Cricket

50 overs it is…

And this is why they shouldn’t get rid of the 50 over game. It was a cracker of a game yesterday. I just wish I could have seen it live (Damn not having Foxtel!)

People like Warney who believe there only needs to be two versions of the game i.e. T20 and tests should shut their trap.

I sincerely hope there’s more close games like this because this is what cricket is all about. Great plans. Great tactics. Great batting. Great bowling. Great comebacks. Not just whacking the ball blindly in 20 overs and keeping your fingers crossed.

I’m all for just 2 versions of the game…but I vote for 50 over games and tests. T20 spells the doom of cricket as we know it in my opinion.

Archana
    October 26, 2009 at 11:16 am

I’ve been out of the loop with cricket. Honestly, I haven’t seen a single 20-20 match. Not out of choice, but just the timing of things. I was never in places that were fanatical about the sport, and then just kinda lost touch with it. Though I would love to get back in the know with cricket. 🙂

G
    October 26, 2009 at 11:17 am

First! :D:D
    Now let me go read the post…

Karthik
    October 26, 2009 at 11:20 am

Yo! I agree with you completely. It was one hell of a game yesterday. 🙂
    And 50 overs matches should be given more prominence.. I vote for that too.. 🙂
    By the way, first time on your blog and it’s fabulous. 🙂

October 26, 2009 at 11:32 am

@ Archana: You are not missing much re T20! I know what you mean about wanting to get into the game a bit more…since coming to Aus I have actually not watched cricket as much as I used to…don’t have cable tv here and it’s only the summer that I can follow live games on free to air…

@ G: LOL…you are on a roll tonight…don’t worry though…you are not spamming me 🙂

@ Karthik: Welcome to my blog! Nice to see someone else thinking this way about 50 overs…thought everyone was jumping on the T20 bandwagon. And thanks for the lovely comment about my blog 😀 Keep visitng!

mahmud faisal
    October 26, 2009 at 1:24 pm

cool.. nice opinions from your think-head..

I like cricket at any form 😀

S|H|R|E|Y|A
    October 26, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Just wanted to say…no, scream out loud…AUSTRALIA WON!!!!!!! yay!!! ^_^

Melissa
    October 26, 2009 at 8:40 pm

I agree with you. I’d choose 50 overs and 20/20 over test matches. I think they’ve had their day and in a world of instant gratification, they will lose more and more popularity.

I also think Shane Warne is a knob. Of the worst kind. Just sayin..

Gyanban
    October 27, 2009 at 2:15 am

The game has been continuously tampered over the years..too many rule changes to adapt commercialization…and make it faster.I think that’s a wrong path to go and soon you;ll get tired of 20/20 and ask for 10/10..I think we’re setting the wrong example here.Instead the administrators need to think of innovative ways to grow viewer-ship of followers by maintaining a 100 year tradition ! They need to increase their level of patience first before expecting the audience.

If pace or the amount of time was such a big issue – then I guess golf would’ve died down long back.

Solilo
    October 27, 2009 at 5:31 am

I too prefer 50 overs game and I think that is why I have lost interest in Cricket now. We don’t watch the game anymore. Not a fan of fast food culture.

Amol Naik
    October 27, 2009 at 7:02 am

which side you “batted” for…???

October 27, 2009 at 10:03 am

@ Mahmud: Thanks 🙂

@ Shreya: Oh I’m with you on that!! 😀 😀 Let’s hope we can keep up that form and perform even better to win the series!!!

@ Melissa: I still find some of the test cricket interesting. Depends on which team is playing though…the Ashes for instance were great even though we lost. And yeah, Shane Warne is a knob (despite being a brilliant bowler)

@ Gyanban: You are dead right! Couldn’t agree with you more. But have to admit…hate golf! 😛

@ Solilo: Fast-food culture…I like that! It’s become more about money and quick bucks…

@ Amol: AUSTRALIA. Always Australia. Since I was 12. Hasn’t wavered.

ani_aset
    October 27, 2009 at 10:34 am

oh my god PB…33 posts :(((( while i was away..you are on a marathon run here…
    I would rather have all 3 versions.Thats my opinion though..there still needs to be some tweak in 50 over format..so that it does not get boring between over 20-40 seriously

Pesto Sauce
    October 27, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I stoped watching some time back…gone are those days of wonderful cricket

memoriesandmirages
    October 28, 2009 at 12:52 am

it’s been many many yrs since i watched cricket…used to be a die hard Aussie fan…dad always got so irritated with me when there was Ind vs Aus on…lol…

Sidthegnomenator
    October 28, 2009 at 10:22 am

I will always prefer the longer format of the game and I think T20 is good at domestic level – it generates interest in the game and income for the clubs – but a waste of time at international level. International players should be focussing on more important things than a pointless 4
    40 over match.

Pins N Ashes
    October 28, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I’m confused abt my status with cricket tests/50-50/20-20 these days. I have lost patience to watch the entire game irrp: of the format n these days catch the final overs only.

I didn’t understand why the champions trophy was given poor coverage. I struggled to find which channel it was aired on b/c everywhere I turned there was only Lalit Modi’s Champion’s League!! 50 overs these days seems to be live courtesy the debate.

Maybe ICC shd give the reigns to Modi for a year, his magic touch would change the face of 50-50, more sponsors, more players, and the audience.

October 29, 2009 at 10:43 am

@ Ani: Yes…you’ve been away for a while and I’ve been on a roll. Will try and respond to all your comments 😀

@ Pesto: I agree. I don’t get to watch much cricket due to not having cable here but I don’t feel like I’m missing much…

@ Titaxy: You support Aus??? Didn’t know that! I knew we had a great connection…maybe that’s why 😉

@ Sid: Agree… 😀

@ PnA: Who’s Lalit Modi?? 😛 T20 has had good marketing I guess, eh?

October 29, 2009 at 1:03 pm

why so silent here?…another hectic week or what?
    hope all is well 🙂