Movies

Burn after Reading

I went to watch ‘Burn after Reading’ last Saturday. There were raving reviews about the movie in the newspapers and on telly. But the cynic in me finds it hard to believe them (“They are paid to say this…”) However, the promos did look interesting.

Anyway, my mate and I decide to go to the Dendy at Newtown for the 6:30 show. We get there by about 6:20 and lo and behold….the line is bloody long!!! I have never seen such a long line at the movies since I have been to Australia and never at the Dendy (where you don’t see little kids!). By the time, we got to the counter, it was 6:45, and the movie had begun. So there had to be a change in plans and we went for the 8:30 show instead.

For the 8:30 show as well, the hall was full. And no I’m not exaggerating. I noticed people who had to sit separately from friends because in some rows there were just single seats available. All of this was lifting my expectations about the movie. I generally try as a rule to not have high expectations as the chances of having them dashed is quite common. But I couldn’t not have such high expectations in this case given the circumstances.

In the end, I was not disappointed. Burn after Reading is an amazingly intelligent movie with it’s black humour. I will not get into the story as I wouldn’t want to give anything away and as for the gist, well any newspaper will tell you that. In my opinion, the movie portrays American society as it is today — narcissistic, lack of empathy, engaging in shallow & meaningless relationships, paranoid and finally, something that I saw as a subtle hint on how George Bush has handled the ‘war against terrorism’. All the actors have done a great job — Frances McDormand as being obsessed with her looks, Tilda Swinton as being a cold bitch, George Clooney as a womanising, paranoid narcissist, Brad Pitt as a slow pretty-boy, and of course, John Malkovich as the crazed ex-CIA agent.

Hats off to the Coen brothers for making people laugh, for shocking us, and for making us think —- all at once.

Orhan Kahn
    October 25, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Will be seeing this one, for sure.

You know, I’ve never been to a Dendy’s before.

October 26, 2008 at 12:37 am

Never? Well, I find it better than the Hoyts and the GU — mainly because no kids/teenagers and partly also coz you can drink while you watch the movie (and no, I don’t mean just diet coke!) 🙂

Orhan Kahn
    October 26, 2008 at 11:35 am

But theres the thing, I always go to Hoyts and pay a little extra for La Prem so that I’m in cushy seats away from the nutters.

I have noticed Dendy’s shows films that aren’t in the mainstream screens. I’m sure I will find myself there soon enough.

October 26, 2008 at 9:43 pm

Yep, they do show the off-shoot films and I’ve started appreciating them more in recent times compared to the usual Hollywood stuff. Been there quite a bit in the last year and only wish I’d known earlier. But, it’s never too late.

And I have no idea about the La Prem seats at Hoyts. Was considering trying out Gold Class at GU, but it looks like a total rip-off.

Orhan Kahn
    October 28, 2008 at 10:40 am

Can’t speak for Gold Class but La Prem is worth it for a good movie. Last movie I saw in La Prem was The Dark Knight and Iron Man before that, so was guranteed some eye candy. Free popcorn, free drinks and they can bring you food and drink during the film at certain times. If you got the dollars its worth it. I’m low-middle class so I splurge from time to time.

How much is your average Dendys viewing?

rahul a
    October 30, 2008 at 1:38 am

i must admit that i wasn’t able to get/appreciate the movie. I like the works of coen brothers but this one missed the mark as far as i am concerned

October 30, 2008 at 1:53 am

@ Orhan: La Prem sounds good…will have to try it if I can afford to. Dendy is $14 for the ticket. Drinks etc are separate.

@ Rahul: Thanks for visiting! I haven’t actually watched any of the Coen brothers’ previous stuff so I couldn’t compare this to any of their other work but rather just compared it to most of the drivel out there (imho).