Soapbox Issues

Racial Row

And it’s controversy time once again. I must say I love it. Gives me something to blog on. 🙂

There was a recent incident in Melbourne where four Indian students were attacked in what was allegedly a racial crime. There have also been a couple of other incidents in trains in Melbourne where Indian students were attacked and robbed. And of course, following this, there has been the usual hue and cry from Indians on how racist Aussies are and how no Indians should go to Australia (Bear in mind, some of these comments were from Indians currently living in Australia!!). There are also comments on how this happens only in Australia and would never be seen in the UK or US or Canada. Well, how do you explain this? How come the Indian media did not sensationalise this news about Canada? Is that because Canada don’t have a decent cricket team but the Aussies do?

Now, as I have said before, I have so far not faced any discrimination based on my race. All my friends here are Australian. My work colleagues are Aussies with European backgrounds. In fact, I don’t really have many Indian friends here. I have been open to learning about the Aussie culture and have picked up the slang and understand the sarcasm and the culture of taking the piss out of people. And I am fine with that. At the same time, my friends are curious about the Indian culture and where possible, I have explained stuff to them.

I am not saying that no one in Australia is racist. I’m not that stupid. There are racists everywhere. All over the world. And if we are all truly honest, I’m sure we would find that we are all racist to some extent or the other.

Indians themselves discriminate based on race, religion, region/language, gender. So it’s a situation of the pot calling the kettle black. Individuals of African origin are generally discriminated in India as compared to those of Anglo-origin. Asians are discriminated against. Muslims and Christians are discriminated against in a vastly Hindu country. North Indians discriminate against South Indians. Indian men think western women are “easy” and use that as an excuse for rape. So how is what happened in Australia different to what happens almost every single day in India?

As for the current attacks allegedly committed due to racial discrimination. There is no definitive proof of that. It could just be a situation of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It’s unfortunate, no doubt. Teenagers nowadays are not like before. They are more violent. They are more feral in groups. And that is all over the world. I see clients that have been released from jail and are out on parole and they range from age 14 to 18. Not all of them are of an anglo or white background. The backgrounds vary.

I guess what I’m trying to say in this case is to not always believe the media. The media presented it as a racial attack. Not the police. The police are looking for the attackers in these cases, as they would for any case.

Having said that, it’s common sense for every individual to take precautions in any case in any city or country whether you are white, black, Asian, middle-Eastern, European, Hispanic, or Indian or from anywhere in the world. And most people do try to do that. For instance, in Sydney, when taking a train late at night, it’s just good sense to choose the compartment that’s next to where the guard is stationed.

And to those Indians claiming that every Aussie is racist — it might help if you were more accepting of their culture as well. Education is the key. You are open to education and they will be too. Also, integrating with Aussies (or Americans or British…) rather than just staying within the Indian community even outside of India might actually be more beneficial.

Think about it…

and open your minds

Joel
    May 29, 2009 at 5:09 am

just saw that plastered all over the Indian media .. its on every one of them .. seeing the pics there was an instant thought of .. not ‘ damn they were racist’ more .. poor fellows were unfortunate enough to be there .. .. an empty train .. more of a opportunistic crime .. would have easily have had happened in mumbai .. (well if the trains are ever empty ! ) guess as u said .. people should be using more of the their common sense .. and racism does exist .. i personally have been called a ‘bloody paki’ but u take such things in its own stride .. sensationalizing it only makes things worse .. what should be done is people should be made aware of what would provoke such incidents .. i for instance was working in a low income white neighbour hood .. so that was inevitable .. one day or the other .. just part of the job i guess ..

this is just another case of the insatiable urge for people to stereotype things .. ! a white robbing or beating up a black or brown is instant racism .. when u need to consider that they would probably have done the very same to a white fellow alone on a train .. wearing an expensive watch !

hope ur keepin safe though .. 🙂

May 29, 2009 at 5:17 am

@ Joel: Ah…nice to see someone with sense. 🙂 It is unfortunate what happened to these guys but like you said when you were working in a low income white neighbourhood, it does increase the chance of people being racist. Generally, I think when Indians come to Aus as students, they look for cheap accomodation and that inevitably is not in the best suburbs. So the risk of crime is increased. Oh well, unfortunately, as things go, majority of the people are more willing to believe the media and stereotype things.

Solilo
    May 29, 2009 at 6:03 am

What happened to that boy is really sad but I agree with you that every single person has some racist tendencies even Indians who cry foul always.

