The Federal Government obviously does not have much work to do.
If they did, they wouldn’t be spending valuable time coming up with a load of shit such as this — the Get up and Grow guides for parents. So now, not only do parents have to parent their kids by never smacking them, they also need to:
– Ensure that toddlers do not watch any television (yes, and that means, they need to stay in their bedrooms when you are watching telly),
– Ensure that 2 to 5 year olds watch only an hour of telly (and then you entertain them at work or in the kitchen…and definitely let them get under your feet when you are trying to clean the house or do the laundry)
– Babies need to be exercised from when they are a year old. Baby-gym anyone?? Sounds like a good business prospect…
– Toddlers need at least 3 hours of active play.
– Ensure that parents do not force their children to eat a meal or snack. This has got to be the worst! So now, we are going to have kids saying they don’t want to eat their veggies and it’s okay ‘coz Ruddy says so! For fucks sake!
There’s probably a whole lot more but I will have to get my hands on one of these books for that. It just gets me really annoyed that they spend valuable hours and resources on this crap when they could just run parenting programs which teaches the basics on rewards and consequences for parents. And spend more energy targetting specific problem areas by providing funding to the health department and NGOs and training more professionals to work with families.
– If your child doesn’t want to do their homework, don’t force them?
– If your child finds their homework too hard, do it for them?
– If your teenager hits you, don’t restrain them? (yes, it happens…I kid you not)
– If your child throws a tantrum in the shops, you cannot ignore them?
– If your child doesn’t like their teacher, change their class?
– If your teenager is embarrassed to be seen with you in public, stay away from them and pretend you are not related?
– If your child want something from the shops, get it for them?
– If your child misbehaves, you are not permitted to take away their PS2 or their XBox or their Nintendo DS or any other games they love?
If that happens, I quit.
I will change careers.
Until next time,