Life

Mr Fishy and other stories…

I have a pet: a fish. A fighting fish to be precise. Thought I’d start off small and work my way up.

Mr Fishy arrived yesterday.

Check him out:

Here he is enjoying his swim…

And yet another picture of Mr Fishy in his fish bowl

He definitely seems happier in his big bowl. I only bought the bowl today…yesterday he was in an old coffee container which was still bigger than his space at the pet store.

Also, remember my D-I-Y post?

Well, just so you know, I have fixed my chairs. More importantly, I put up a bookcase and a CD stand all by myself! Yes, I kid you not. No help from any friends on these.

Here are the final versions:

Me doing this on my own surprised everyone…even my friends. The reason is that it’s actually bigger than me. It’s as tall as the doorway. And it came flat-packed. So yay! 🙂

And this is just another thing that came flat-packed and that I put together on my own from the start…

Anyway, here’s hoping Mr Fishy lasts longer than Bubbles who I had in 2006-07. Bubbles lasted about 5 months and then died. Dunno why. I fed him all right.

Chantel
    October 6, 2009 at 5:21 am

I have a fighting fish who looks very similar! His name us hubert and he lives in his big bowl (like yours without the feet) on top of our microwave. He is blue too and has red stripes though him. I bought him over a year ago and he’s still going well!

I’m also surprised in the conditions they live in at the pet store, although apparently they do live in puddles in the wild.

I hope your fishy has a good life. Nice building work.

G
    October 6, 2009 at 5:59 am

Luvvv the blue colour of Mr Fishy. Electric blue eh? What is it called (apart from Mr Fishy 😛 )? Meaning, a gurami, cat fish.. what?

BTW, Your DIY project insipred us to make our own bed. Will post pictures soon. 🙂

Nice job, PB!

Legal Alien
    October 6, 2009 at 6:25 am

aww…congratulations on Mr. Fishy. I’m considering getting a fish too!

And so proud of your DIY work. My dad is really good with this stuff and would always make me help him. When we moved into our new home recently we had lots of flat pack stuff to build including our bed and dining table and my bf was shocked that I was so quick with stuff while he was still reading the manual 😉 It feels great though to build your own stuff

October 6, 2009 at 6:29 am

@ Chantel: You won’t believe this but I ended up breaking one of those legs. Looks like I need a fishbowl like yours…flat bottom! I guess the fact that your fish has been going strong for a year gives me some hope with mine!

@ G: It’s a Fighting Fish. They are soooo pretty. I love this colour and the red coloured fish. And looking forward to seeing your bed… 🙂

Nu
    October 6, 2009 at 6:38 am

Hey ‘fishy’ is beautiful..errr..handsome I mean 🙂 Well what’s his name going to be ? No not fishy ya.something more loving,right ?

You..i mean YOU did the furniture work ? Amazing 🙂 3 cheers 🙂 Very very nice ! Compliments 🙂

Joel
    October 6, 2009 at 7:40 am

yeyy .. congrats .. finally i have someone else in my friend circle who has a fish as a pet .. most of the time i tell people i have a fish (well a couple of em) as pets they give me this look .. ! .. phew so i am normal !

the DIY looks pretty neat .. good work ..

soin
    October 6, 2009 at 8:00 am

get a turtle..

October 6, 2009 at 8:29 am

@ Legal Alien: Nice…do put up pix when you get a fish. The fighting fish look amazing. And very impressive of you being able to put stuff together before you bf. Girl power!!

@ Nu: I think I’m sticking with Mr. Fishy. Kinda has a funny ring to it. 🙂 And thank you re the furniture. (Tries to be modest)

@ Joel: I didn’t know you had fish! And why shouldn’t they be pets? True, you can’t play with them but they are still nice to look at.

@ Soin: Nah. If I want something that requires more work, I’ll opt for a cat or dog.

Reema
    October 6, 2009 at 1:44 pm

somehow I find fish to be a very boring pet!

October 6, 2009 at 4:04 pm

sweet..take good care of Mr. Fishy 🙂

October 6, 2009 at 4:04 pm

and awesome work on putting together the furniture..way to go!…

Bhagwad Jal Park
    October 7, 2009 at 3:56 am

I’ve always avoided getting a fish till now – I feel it must be rather sad to stay cooped up like that. And to be watched all the time, though I’m probably imposing my own human feelings onto it – I’m sure it doesn’t really care about privacy…

Nonetheless, it’s something I’ve quite an aversion to. Refused to let my better half get one too!

October 7, 2009 at 9:06 am

@ Reema: Agree. But I’m working my way up. Wanted something and this was the cheapest! 😛

@ Titaxy: Will do my best…and thanks re the furniture

@ Bhagwad: Welcome! Did you know, fighting fish are actually better off alone? That’s coz they don’t get along with another fish and are meant to be by themselves. So I don’t think they feel that lonely 🙂

Aditya
    October 7, 2009 at 6:54 pm

I always dreamed of buying an aquarium :(( ..Hope my dream comes soon. Cool pics.

Cat-people versus Dog-people — Over Cups of Coffee
    August 5, 2013 at 11:07 am

[…] I decided to settle for a cat given that I live in a unit and really wanted a pet. My record with fish wasn’t too good. I had heard enough stories about cats being aloof and independent and not […]