We easily tag people as Kaala, gora, this and that and our jokes and even some films borders on racism ,the track they intend to be funny.

May 29, 2009 at 9:39 am

@ Solilo: I do agree that what’s happended to these guys is quite sad. But having said that, we do hear about lots more violent incidents today and not just at Indians here. Alcohol seems to be playing a major cause…but I won’t go there now. And in India too, as you said, there is a lot of discrimination based on skin colour even among Indians!

Ersa
    May 29, 2009 at 4:47 pm

media blows up everything out of proportion…very well written post, Phsych. It makes sooo much sense…I’m sooo with you when you say we need to be accepting of other cultures and open to knowing more about it…rather than just staying within our defined groups and blaming the others for not being open…

Gigi
    May 29, 2009 at 6:48 pm

I totally agree with you that racism exists everywhere. Even here, you will find subtle racism towards Afro Americans.Awesome post. Have a great weekend. Do visit my blog also.

puresunshine
    May 31, 2009 at 9:49 pm

its sad that the indian media is overblowing the issue and now mr bachchan is gaining mileage out of this too.. they have shown students on tv sayin dont go to australia and mind u, these students cant even speak english properly. it is amazin how much the indian media can blow this story and add spice to it.

June 1, 2009 at 12:49 am

@ Ersa: And we think alike once again 🙂

@ Gigi: Yeah, there is always that subtle form of racism or stereotypical views based on our possibly racist tendencies. The movie ‘Crash’ was a great example of it.

@ puresunshine: Tell me about it! I had to convince my parents that there has never been any racial discrimination against me in 4 years. The media had them worried! Sigh!

varunshridhar
    June 1, 2009 at 6:07 am

I agree, this might not have been a racist attack. the Media sure is blowing it up. But how does that bring about talks of religion here?
    Faith and race weren’t the same, the last time I checked.
    You talk about religious differences here, I’m saying India is the only country where multiple religions have co-existed in peace. Can you think of any other religion existing in the Arab states? the only other religion there is under attack there!
    What about the no religious turbans or tunics in France rule, what about ID cards in the UK? Can any other Faith from Asia exist without hassles there?
    But in India, they have been. And considering it has been this way for almost a millenium, problems between faiths are quite natural.

and about Africans discriminated compared to the Europeans, it’s being spoken here as if India is the only place this has been happening. Flipping through the pages of history can tell many tales in other parts of the world about this. There were bloodshed and slavery in other parts of the world. There’s only discrimination in preference in India.

I agree that there is a racist in every one of us. However racist Indians are, they wouldn’t hurt anyone to the extent of killing them or seriously injuring them.

Sorry about the lengthy rant but I’m unable to let my country down.

June 1, 2009 at 6:25 am

@ varun: In terms of religion, it was just one of the issues I brought up to talk about how in India, we discriminate on so many issues. I guess it was a way of saying to clean up the mess first in India and then worry about other countries. The reason I’m talking mainly about India is because it’s Indians who are complaining.

As for your statement “However racist Indians are, they wouldn’t hurt anyone to the extent of killing them or seriously injuring them” I disagree. We have seen several religious riots and I’m sure the same fanaticism would exist if there were more races living in India. Some years ago, a minister from Australia was murdered in India. Whether that was religion or race is not the issue right now — it’s just that Indians are just as capable of murder and assault as any other culture.

I’m fine with your rant. You are entitled to your views. What surprises me about people that rant and ask other Indians to stay away from Australia and talk about patriotism is why leave India in the first place if India is so important? Just wondering.

Hemal Shah
    June 1, 2009 at 8:01 am

well, I do not agree on what you said about media not raising voices on racisim issue anywhere else… a few months ago, there were a series of murders in USA of the people who were of Indian Origin who went studying there and media had their mouths full with it.

the point however is that except for Indian students, have you heard of any students of countries other than India who are racially abused? I am sure you would not have heard of.

as for rapes, you cannot catagorize that in Racisim. Its for sexual pleasure that a man rapes a women and not with the intent to abuse her racially.

I agree with what you said about leaving one’s country for living when his national pride is so important to him. I cannot see the reason why an Indian is developing Rockets for NASA when he can do that for ISRO or what he can do at IBM can also happen at Infosys. Except for money, nothing else really matter for any one and every one in this world.

June 1, 2009 at 9:16 am

@ Hemal: Mate…there’s a lot of people from other races that are discriminated in all parts of the world. In fact, in India, Indians would discriminate too. One example is the Catholic minister of an anglo background that was killed some years ago.

