Life lessons

Born again

No it’s not about reincarnation.

Screenage Scribblings tagged me on things I would want to change about my past and myself. This is going to be a hard one because, even though over the years I have often talked about changing things from the past, I have reached a stage in my life where I believe that it’s all those experiences that have made me who I am today and I wouldn’t want to change those.

However, I’ll see if I can try.

1. My weight: Definitely been an issue for me. I was a plump baby, and average kid, a plump teenager, an over-weight college going girl and then lost oodles of weight through going to the gym before coming to Australia. And now, I back on the plump front. Dammit! If there was one thing I could change, it would be that I remained at an average weight. I don’t want to be
    skinny (I like curves). But I wish I could eat without worrying about the weight I will be putting on. I love my food and hate walking. (Agreed…probably need to hit the gym again)
  2. Playing sport: If there’s one thing I wish, it’s that I could have played sport while growing up. I never got the chance. If I could go back now, I would love to join a cricket or football team and play for my school or even a club. That opportunity didn’t exist when I was going to school. We didn’t have a girl’s cricket or football team back then. The only sports for girls were basketball (being 5 feet tall doesn’t help for that game!) and badminton (meh!)

3. My public speaking abilities: If I could, I would go back to the 11 year old that used to be fearless but then let one experience scar her public speaking abilities and push her to participate and not worry about what others think.

And that’s all I got! Sorry SS, but I am okay with the person I am today and believe that all the negative experiences have made me the person I am. Even though I’ve written the above few things, if they had happened, I may not be the person I am today.

Who knows — if I had played cricket and loved it — I probably wouldn’t be a child and adolescent psychologist today. Had the above three occurred, I would be a sports journalist on telly today! ๐Ÿ™‚

So what about you? Would you like to change anything or any experience you have had in life so far? If you had to live it all over again, what would you do? I tag anyone that wants to take this tag on.

Cheers!!

Screenage Scribbler
    June 24, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Well good one PB. I appreciate the honesty and not doing the tag further just for the sake of it sweetie ๐Ÿ™‚

Hugs !

Screenage Scribbler
    June 24, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Hey and me too feel that we are today because of what we have gone through in life in the past..so yes thats we don’t get a chance to change things in reality…this is all hypothetical and we should just have fun with it ๐Ÿ™‚

Smita
    June 24, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Kaash we could eat whatever we want and not put an even an ounce!!! I know am asking for too much but still ๐Ÿ˜‰

I would love to change my choice of career, I would have loved to try a career in defense force.

Reema
    June 24, 2009 at 4:55 pm

its good that u r happy with urself!

Ersa
    June 24, 2009 at 5:04 pm

When I do this tag, I could easily copy paste what you’ve written (and give you credit, of course!) :-P…especially the weight and public speaking thing…:-)

Lilly
    June 25, 2009 at 2:06 am

Oh these are pretty similar things to most of us I think. We can only but try and change what we can. My list would be too long lol!! I bet you are perfect in the job you do now and no way, not a sports journalist, lol! Do you like cricket?

legallyalien
    June 25, 2009 at 6:54 am

interesting! I will definitely do this tag in a couple of days.
    btw, the sports thing is something I wish I had done too.

C.B.G.
    June 25, 2009 at 7:56 am

Hello again ๐Ÿ™‚
    Let me comment this post, I really like it.
    First of all and this is incontrovertible truth, we can not change the past, no matter we have good or bad memories.
    In the other hand we can imagine a limit between Yeterday and Today, it is like forgeting about past and start something new.
    Have you ever heard about “tabula rasa”? This a term to describe mind of new-born child and means “unwritten blackboard” and it was invented and used by Aristoteles. I don’t agree with this affirmation from A to Z, because I think that new-born child have some memories from his fetal life in body of his mother…
    Ooops, I change the topic! Sorry ๐Ÿ˜‰
    My thought: treat “tabula rasa” as a way to start something new, forget about everything you haven’t done yet, firget about dissapointment at yourself and give yousrelf second change. Then, you will find new attitude, new power and you will feel that this time you can do it. I have tried this method many times and still improve this (because it is not easy) but trust me, it works.
    Hugs ๐Ÿ™‚
    Anna
    Ps: I like “The Reader’s Paradise”, I rated some books. I love reading and I am proud bookworm :))

Archana
    June 25, 2009 at 8:29 am

Interesting post. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’d like to think that I live life with no regrets, but if there were things I’d change about myself maybe it would be to have met a straightener early on in high school! Lol, jokes aside I can relate to you on the weight thing – I used to always be really insecure about my body when I was in high school.

