to have gazillion story ideas but to actually stick with one.

Over time, it’s this very tribe that encourages you in life. They reach out to you far beyond the writing and the words. They become your shoulder to cry on when you are struggling with loneliness. They speak to you late into the night about everything and nothing. They get furious with you when you rant about daily experiences. They accept you for you.

So stick with this tribe. Because without them, you won’t go far.

As for my tribe, I hope you all know who you are.

If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away.

Corinne from Everyday Gyaan and yours truly give you one writing prompts a week to blog about and link up every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.

Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.

The prompt for this week is “No bird soars too high if he flies on his own wings” – William Blake. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.

Our prompt for next week, 25th August is – Pick up the book you are reading and choose the 25th word on page 25; use it as a title for your post {if the word is something like ‘the’ or ‘this’, you can use the next word!}

Photo by Providence Doucet on Unsplash

14 Comments

Soar Like A Bird #FridayReflections - Everyday Gyaan
    August 18, 2017 at 12:14 am

[…] Sanchie Vee from Living My Imperfect Life and yours truly give you one writing prompt a week to blog about and link to every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked in too. […]

What did I gain from Blogging Communities? #FridayReflections | Kohl Eyed Me
    August 18, 2017 at 4:30 am

[…] I’m linking the post to Friday Reflections by Corinne and Sanch. […]

Shalini
    August 18, 2017 at 4:42 am

Exactly! Community is everything when it comes to blogging. I don’t know where I would be if not for my tribe 🙂
    Shalini recently posted…What did I gain from Blogging Communities? #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

Lillian Csernica
    August 18, 2017 at 5:26 am

Lovely post. Nobody understand writers like other writers do. Cheering each other on does a lot to keep me connected and fend off the isolation that can be so depressing.

Vanessa
    August 18, 2017 at 8:33 am

There is a level of ….comfort? … (I’m not sure of the best word) that comes from just being able to splurt your brain to someone who gets it.
    Vanessa recently posted…My Non Ekka StaycationMy Profile

Jodi Gibson
    August 18, 2017 at 9:26 am

Love this Sanch.
    Jodi Gibson recently posted…A Day in the Life of a Writer: Kylie LaddMy Profile

Keerthi Vydyula
    August 18, 2017 at 10:52 pm

I am relatively new to the write tribe community but i can tell for sure that it indeed helped me a lot. Lovely post 🙂

Esha
    August 19, 2017 at 12:11 am

Absolutely, Sanch. No second thoughts about how much the communities continue to help and support us in gaining foothold as bloggers. Loved this post, Sanch.
    Esha recently posted…Three Random Skyshots – SkywatchFriday #52My Profile

Don't Do That, Listen To Me - Ishithaa
    August 19, 2017 at 3:45 am

[…] Linking this to Writing Wednesdays and to Friday Reflections. […]

akshata
    August 19, 2017 at 8:21 pm

I can’t agree more on this one. Especially after becoming a blogger and meeting an awesome bunch of people online I strongly feel this tribe has become such an integral part of life

Bhavya
    August 19, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Absolutely. A tribe is a must. Where would we be without the unwavering support and feedback from our tribe.

Aparna
    August 24, 2017 at 12:32 am

The quote by William Blake got me. Beautifully said. And so very true!

Ashleigh My Meow
    September 5, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Absolutely. Sometimes people criticise making friends online but I’ve actually found the most beautiful connections and support through writing friends.

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      September 5, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Totally agree! I have shared more with connections online than offline at times