And as for your take on rape, my reaction was HOLY CRAP! Rape has NOTHING to do with sexual pleasure but rather with power. And the reason I included that was because I was trying to highlight how all forms of discrimination occur within India and therefore Indians should first look at cleaning up the mess in India before pointing fingers outside.

Thanks for visiting.

Vamsi
    June 1, 2009 at 9:48 am

@ psych,

i agree that the media here in india must have over-reacted by making this an india-specific incident.

but, the fact is that there are lots of incidents where indians are the victims, and i guess, indians have right to worry as to why this is happening against them … i don’t call that as a needless hue/cry.

Archana
    June 2, 2009 at 2:04 am

So you couldn’t have said it better! I just wrote a comment on this issue at Kadambari’s blog, here’s the part that made me nod in agreement to your post:

“And the point you mentioned, how Indians apparently travel in packs – – I hate to say it, but that’s the one negative feedback I’ve constantly heard from multiple races outside of India. There’s nothing wrong with it, because it’s natural for people to gravitate to their comfort zones – – but it becomes an issue to others when Indians are living in their country and are taking no steps to acclimatizing to the culture they are in, even if it’s something as simple as stepping out and making friends with people outside of their Indian circle. Seems trivial, but it makes a huge difference.”

I’ve always grown up with a mixed group of friends, and wouldn’t want it any other way. 🙂 I think if you’re going to live in a foreign country it’s essential to get to know the various aspects of it, not just the people but the culture as well.

Anyway, ramblings aside, it think it’s funny that both our blogs have similar names. 😛 Mine’s Over a Cup of Cafe, and yours is Over Cups of Coffee, hehe. Coffee is fabulous. 🙂

Archana
    June 2, 2009 at 2:34 am

oh and PS – I just read through the comments, and the ones that had my jaw dropping, you already gave an apt reply too.

But I have to say this, Hemal Shah: You have got to be kidding that you’ve never heard of students from other countries being abused racially?! How about how racism occurs on a constant basis to Blacks in America? I can’t even count the number of cases that have happened with both hands, because it happens so often. :/ Or to Pakistanis in the UK? Or to Mexicans in America? The list goes on and on.

As for your take on rape, I disagree that it’s just done for sexual pleasure. There’s always a motive behind it, whether it’s revenge or whatever, racial abuse can and has been the motive behind many rape cases.

However, I think the notion of rape in India is interpreted different, because in a highly sexually frustrated society (since sex is not viewed a ‘casual’ as far as I know it) the intensity of lust, craving and wanting sex pushes people to rape – which then fits in with your point of view.

PS – If I offended you by coming off as attacking your comment, I didn’t mean too. I just felt the need to share a more global perspective.

June 2, 2009 at 2:45 am

@ Vamsi: I had another thought in terms of statistics — India has the highest population in the world so if there is racism in the world, it is statistically more proabable that Indians would be targetted more.

In any case, as I continue stressing, it’s important for Indians to first clean up the mess within India before pointing fingers. Hence the reference to the needless hue and cry because discrimination occurs every day in India.

Thanks for visiting my blog. 🙂

June 2, 2009 at 2:48 am

@ Archana: Welcome. Firstly, I must say, the coincidence in terms of our blog names is hilarious! 🙂

And I totally agree with what you said. After all, why do we go overseas? When I came here it was with the motto to mingle with Aussies. Not to continue hanging out with only Indians because I had that for 20 years and love those friends. I’m not sure about you, but I realise that we are not so different after all when we interact with people from other cultures.

Kadambari
    June 2, 2009 at 3:28 am

This is what our problem is. We let ourselves down.. especially in front of others! If there’s ever a discussion going on about how things are, Indians are so quick to jump in and say, our place sucks. It’s the worst.

Riots have happened everywhere, the Whites have racially abused practically the entire world. And yes, Indians do discriminate on the basis of a LOT of things! But hey, that does not justify this incident. We are more tolerant and have always accepted differences.

More importantly, we should respect ourselves.. for an outsider to do the same! If we keep demeaning and insulting our own country, I don’t think others would give us a damn. See how the Chinese and the Japanese are proud of themselves. Not like they don’t have issues. Pride commands respect. I would not let my country down however it may be.

Looks like I wrote a post of my own here. Well! 🙂

Anser Indicus
    June 2, 2009 at 4:06 am

I agree with most of your views but would like to comment on certain points.