I was never fat, but nor was I ever thin, like I’d obsess over a flat tummy. And it’s definitely tough when you’re a foodie! As of now, I still love my food, but I’m starting to love my exercise too. Since the last 4-5 years I’ve become pretty fitness conscious, and more so in the last year or so. All I know is I’m making sure jelly belly doesn’t come back around. ๐Ÿ˜›

Psst, I started a new blog alongside my design blog. It’s got more room for me to ramble & post whatever I want. I realized I enjoy leaving comments so much on well-written/interesting blogs, that I might as well create a blog stating my own ramblings. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s at deliciouslysunsational.blogspot.com.

MilesPerHour
    June 25, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Nothing. God gave me the life experiences, ups and downs, triumphs and challenges to place me where he wanted me to be today.

Shankar
    June 25, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Actually I feel whatever has happened,Its for our own good.
    Whatever is happening,It is also for our own good.
    Whatever might happen in future, It will be good for us.

So i don’t want to change anything that has happened in my life. Everything is for my good. Failures teaches me new lessons. Success builds confidence and proves my capability.

colormesunshine
    June 25, 2009 at 6:43 pm

hey..you don’t have to play sports to write about it. you could still be a sport journalist on paper if not on the telly :).
    you just have to love and understand the game and write it in your style to entertain and inform people. ๐Ÿ™‚

June 25, 2009 at 10:52 pm

@ SS: Yeah, I know it was all for fun, but couldn’t think of stuff I wanted to change!

@ Smita: Ooh…defense…that’s interesting. As for the eating and not putting on weight — I know some people like that. Fast metabolism or something. Sigh…that would have been so good!

@ Reema: Yeah…most of the time — I even like my cynicism and neuroticism ๐Ÿ™‚

@ Ersa: Hehe…feel free to copy-paste! ๐Ÿ™‚

@ Lilly: I guess the weight thing is something I can still work on. (The problem being the ‘work’ involved!) Would love to read your list but I’m sure even for you, it’s all the experiences that have made you who you are! And thanks for the psych thing — I do feel like I’m doing something worth my while for sure. And yes, I like cricket — I’m not as fanatical about it now as I used to be though what with no Gilly, McGrath, Steve Waugh…it’s kinda lost it’s charm. Still watch Aussie games though.

@ Legally Alien: Again, why am I not surprised! ๐Ÿ™‚ Looking forward to seeing your tag

June 25, 2009 at 11:00 pm

@ CBG: Oh yes, I’ve heard of ‘tabula rasa’ And yep, I’ve learnt over the years that there’s no point having regrets and ruminating over the past when you can’t change it. I still do it every now and then (I’m human!) but it’s not as bad as it used to be when I was growing up.

@ Archana: I really need to get back to the gym. I was really good the 9 months before coming to Aus and for a year after being here too. But then, saving took priority over spending money on the gym and the rest is history. I love the weights at the gym more than the cardio stuff…so will eventually look at going back there. And I’m now following your other blog as well! ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh…and LOL about the straightener thing!

@ MPH: You are probably the most perfect person to comment on this given how you believe your experiences have made you who you are today! ๐Ÿ™‚

@ Shankar: Agree on all counts!

@ Colourmesunshine: Oh…but the drawcard for me was meeting the players in person and getting a chance to interview them and stuff and not just writing match reports! ๐Ÿ™‚

Vee
    June 27, 2009 at 12:35 pm

After reading your things, I guess I too would like to play for a club/state/country. I am a wonderful spectator of any sport. I enjoy watching all kinds but I was never a good player.