Humour

My Life on the Silver Screen

***This post is Challenge 19 and is part of Blog This.***
The Challenge is ‘If they made a movie of your life, what would be the main issue/event and who would be the main characters? Feel free to elaborate on actors, directors, cinematographers, soundtrack etc’

This challenge was quite a difficult one for me. Why? Because my life so far has not been one that’s worth making it to the silver screen. Don’t get me wrong…I’m not saying I’m dissatisfied with my life. I am more than happy and content. It just doesn’t have the makings of a movie.

But I figured, I’d still give it a go.

The closest movie that my life comes to or the one that I found I could relate to was Bend it like Beckham. No I haven’t lived in England. And no, I don’t play football.

But…

• I have grown up with identity problems as far as my cultural background is concerned. I have had difficulty identifying with my Indian culture. However, I have adapted to the Aussie culture and feel like I have finally resolved those conflicts.
  • I have grown up with relatives telling me not to play out in the sun too long because I would get dark
  • I was never a girly girl
  • I have grown up idolising a sports player…except, it wasn’t Beckham (ugh!). Rather, it was Adam Gilchrist.
  • I have had several posters of Gilchrist and other cricketers adorning the walls of my bedroom until I was 23.
  • I have talked to my posters of Gilly when things have seemed hard (just like how she talks to Beckham in the movie). And no, I’m not crazy. Sometimes it’s the most normal thing in the world!
  • I have loved playing cricket and football, albeit with friends, and preferred it over being in the kitchen. My mum was worried about me coming to Aus solely because of my poor culinary skills. My only reason to go into the kitchen while growing up was to eat. Not to cook.
  • I have been told off by my grandmother for not learning to cook
  • I have had issues with my extended family
  • I left India for Australia in order to achieve my goals and dreams (just as Jess leaves for the US to achieve hers)
  • And, like Jess who saw Beckham at the airport, I met my idol Gilly at Penrith (okay, not quite the same!)
  • Like Jess, I have had a very supportive dad and unlike Jess, a supportive mum and younger sister as well.

So with a few tweaks to the movie, my life could be like Bend it like Beckham.

Now all I need is a nice Aussie bloke 🙂

I prefer the independent low-budget movies…the non-Hollywood kind. So regarding who would play me: it would have to be someone with an Indian background that is dark skinned and low key. No big shots. It’d be directed by someone relatively unknown as well.

And who knows? It could become as big as Bend it like Beckham or Crash! 🙂

So that’s me…and my life on the silver screen.

What about the rest of you? Any movies that could be made out of your life?

Nu
    October 6, 2009 at 9:02 am

Well…*started thinking*………..

Legal Alien
    October 6, 2009 at 11:05 am

Ooo…Ive been thinking of doing the challenge too but I can’t think of anything 🙁 Too much uni work today!

Nisha
    October 6, 2009 at 11:47 am

I had to have a giggle at #2 because as a young indian girl i was extremely confused as to why I was being hauled off to the shelters by my mum, and couldnt sunbake along with my aussie friends at the pool!!

Loved your entry!

Smita
    October 6, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I think yes, of that of my college days 😀

You know even my relatives were behind my life & were always eagerly suggesting ways to improve my complexion!!! Thankfully my Mom was least bothered!!!

May you get the bloke soon 😉

Sidthegnomenator
    October 6, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Very nice! When did you meet Gilly? (seethes with jealousy …)

🙂

October 6, 2009 at 4:02 pm

nice :-)…

you are on a roll, eh? i see 3new posts from you/..on a day 🙂 WOW

Solilo
    October 6, 2009 at 5:08 pm

PB, This is fun. Now I need to think. 😀 It will be a mishmash of movies. :))

October 7, 2009 at 8:52 am

@ Nu: Have you thought about it yet?

@ Legal Alien: I didn’t think I could do this…but then thought of it in the shower. 😛

@ Nisha: Welcome and thanks! 🙂 So you can definitely understand the whole ‘stay in the shade’ thing. 😛 It must have been difficult esp given how lovely it is to sunbake here!

@ Smita: I remember you mentioning abt your relatives…why must they all be so nosy!

@ Sid: Oh…I met him last October at his book signing. I even wrote a post on it http://www.overacuppacoffee.com/2008/11/dream-come-true.html

@ Titaxy: Yep I am. School holidays so only working twice a week this week and next.

@ Solilo: Do think! And let us know… 🙂

indianhomemaker
    October 7, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Wow that’s interesting!! When you started I wondered how does a happy and generally content life compare ever with the drama of Hollywood/Bollywood, but of course we do have our own little stories!!! This was fun to read and still was meaningful too!!!

Aditya
    October 7, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Nice thought process really. And yeah Gilly is a rage.

Amol Naik
    October 8, 2009 at 6:26 am

Cool! I haven’t seen “bend it…” but I guess I know the script now.. 😉

G
    October 8, 2009 at 8:52 am

Wow. Intesting, zestful and dramatic…The movie I mean. 😛
    Nice to know you have livedlife on similar lines. Quite ambitious and focussed I must say. To work towards what you have always wanted.

Thinking now…what movie am I! And my mind has gone blank. Cannot recollect a single movie now..

October 8, 2009 at 11:33 am

@ IHM: Yeah, I highly doubt some of us could have a life that’s exactly like a movie…not too dramatic. Glad you enjoyed reading it…

@ Aditya: Thanks!

@ Amol: You haven’t seen it???!!! Lol…I saw it about 6-7 times…3 of which were at the movies. 😛

@ G: Do think what movie your life could be…doesn’t have to be exact! I totally identified with Jess when I saw the movie I must say.

Bethany
    October 15, 2009 at 2:50 am

Great post, I really enjoyed reading about your ‘movie’. Can relate to much of it. Another cricket nut here. How much do we miss Gilly!!! Off to read about your brush with the great man now…