@Is that because Canada don’t have a decent cricket team but the Aussies do?

Discrimination is present in all countries at some levels and a good number of attack victims are usually Indians since the number of Indians are more. But the attacks in Australia was (over) sensationalized by media because the attacks were of continued nature. Multiple attacks against students belonging to same nationality within short intervals are not happening ‘by chance’.

@Now, as I have said before, I have so far not faced any discrimination based on my race.@I have been open to learning about the Aussie culture and have picked up the slang and understand the sarcasm and the culture of taking the piss out of people

You are not discriminated since you are open learning about Aussie culture and most probably you are not keeping your ‘Indianness’. I appreciate you since I believe all Indians should mix with locals and adapt to the local culture when they are in foreign land. But not doing so is not a reason to be attacked. Go through this post if you get time.

@Indians themselves discriminate based on race, religion, region/language, gender. So it’s a situation of the pot calling the kettle black. Individuals of African origin are generally discriminated in India as compared to those of Anglo-origin

Dear Phych Babbler, do you mean to say that discrimination based on race, religion, region, language, gender etc should be completely stopped in India before complaining about series of attacks against Indian Students abroad? The racial discrimination in India is minimum. Several thousand African students are studying in India (on India Govt. Scholarship) and how many cases of discrimination can you point out?

I agree that Indian media need to stop sensationalizing these kind of news and also that Indians need to change their approach when they are in foreign land. But racial discrimination do exist in Australia and it exist at relatively higher levels.

PS:
    I found a very interesting comment from an Australian Indian regarding this issue in a famous website.

“Its really rediculous for the australians as the main income of thier economy coming from Indian students. They should get enough security and the out politicians should pressure them to stop racism in Indians.”

If Indians are using this kind of English, I cant blame Australians for attacking them. 

legallyalien
    June 2, 2009 at 4:57 am

i posted a comment here echoing everything uve written but thr was some error and i’m not sure if it got published! :S
    Anyway, just commenting to say “ditto ditto ditto” to everything u’ve written. I’m glad there are some sane Indians in this country.
    If ur ever in QLD, love to catch up with u. 🙂

June 2, 2009 at 5:29 am

@ Kadambari: Welcome! I guess in my case, I was never proud to be an Indian. It’s not something that’s just happened since coming here to Aus. I always wanted to get out of India. I respect myself but I don’t think highly of our culture which can be hypocritical in many ways. The only thing Indian I truly love is the food! 😀

June 2, 2009 at 5:38 am

@ Anser: Welcome! You are somewhat right about me not keeping my ‘Indianness’ — I never have even back in India. I think I am more in tune with what might be termed as western values. I’m not saying that a person should completely change themselves but education is the key. And you can only get educated about other cultures by mixing with them.

Now again, I never said that no one in Australia (or anywhere else) is racist. I agree there will be racists everywhere. But I was reacting to comments such as ‘Don’t come to Australia’ implying the whole country is racist which is an gross overgeneralisation. And I think what irks me more is these comments coming from Indians settled in Australia. I honestly feel like saying “go back home!”

Australia is far more multicultural than India. I’m sure if we had more races existing in India, we would see a lot more racism considering Indians discriminate on a number of things. We even discriminate among ourselves based on skin colour. I’m darker skinned and I know people in India find that a problem.

Finally, at your last bit on what you came across by an Indian in Australia — hilarious! 😛 I can see why Aussies get pissed off with the language of some of their international student — me being extremely pedantic about English, I get annoyed with others butchering the language!

Keep visiting!

June 2, 2009 at 5:39 am

@ legallyalien: Oh shucks…didn’t get your other comment. And now I have a good excuse to come to Qld. 🙂 Will keep it in mind! 😉

chandni
    June 2, 2009 at 9:23 am

Well,

I fail to get the point here.

Racism exists all over the world, correct. Does that make this incident less henious?

Long before these reports came in, I learned that Austrailia is one of the most racist countries as a whole. It wasn’t media that formed my opinion, but family and friends who experienced firsthand. And these were people who’ve been to various parts of the world. So I can’t even say they were the kinds who did not mingle outside the Indian community.

And as for the media, I believe the Indian media does take up all news related to Indians across the world. There have been huge number of reportings from the US too as and when they happen.

I am glad you have not had a bad experience, touch wood, I hope o one ever has to go through something like this….

But I really don’t see the problem in admitting (if its true) that there might be a general dislike towards Indians in that country. Yes, its not everyone in the country…but if numerous people have numerous similar experiences over years, it does help one form an opinion right?

