Life

View from the Balcony

I don’t know if this made news elsewhere but Sydney was hit by a dust storm today. It wasn’t as drastic as the news channels made it out to be (seriously…they even had reporters in different areas reporting on how bad it was!!) To see more pix of today, check out this website.

I also don’t know how it’s related to climate change…can’t such things happen once a while???

But anyway, I woke up to an orange light coming through the blinds…and my first thought was  “bushfires!!!” (because I do live close to the national park…)

But nope. Thankfully, it wasn’t bush fires. Rather, it was a dust storm.

And I managed to capture a couple of pictures from my balcony.

It was a bizarre experience. My car was orange a few minutes after it was on the road. And the drive to work was quite different — it sorta had a twilight zone feel to it.

It still was not as drastic as the media made it out to be.

But it was quite beautiful. Barring my allergic reaction to the dust…I spent my whole morning sneezing and sniffling…through my sessions with my clients as well!

Smita
    September 23, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Ah! Newspapers did come up with a photo here n there but not much was said!

But it must have been a different experience all together!!!!

Nice pics!!! Though am not allergic but I get irritated with too much dust!!

September 23, 2009 at 3:37 pm

ohhh nice!

and you live near a national park? it must be amazing around there, eh?

Sidthegnomenator
    September 23, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I heard about this here in the UK, but it wasn’t major news or anything. great pics!

catatonickid
    September 23, 2009 at 6:26 pm

yep, definite Twilight Zone feel, with an occasional side of David Lynch (more Twin Peaks, less Blue Velvet).

September 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm

@ Smita: YEah it was a weird experience…

@ Titaxy: Well, it’s not next door, but nearby…there’s a lot of green around anyway… just moved here a month ago and love the area! 🙂

@ Sid; You can trust the news channels here (9,10 and 7) to make a huge deal out of it! They were on a roll…And thanks! 🙂

@ Catatonic Kid: Lol… 😀

Solilo
    September 23, 2009 at 11:29 pm

I saw the picture and news and tweeted you sometime back. Gosh! didn’t know it was so scary.

legally-alien
    September 24, 2009 at 1:48 am

lol..I heard about Suyney on Triple J in the morning and then saw some pictures. They sure made a big deal of it aye? Anyway, I was at work when it hit GC and though it didn’t become red or anything, it was quite an experience with the whole air turning a dense yellowish grey. I have a really good view from my desk and we slowly watched it covering the city like a dense fodgand then watched it clearing up. I went to get dinner in the evening near the beach and I could smell and taste the dust.. it wasn;t scary, it was just such a pretty amazing experience.

Legal Alien
    September 24, 2009 at 1:51 am

Ohh grr…i was just signed in from my other google account so don’t know if the previous comment went thru. I was just saying that I heard about Sydney on Triple J in the morning and then went to work and saw the storm hitting GC. I have a really great view from my desk so it was pretty cool watching the whole city getting covered in a dense yellowsih greyish foggy atmosphere. It didn’t turn red here though. I went to get dinner near the beach in the evening and i could smell and taste the dust.. Its ok this morning though.. hows Sydney today?

Archana
    September 24, 2009 at 3:01 am

Oh wow, that is orange. I’ve never seen dust kick up that much. 😡 Hope you don’t get too sneezy!

Book Review: Sisters of Mercy | Over Cups of Coffee
    January 4, 2013 at 8:30 pm

[…] Agnes though is now missing. A day after she visited Snow and possibly having disappeared in the red dust that blanketed Sydney on 23rd September 2009. As Snow protests her innocence through her letters to Jack, his research just might reveal […]