Life

When it gets personal…

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this in the past but…I love my jobs. They are all as a psychologist. My work can be pretty challenging as I may have mentioned in the past. But I’ve been able to handle it. I love the challenge and each client brings in something new.

However, this past couple of weeks I’ve dealt with someone completely different.

And this person made me question my own abilities. And doubt myself.

They began making personal attacks. The person attacked my level of experience, my competence, my professionalism. While I tried to not take it personally, because I could see the person was attacking me as it reflected on them as a parent, it was hard.

I haven’t doubted myself in the area that the person attacked me. It’s something I would consider as being my area of expertise. An area I could engage in even during my sleep. But when she made the personal attack, she made me doubt so much about myself.

I guess, on the bright side, my boss is on my side. My boss and my supervisor still believe in me and are sticking by me. And that helps me believe in myself and continue to have faith in my abilities.

And so, on that note, I would like to add:

I love my jobs. They are challenging.

But more importantly, I work with great people in all the 3 jobs. And I consider myself oh-so-lucky for that. It’s because of that support I am able to deal with the hardest of clients and the greatest of challenges.

mesoliloquy
    February 25, 2009 at 10:27 am

I blog hopped from somewhere. This is one of the most neatly organized blogs I have seen. Also love the back ground.

As for people putting you down first you ignore and still if it doesn’t stop then give them back in the same coin.

Orhan Kahn
    February 25, 2009 at 10:57 am

Don’t let ass hats get in the way of something you love or something you’re good at!

Smita
    February 25, 2009 at 12:47 pm

πŸ™‚

You are helping people, period!!!!

And trust me believing in self is half the battle won. Professional life main u keep meeting people who might not agree with you but then asli challenge wohi to hai πŸ™‚

MilesPerHour
    February 25, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Having been a counselor, I can understand. It is great to have people who have your back.

Joel
    February 26, 2009 at 1:44 am

>:D< = hug >:D<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>πŸ˜€<>:D<

February 26, 2009 at 9:02 am

@ Mesoliloquy: Thanks for visiting and for the wonderful comments πŸ™‚
    I’m not very good with confrontations…so generally I just suck it up and take it. Fortunately, that’s quite rare to get such comments! Keep visiting!

@ Orhan: Definitely trying not to let that happen…

@ Smita: Thanks. And yes, you are right…such challenges do occur and I guess we all have to deal with similar things every now and then.

@ Milesperhour: Unfortunate isn’t it…esp when you are trying to help people?!

@ Joel: Aw thanks mate! πŸ™‚ >:D<

Roshan
    February 27, 2009 at 2:51 am

Never doubt your abilities for a moment. That person was attacking your abilities as a show of her or his failures. That’s all there is to it. I do know that it gets hard sometimes when faced with criticisms, especially of your work. It is difficult to swallow. I remember feeling insulted at one such case, even though the other person felt that it was only a joke. But you steel yourself and get right back on it.

I cried at work the other day... - Living my Imperfect Life
    August 20, 2017 at 11:15 am

[…] IΒ hateΒ being vulnerable in front of people. Especially ones that I’m not very close to.Β I’ve probably only done it once before. […]