And then, its for people who’ve lived there who’d know best what they go through.

Just like not every white woman is raped in India, there would be good expereinces too.

But arguing that Indians could prevent it by being more open….I really don’t know if that’s the root cause and if it will solve the problem completely.

Archana
    June 2, 2009 at 12:39 pm

@chandni:

I definitely stand by the fact that racism can at least be minimized if people are more open to understanding each other’s cultures. And this goes both ways, from the foreigners to the locals and vice versa.

For instance, if an Indian was more open to having a mixed group of friends, then not only could they build friendships but they can also share and increase the level of tolerance between their group of friends to different cultures.

I’ve noticed this from first hand experience. I’m Indian, and I’ve never shyed away from it, or lost my ‘Indianess’ – regardless of the fact that I left the country when I was two. I’ve stood up for Indians, when my non-Indian friends make a wise-crack (usually something slighty racist) at another Indian, but I don’t just stand and laugh along with them. I say something about it, and then it makes them stop. If not the first time, definitely by the second time.

I’m not saying it’s a guaranteed formula to minimize/eliminate racism, but it’s a step forward to minimizing it from occuring so often.

I don’t know, I think ignorance is one of the root causes of racism. Education and being educated about each other is essential to smoothing out any issue for that matter.

PS – All the comments to this blog spiralled into a whole interesting conversation, lol.

June 2, 2009 at 9:59 pm

@ Chandni: Like you, I was told that Australia was a racist country before coming here. Now, having studied psychology I can tell you that our perceptions tend to get influenced when people tell us stuff like that and then we are more likely to behave in a way that only justifies our perception or focus on the things that confirm these perceptions. Does this make sense in how the opinion of masses can be formed? It’s group think. One Indian says something about Aussies, others think they have to be wary about Aussies and so don’t interact with them or do so in a very limited way and the Aussies get distant and the vicious cycle continues.

I didn’t take the word of people that told me about it and I think that helped. I am a cynic and that’s why I wasn’t willing to just believe these family members and family friends. And it helped in that I was open and willing to be educated while in turn, educating people I met.

June 2, 2009 at 10:01 pm

@ Archana: Totally agree with you in terms of education being a step towards tolerance. I must admit though, I’ve never had the ‘Indianness’ even back in India! 😛

legallyalien
    June 3, 2009 at 2:16 am

Education is important when it comes to solving a problem like racism, I definitely agree with that point. It’s also important that as expatriates, we are part of that education. If Indians refuse to mix with other people when they move to another country, Australians or any other race cannot be blamed for their limited knowledge of Indian people. It is my personal mission to change the perception Australians have of Indians as smart people who speak shit English. I am smart and speak great English too and when an Australian tells me my English is good, I don’t view it as a racial insult because it’s not. Its because they don’t know enough about Indians and I tell them that it is a misconception that Indians can’t speak English.

Indians need to let go of their sensitivity. Australia is way more multicultural than India so comments on race and ethnicity are more common here and not every such comment is racist. Sometimes people just don’t know enough so looking at things objectively will show that all they need is a bit of education. Indians are equally racist when it comes to branding Australians dumb and ignorant. Sure some are, but they’re not all dumb and ignorant. The comments we make about the “goras” in our movies is equally racist but we never look at that way do we?

Indians need to stop expecting the world to adapt to them. If they move to another country, they must adapt to that culture to be accepted as part of that culture or they will obviously always remain outsiders in another country. If you can’t adapt, don’t move out of India.

June 3, 2009 at 4:57 am

@ legallyalien: Hehe…so you get the ‘good English’ thing too? 😛 Same here. Aussies generally assume I was born here or have been here for years and not just 4 years. And then I have to explain how we have English medium schools and all that. Now that you mention the whole ‘gora’ thing, you have a point. But I’ll bet you, the Indian argument for that will be “we are targets of racism so how can we be racist?” — the same that took place in the Harbhajan-Symonds incident.

Prasant Naidu.
    June 3, 2009 at 10:44 am

If I look back the whole Indian Racist thing started from the Shilpa Shetty issue(there must be loads but they were not that imp for the media). Like a true son of my country I was also opposing it but then i read an article that asked a question about the discrimination that happens in India.
    It’s sad that students are being targeted and yes it is also in UK and may be you would find in other parts of the world but that doesn’t mean we start blaming the whole country. Yes we need to protect them and the government should intervene but as you said we also need to look in our souls too.
    Rest it’s always advisable to be like Romans when you are in Rome and on the cricket ground MEN BLUE are no more cry babies 🙂 .

