Feminism Fodder

And finally — the Consequence!!!

Kyle Sandilands has been axed from Australian Idol. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what is known as facing the consequences of your actions.

To those of you not in Australia, Kyle Sandilands is a radio presenter and one of the judges on our version of Idol. Last week, during the morning radio show, Kyle and co-host Jackie O had a 14 year old girl on their ‘lie detector’ stunt and her mother who wanted to question her on her sexual activities and possible drug use. The young girl did not want to be there but apparently had no choice. The girl disclosed that she had been raped when she was 12 and turns out the mother knew this. Kyle’s empathic response to the girl upon her disclosure was “Right…so is that the only experience you’ve had?” And then they were cut off.

As you might expect, there was an uproar.

My point, even if the girl had not been raped, it should not be legal to strap a minor to a lie detector and question them on their sexual activities!!!

Anyway, Kyle later responded like a martyr — that at least due to this, her rape was now out and DoCs and the police could get involved. Fuck off, Kyle. That is not the way any person, let alone a teenager, wants to get help. It is bad enough having a traumatic episode such as rape. It is like being raped again in public through this stunt they have pulled.

I didn’t think Idol would have the guts to sack Kyle. I have seen too many ‘celebs’ not facing the consequences. This time I was wrong. And I am glad.

It’s high time people in the media realise that there is a line. And they crossed the line a bit too far this time.

And it will probably be a while before Kyle is his usual narcissistic self. And maybe, he will think twice before he acts. Just maybe.

P.S. My laptop goes for repairs tomorrow and I don’t know if I’ll have a replacement. I just had to write this.

Nandhini
    August 3, 2009 at 8:19 am

Hello thr…

Did read about it sometime last weekend I guess… I was appalled by her behavior… I am glad she is axed as well! Media has to draw a line while dealing with sensitive situations as this… not everything has to be a reality series! 🙂

Cheers…

Archana
    August 3, 2009 at 11:27 am

Wow, that whole scene seems messed up. Strapping someone up to a lie detector and asking them questions about their sexual experiences?! Who the hell came up with that idea. That’s just purely messed up!

As for this Kyle person, wtf? He needs to go get his head checked if that’s his reaction to a girl mentioning she’s been raped. 😡

Anyway, on a totally different note, hope your laptop gets fixed soon! 🙂

Orhan Kahn
    August 3, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Oh, wow.

I did not know anything about this shit.

Just wow.

Phoenix
    August 3, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Sad.

Smita
    August 3, 2009 at 1:59 pm

You know something similar happened in India. Some RJ in Delhi called a guy from Sikkim “the watchman guy” there was huge uproar but his radio channel stuck with him!!!!

But am glad that at least in some side of the globe justice is happening!!!!

Katie
    August 3, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Though here in the US we hear all kinda of lewd comments, even that one had me a little open mouthed.

No surprise that he was voted off…no surprise at all.

LadyinRed
    August 4, 2009 at 4:39 am

I think he’s a moron and I don’t know why many people people worship him. He’s a wasted and I’m glad he’s axed off Idol, this should show, especially, the younger generations that every action has its own consequences… Good post Psych Blabber!

Amol Naik
    August 4, 2009 at 4:55 pm

I completely agree with you on this episode. The media is far too interfering with private lives. The audience have to realize that, and cut-off the viewership..I hope..

Roshan
    August 5, 2009 at 2:32 am

Really talented people do not pull stunts like this. It’s the people who get fame by default or who scream to be a celeb who keep doing crappy things like this. And the moron tried to defend it? I hope he suffers like hell.

Anita C. McCants
    August 7, 2009 at 5:41 pm

That is sad. Nowadays the line
    seem to be drawn after things
    have already gone too far.

ani_aset
    August 12, 2009 at 10:59 am

This was so nast and stupid of this guy to do this..good at being sacked