Life

A dream come true

30th October 2008 — a dream of 10 years finally came true. (No, I haven’t got my permanent residency yet…still waiting on that dream/goal) It’s a day I will never forget.

I MET ADAM GILCHRIST!!!!

Yes, I finally met Gilly after all these years of waiting.

I went for his book signing at Dymocks at Penrith. It was scheduled for 6 p.m. so I left straight after work (3:15) to reach Penrith, which took me about 2 hours. Anyhoo, I got there and the line was quite long. And it was only 5:30. While standing in the line, I got some weird looks by the security guards at Westfield —I think that’s because I was the only Indian in the line. Everyone else was Anglo. Given all the recent ‘Sachin fiasco’, I guess they may have just been wondering whether I was there to throw something at Gilly. As if!!!

Gilly arrived at around 6:30 due to traffic (that’s what you get for having it out at Penrith, I guess) and he passed by me to get in to the store. He smiled at me and said “Hi” in reply to my nervous one. That in itself, made my day. I would have been ok if he didn’t get to us people far back in the line just because he spoke a word to me and was an arm’s length away.

Finally, about an hour later, I was there — getting my copy of ‘True Colours’ signed by my idol. And standing next to him posing for a picture (thanks to the lady I met while standing in the line for taking the pic…don’t know what I would have done otherwise). And then, having him look at me and say something (I think he said “Hi, how you going…and nice to meet you”). I was in such a daze that all I could say was “It’s really nice to meet you”.

I guess I am just glad I didn’t say or do anything stupid. Like give him a hug. Or squeal with excitement. Or tell him how I have followed his career since the start to the very end. Or how my room used to be filled with his posters. Or how I have collected heaps of his pictures. Or how much of an inspiration he has been to me. Or how much he influenced my ability to go for my dreams, no matter what other people may say or think.

Gilly, I am just glad you are what you are. You are the person as on telly. Just as an example of his niceness, he signed t-shirts and bats for kids that were present (in spite of Dymocks informing us that he would only sign copies of the books).

Gilly, you are genuine. I could tell from the smile you gave me (and probably everyone else). Anyone else in your position would not bother to actually pose for the picture but would keep signing to finish off the ‘chore’.

If anything, I have more respect for him. I admire him even more than I did. I am even more inspired by him.

Thank you, Gilly, for all you have done.

And for finally making my dream come true. You are exactly what I hoped you would be, and more.

It was worth the wait.

Tash
    November 1, 2008 at 6:04 am

Great post!

Giving him a hug wouldn’t have been something stupid! I think he is the type of person you just want to hug! Bless!

Orhan Kahn
    November 1, 2008 at 9:29 am

Said picture offically demanded. Stat!

And congratulations on meeting your idol. Thats not something people often to get to do 🙂

And wtf, Penrith? Insanity.

November 2, 2008 at 1:33 am

@ Tash: I reckon the security guards would have kicked me out had I done that. Then again, I may have just been etched in Gilly’s memory for doing something so outrageous! 😛

@ Orhan: Due to the anonymity of the blog, I am not putting up the pic. I’m getting hate-mail (hate-comments, to be precise) from some Indians — so don’t want them to be able to identify me! 😛

Orhan Kahn
    November 3, 2008 at 8:53 am

Wow, peoples hate on you? Now thats hard to believe. You comment moderation all makes sense now.

Tell ’em all to eat cake!

Kartikey
    November 6, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Hmm… I was gonna say ‘wow’, lucky girl who meets her idol.
    And then I read about the hate-comments from some ‘Indians’. (I was the only one, right?)

😐

That’s how you read my comment.

In any case, I was very young when I almost met Sachin. He waited five minutes for me to turn up but I couldn’t trace him. Met Kumble. Got a photograph. Was fun.

November 9, 2008 at 9:55 pm

@ Kartikey: I did not see your comment as being a ‘hate comment’. I have just not published a couple which I did get. But on the whole, I’m real glad with the anonymity for the moment. 🙂

And congratulations on meeting Kumble.

Braja
    November 19, 2008 at 2:08 am

I’m very happy for you. But I don’t know who he is… :)))

November 19, 2008 at 6:36 am

@ Braja: Thanks for visiting and commenting! Gilly is Adam Gilchrist, a cricketer. At present, he is probably the most hated person in India 🙂

legallyalien
    June 2, 2009 at 4:39 am

No picture? My bf and I love looooove Gilly & Steve Waugh. We went to watch an India-Aus match at Gabba but it rained and it broke our hearts that we couldn’t watch Gilly. It was one of the last matches he played 🙁 Btw, we got very strange looks at Gabba too coz we were cheering for Gilly. LOL.
    I’ve met Steve Waugh though…and I could’ve hugged him, though Gilly does seem more huggable! 😉 Lucky you.

June 2, 2009 at 5:48 am

@ legallyalien: Re the picture (or lack of it) that’s because of the anonymity of the blog. I did get a picture and it’s my desktop background since. But hey, if I ever meet you in Qld, I will show it to you since I won’t be anonymous any more! 😛

I saw Steve Waugh as well but did not speak to him…saw him at the movies a month or two ago…just like a regular bloke with his family. Didn’t want to go and ask for his autograph as it would be too forward…

Pranab
    November 16, 2011 at 4:50 am

Came here from you foto update. Gilly is a good cricketer. I am a cricket loving Indian and I think despite everything he is one of the best folks around.

The only cricketer I have met in real life is Saurav Ganguly. 😛

November 16, 2011 at 8:40 am

Gilly is awesome…and I’m biased when it comes to him. I’ve also seen Steve Waugh a few times…he lives locally and I have seen him in the shopping centre with his family…of course, haven’t approached him or anything.

My Life on the Silver Screen — Over Cups of Coffee
    March 22, 2013 at 3:08 pm

[…] like Jess who saw Beckham at the airport, I met my idol Gilly at Penrith (okay, not quite the […]

30 Letter Series: Dear Parents - Living my Imperfect Life
    November 9, 2014 at 9:11 pm

[…] I have managed to buy my own place, have a job I love, get my citizenship, pursue further studies, meet Adam Gilchrist and a guy I love, make new friends who are family as well as explore a great country. And again, […]

On my guest list - Living my Imperfect Life
    October 19, 2015 at 6:35 am

[…] apart from his batting and keeping, it’s what I loved about him. I was fortunate enough to meet him but to have him over for dinner would be even more […]

My Life on the Silver Screen - Living my Imperfect Life