Humour

Pet Peeves…

I get really annoyed…

…when people listen to their music on the loudspeaker rather than with headphones on public transport. The headphones are there for a bloody reason!!!! Not everyone likes to listen to your hip-hop shit.

…when people make plans with you and cancel it the last minute. It shows you don’t respect the other person…and it feels like you were just waiting for something better to come up. It’s plain rude!!!

…when you let another driver into your lane and they don’t thank you for it. How much effort does it take to just wave a thanks????

…when people decide to meet at a certain time and are late. Every. Single. Time. You think I don’t have anything better to do than wait for you???

…when people speak loudly on their mobile phones in a public place. I really do not care whether your brother and his wife are having relationship problems!!! Take the conversation home.

…when drivers stop on a clearway and have their indicators on. It’s a clearway. Don’t Stop. Especially not when the rest of us are going at 70 kph. You dickwits. (Yes, I suffer from road rage)

…when clients come for help but are not willing to do any work to change. I do not have a magic wand. You have got to do the work we set or else you will continue to be depressed or anxious. Surprise, surprise.

…when drivers drive a left turn only lane (or right) and block the whole lane because they actually want to merge on to the one going straight but this way was quicker. There are signs from way back for a reason. Read them!! (There’s that road rage again)

…when Indians here in Sydney stare at me like I’m a weird species. Yes I wear singlets. Yes I have an Aussie accent. Stop fucking staring. It’s rude.

…when drivers go 50 kph on a 70 kph zone. And sometimes in the right hand lane. If you intend to drive slowly, go to the far left. Some people are in a hurry!

…when people talk really loudly in the library. And laugh. And scream. And speak on their phones. It’s a library. SHHHHHHHH!!!

…when women authors portray women in books as being weak. Why I ask you. Why?

I could go on and on.

But I’ll stop for now.

Matt Parker
    October 1, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I totally agree with you on the third point,how hard is it?I do wave but some people seem to take it as some kind of rude gesture!!And they wave back not gesturing with all five fingers!!

Solilo
    October 1, 2009 at 5:46 pm

PB, this is good. Rants are good. There was once this tag I did ‘Gets my goat’. This would go in that. 🙂 Agree with everything you mentioned here.

MilesPerHour
    October 1, 2009 at 7:15 pm

I guess I have fewer pet peeves because I expect people to do knuckleheaded things.

October 1, 2009 at 7:40 pm

lol…i share a few of these with you…actually just last week i was whinning about how no one ever thanks me if i let them merge into the lane that i’m driving on…oh well, can’t do anything 😀

Legal Alien
    October 2, 2009 at 3:55 am

awww..hahaha. having a bad day on the road? notice how so many of your peeves are driving related! 😉
    But i agree with you on so many counts there. Andandand, you’ve started a new tag…I will be unoriginal and do the same post for my blog too 😉

Shankar
    October 2, 2009 at 6:20 am

ha..ha… the conversation thing on mobile was funny.. Better come to India.. where you can see bikes and cars moving at 100kmph on a road where it is specified and advised to ride at 40kmph. he..he..

October 2, 2009 at 6:58 am

@ Matt: Welcome!! Oh…can’t believe people respond with the one-finger wave when you wave! That’s never happened to me here. Fortunately there are still people who thank me (and I thank people all the time because merging is a nightmare for me) but I hate the ones that don’t appreciate you letting them in. :/

@ Solilo: Lol…I reckon that would have been a fun tag…and I could have gone on and on and on….

@ MPH: I think I should start doing that too. I expect everyone to follow the rules. And guess what, I then get annoyed when they don’t! Unhelpful thinking there…

@ Titaxy: Well, there’s something you can do if you wanted…beep them! 😛 Or stop letting people in 😛

@ Legal Alien: Hehe…yeah…this week hasn’t been the best with some dickeads out there. Lol didn’t realise I started a new tag. Feel free to take it on… 😀

@ Shankar: Omg, the driving in India…when I was there in July I almost had a heart attack. I think before I never drove there so never realised how dangerously people drive. As a friend of mine rightly said, In India you have to know what the other driver is going to do even before the other driver knows what he is going to do. Talk about hazard perception skills! 😛

Aditya
    October 2, 2009 at 11:15 am

Omg, someone is real angry. Sorry but some of them cracked me up 😛 .. especially those talking loud on thier phones. haha 😛

Come to India and you will never finish this post 😛

Reema
    October 2, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Ahh I really dislike people listening to their choice of music loudly

Orhan Kahn
    October 2, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I’m with you on almost every one of these. I’m not much of a reader but I do know that not all women are strong and it is easier to right about a person who is weak, male or female.

October 2, 2009 at 11:10 pm

@ Aditya: That person talking loudly on the phone is true…it happened on a quiet bus last year! Oh…and I could write a whole other post on my ‘pet peeves re India’ 😛 I had a whole list when I visited after 4 years in July.

@ Reema: Yeah…why do they think everyone else wants to listen to them??? And here esp when it’s quiet on the buses and trains…ppl doing that (usually teenagers) annoy the crap out of me!

@ Orhan: I thought you would agree esp on the driving ones. 😀 I think you are right re ease of writing about a weak character. A strong character would involve a lot more layers and depth.

G
    October 4, 2009 at 11:39 am

I could so add to the list you know. Yesterday there was a couple in the flight sitting right behind us. They were so obnoxious! We had to tell them to speak softly.
    You wont believe it, but the lady actually switched on her mobile phone when we were in flight, and jokingly said “Checking if we get network here” Phew!

Hey and then there are people who kick the back of your seats at theaters, reclined seats in volvo buses etc.

:-X

*Gone off to cool self*

October 4, 2009 at 10:05 pm

@ G: Oh…I could definitely add more to the list but figured it would be a verrrrrry long post. And as someone mentioned, had I written this when I was in India, it would have been much longer! The mobile phone in the plane thing annoyed me too…when I was travelling in July…and this happened only on the Singpore-Bombay flight (both ways), there were people who got out of their seat when they weren’t supposed to (and there had to be an announcement to stay in their seat) and this guy who was using his mobile and had to have an airhostess tell him to turn it off. Don’t they realise that there are reasons for these rules???

ani_aset