Life lessons

From impossible to opportunity #FridayReflections

If you’re anything like me, there have probably been several situations in your life where you thought you wouldn’t cope. You wouldn’t come out the other side. I remember coming to Australia as a fresh-faced 21-year-old. Within the first month, I faced a number of setbacks including homesickness, finding the wrong place to live, and realising I might not actually have enough points to migrate as a skilled migrant. For an anxious person, all those together is equivalent to facing death. Fortunately, I stuck it out and faced these situations. Some things changed such as the migration requirements. Other things I took in my own hands, such as my living situation. It opened me up to some really good friendships and convenience for the next three years of university life.

In a similar vein, when my first long-term relationship ended some years ago, I didn’t know if I’d cope. For some months, I kinda didn’t. I became a workaholic and focussed on my fitness. But then, a dear friend leaving left me with two options: stay in my comfort zone and be lonely or get out of my comfort zone and meet people. What I thought was an impossible and scary situation turned out to be the best thing ever. Sure, I still missed my friend but I moved on from the relationship, met new friends, and became so much more confident than I’d ever been.

I am in a situation now that seems a bit like those. Having ended a relationship almost four months ago, being in a place where I have had to make new friends again, dealing with tough times at work — all seem difficult. Part of me feels like giving it all up and running away to a tiny seaside town and hiding under the blankets. I don’t know what that would achieve but it has crossed my mind.

And yet, knowing what I know from past experiences, this too might open up opportunities. Ones that I may not yet see or dream about but ones that will open up. Because it is these types of situations that make or break us.

And I choose to not break. I choose to push on.

Hopefully one day, I’ll see why.

If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away.

Corinne from Everyday Gyaan and yours truly give you one writing prompts a week to blog about and link up every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.

Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.

The prompt for this week is “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.” – Charles Swindoll. Use this quote within your post or as an inspiration for one.

Our prompt for next week, 22nd September is the picture prompt below (credit: Sanch Writes)

11 Comments

The Unknown Journey Ahead
    September 15, 2017 at 9:31 pm

All of us have to start over time and again, some of us more than others. Respect to you-I’ve never had the experience of living in a foreign country or having had to start over in the ways you have.

Dr Roshan Radhakrishnan
    September 16, 2017 at 1:12 am

I know what you mean… have been down this path and still suffer the pangs of insecurity… but ironically, I also double as a motivator for friends who are going through the same stuff because I know the rocky road I have walked on so i can make it easier for them when they get insecure…. and yes, we need to hold on to hope during our darkest moments… without it, we will be nothing.
    Dr Roshan Radhakrishnan recently posted…The Chronological Order of the Marvel Cinematic UniverseMy Profile

Paula, The Geeky Shopaholic
    September 16, 2017 at 9:48 am

Past experiences are often a comfort, aren’t they? We know we survived once so we know we can survive again. 🙂

Ness
    September 16, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Beautifully written Sanch. Your courage and resilience shines through in everything you do. I wish I was more like you.

Impossible Situations Or Great Opportunities #FridayReflections - Everyday Gyaan
    September 16, 2017 at 7:15 pm

[…] Sanch Vee  and yours truly give you one writing prompt a week to blog about and link to every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked in too. […]

Shilpa Garg
    September 17, 2017 at 2:53 am

Agree completely! Impossible situations push us to step out of our comfort zones and find different/new solutions. And these are great opportunities to expand our horizons and potential.

Shalini
    September 17, 2017 at 3:30 am

I’m so proud of you, Sanchie! It takes a brave heart to push on. I know this because I have been in many situations where I thought I wouldn’t be able to survive. But I guess I believed that even this will pass.

Sheethal Susan Jacob
    September 17, 2017 at 7:10 am

Just keep pushing and you’re going to come out of this too strongly. So proud of you. I know it’s difficult, but it’s worth the effort. <3
    Sheethal Susan Jacob recently posted…Come back. Even as a shadow, even as a dream.My Profile

Bellybytes
    September 17, 2017 at 8:54 pm

I completely agree with you Sanch. Life provides us opportunities in many ways – sometimes in challenges or adversities too. I find every experience a learning experience and in hindsight find that everything almost always works out for the best though we may not think so at that time.

Corinne Rodrigues
    September 17, 2017 at 8:57 pm

I’m always in awe of how strong you are, Sanch. It takes great inner strength to move out of one’s comfort zone and you’ve done that time and again. May you continue to grow in strength and purpose.

Rajlakshmi
    September 19, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I was in a slump about 5 years ago and used to feel bad about my life not going anywhere. That’s when I took a decision… Stood by it and have never looked back since then. We need to take risks, prompt ourselves to explore and find joy. I love how strong you have been all through. It’s very inspiring and I am many would relate to this and feel better after reading your words.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…5 things that my dog taught meMy Profile