Gratitude

Makes it all worthwhile…

Thursday was the last day of school for the year.

Thursday night was a presentation night at the school where students were rewarded for effort, performance, community service and the like.

Now, I have earlier talked about sometimes, my job can be frustrating and thankless to a certain extent.

Anyway, the night of the presentation, I had a student (who I’d seen a couple of times) thank me for helping them and prior to that, had a parent who said that treating their anxious child had made a big difference and that they child had become way more independent and less anxious.

It made me really happy.

I realised that I am willing to have 10 kids who don’t want to be in therapy and don’t see a problem if I can have the 2 or 3 that I make a difference with.

It makes all the work and all the effort so very worthwhile.

It makes me realise that I am in the right area.

And that I’m willing to put up with the downs every now and then if I can have a few ups. 🙂

Tash
    December 13, 2008 at 12:20 am

Wow, that’s really awesome! Just 2 or 3 can just keep you going, can’t they – it’s amazing!

Lilly's Life
    December 13, 2008 at 10:32 am

I am so glad that you are doing this job – its like being a teacher I guess – its a thankless task but you are having such a great influence on these kids. Its amazing to think of the lives you may sway in the right direction and the lives you might actually save through your work and never know. So glad you got some thanks. I hope you enjoy your break.

Braja
    December 13, 2008 at 11:50 am

Ms Psycho (or is that Ms Babbler?), I left you a little treat in my sidebar. You have to hunt for it a little though….that’s just the way I am 🙂

Smita
    December 13, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Loved the last few lines. I guess every effort of ours is worthwhile even if one person is benefited by it. What say??

BTW You are Tagged here

December 13, 2008 at 8:35 pm

@ Tash: You got that right! It’s so very rewarding!

@ Lilly: Yeah, a lot like being a teacher I s’pose…and I do love the thought that some day in future, some kid will think back to something we discussed and find it fruitful 🙂

@ Smita: Definitely agree with you…taking from Lilly, it’s like a teacher’s influence, or for that matter even a stranger you meet on the road-side that may make a difference!

Kartikey
    December 14, 2008 at 7:53 am

Well Said!

I admire psychology and consider it a necessary science. And teaching is tough from the point of view of creation of ideas. Behavioral problems are problems of the mind borrowing and not creating.

I hope to teach some day too.

And congratulations!