Good Stuff!
    Keep Rocking,
    Prasant.

June 5, 2009 at 4:07 am

@ Prasant: Welcome! Shilpa Shetty got a whole lotta publicity out of her racist victim thing, didn’t she?

I agree that racism exists worldwide including in India. In fact, if we were more multicultural in India, we would probably see more racism. However, since India is not so multicultural, we see discrimataion based on religion, region, caste etc. instead. Again, I’m not condoning racism and you seem to have understood that. 🙂

I have no problem with the govt wanting to protect their students but that should be done between the two PMs and not through the media or burning effigies.

Vyazz
    June 5, 2009 at 9:37 am

I 100% agree with you. I am an Indian medical student living in Russia for the past six years. Frankly I wrote a post in my blog in this regard as well.
    Racism exists everywhere. Theres no point in over hyping the incident.
    I have hardly experienced any racial behaviour in my stay here. Newayz…its up to the individual to be careful so as to where he ventures rather than blame the host country for his/her misfortunes.

Faye
    June 20, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Wow.
    Psyche Babbler. Hats off to you.
    The first independent thinking Indian woman I’ve ‘met’ without a sickly overinclination to plaster patriotic and marriage related clap trap all over the next sorry victim she meets.
    I thought my fiance was the only other Indian who disliked his “Indian”ness and strived to be an independent minded individual not a hypocritical zombie (aka earn their bread and butter in the host country but bitches endlessly about its flaws and how great ‘back home’ is).

Thanks for making me feel a whole lot better.
    I find it hard to meet such thinking, intelligent people out there nowadays.
    🙂

June 21, 2009 at 1:39 am

@ Faye: Welcome! And thank you! 🙂 I’ve been accused of being ‘unpatriotic’ back in India since I was growing up. The reason — I never supported the Indian cricket team but always supported Aus. I hate hypocrisy and like you I find some Indians very hypocritical. When it came to the whole supposed racial issue…Indians are no less in discriminating on a whole range of issues. I love Australia and feel at home here. In fact, the minute I’m eligible for citizenship, I’m going for it! I have probably ‘met’ one other Indian who is similar minded to me and your fiance so far. But I’m sure there’s a few. Although the majority would be the hypocritical ones. Thanks again for visiting and I’m glad I could make you feel better! 🙂

June 21, 2009 at 1:40 am

@ Vyazz: Yep you are right in terms of the individual looking out for themselves. I mean, even in Bombay or Delhi, if you were travelling by yourself in the train at 3 in the morning, you would be putting yourself at risk.

Jake
    January 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I have to say, every time I read your blog I feel a little vindicated, like the world is not full of idiots and there are people with brains out there.

I remember how people were making a big deal out of this when reports were first coming in, what bugged me the most was how the media was labeling Australians racist, the fact is human beings are racist. We treat anyone or anything unfamiliar to us with doubt and fear , that has always been the case it will always be the case (unless sometime in the future someone comes up with a way to alter our genetic makeup thereby eliminating such flaws).

Like you said the media conveniently leaves out racism within India ,
    and what about the prejudice against dark skin ????? !!!!! , the country that  is obsessed with fair and lovely wants to pass judgement on racism ???
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?.

I’m not saying we should ignore the incidents, but I HAAAATE it when they make an us vs them situation out of it. Its because of shit like this that I keep saying I have divisions within human species in the form of countries, religion or anything else, in the end it will boil down to us vs them and
    in more dire situations people will blow up subway stations and fly planes into buildings in an attempt they perceive as winning the game .

January 6, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I had to laugh at your first statement Jake! 😀 I do feel the same when I read some blogs. I agree with you that all human beings are racist and I remember your arguments against having borders and countries…this only fuels problems such as racism. Glad this post brought out a lot from you! 🙂

sunila
    April 8, 2014 at 3:02 pm

PB, I’m and Indo-aussie currently in India. I had a hard time explaining re” the attacks to frens in India n that I found them more ‘Crime’ than ‘Racism.
    sunila recently posted…Grounding ourselves.My Profile

5 tips to give and receive criticism - Living my Imperfect Life
    January 5, 2016 at 7:55 pm

[…] a blogger for eight years, I had no qualms putting my writing out there and receiving brickbats for some of my opinions. I figured I had a thick skin. Then I enrolled in a creative writing course […]