Life

What a Week!

I cried at work today.

Why, you ask. Well, I had a parent verbally attack me and had to sit through a confrontation trying to be assertive because I knew I was right. Thankfully my employer stood up for me and intervened. He didn’t get very far with the parent either who was also rude to him. And I’m even more thankful that I was speaking to the parent just off the reception area…which enabled the receptionist to call my boss (To the Indians that read my blog, the parent was of the same cultural background as me…so please don’t infer any form of racism like the media back in India is doing…)

I just have to say this: I prefer teenagers that are referred for counselling for being aggressive or have even had violent histories…because even they respect me and treat me well. I have not felt intimidated by young men who are taller and bigger than me. On the other hand, I have felt intimidated by some parents. Especially when they start to attack my experience and expertise.

I know they do so because they get defensive.

But it’s still bloody hard to deal with. Anyway, I didn’t cry in front of the parent. I cried once the parent was gone in front of my boss and the receptionist.

It’s been a hell of a week. All I can hope for is the next week is not as stressful.

memoriesandmirages
    October 24, 2009 at 6:05 am

hugs, PB…i wish you an awesome week ahead…

soin
    October 24, 2009 at 7:05 am

just the other da i asked if u have snapped..well parents are always difficult to deal with..nothing new about it..free

Nu
    October 24, 2009 at 7:19 am

oh dear ! Pls don’t cry and waste your tears….come here..hugg……

LadyinRed
    October 24, 2009 at 8:03 am

It must’ve been very upsetting for you!! Good on you for keeping your calm & cool in front of the parents.

*big hugs*

G
    October 24, 2009 at 8:14 am

OMG! What a stressful job yaar. Take care. And hey, you were quite brave to not break down in front of the parent. That would have given them an upper hand and made them feel they are right.
    Phew! Take care girl.

October 24, 2009 at 8:17 am

@ Titaxy: Thank you 🙂

@ Soin: Yeah…funny that, eh? I actually haven’t really snapped at clients yet but definitely fumed once they have gone…

@ Nu: Thank you 🙂

@ LadyinRed: Thank you 🙂

eternallymine
    October 24, 2009 at 8:36 am

Oh dear, I’m terrible at being assertive so I feel your pain! I hope you have a relaxing weekend and can spend some time being gentle with yourself.

Smita
    October 24, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Take care girl ! I guess it was one of those weeks but am sure as things can not go bad than this so next week will see u brighter and happy 😀

Pesto Sauce
    October 25, 2009 at 4:28 am

Happens…take care

Archana
    October 25, 2009 at 6:48 am

Eeks, sorry to hear that. Some parents do get terribly defensive about their kids to a point where they don’t really make much sense. Good to know your boss stood up for you. 🙂

Hope you’re having a relaxing weekend after a hectic work week!

Sidthegnomenator
    October 25, 2009 at 10:03 am

I’m glad your employers stood up for you – mine sure wouldn’t. I am currently having to deal with a 17 year old who has harassed me both in and out of work and who I told to piss off WHEN I WAS OFF DUTY. He complained, I got into trouble and he is still allowed to come in the library and taunt me as much as he pleases.

October 25, 2009 at 10:42 pm

@ Avada: Y’know what…even if you were good at being assertive, I doubt it always works. With some people, there’s no hope. Anyway, I did relax on Sunday…so that was good 🙂

@ Smita: That’s what I reckon…it can’t get any worse 😛

@ Pesto: Thanks…

@ Archana: You’re right about some people not making sense once they get defensive…it’s like they’ll pick on anything they can!

@ Sid: You’re kidding! That’s outrageous that they didn’t back you up. If my employers weren’t supportive (at all the places I work) I think I would have quit a long time back. I mean, the job’s stressful enough without having employers that don’t have your back. I have been fortunate so far. Touchwood.

Joel
    October 26, 2009 at 10:42 am

loads of hugs !!

October 26, 2009 at 10:50 am

@ Joel: Thanks 🙂

G
    October 26, 2009 at 11:14 am

Hey, did I say something wrong or have you accidentally missed replying to my comment? Just confirming cos it was an emotional post and Id rather not be misjudged 🙁

G
    October 26, 2009 at 11:19 am

‘misquoted’ I meant there. Spamming you with comments, na? 😀

October 26, 2009 at 11:23 am

@ G: Shoot…no you didn’t say anything wrong. I remember what happened…you had posted your comment when I was typing out a reply and then I missed that I didn’t reply to you in the next set! Sorry!! And thanks for saying I was brave…I felt like I was shitting myself there 😛 But you are right in not letting the other person see you are nervous…coz then they can make it even worse…

ani_aset
    October 27, 2009 at 11:45 am

aww PB >:D< ...hope you are fine. Its a part of life, we need to learn how to deal with it. May be next time you will deal with it differently. I dont know what i would have done , had i been in your place. Take care

Richa
    October 29, 2009 at 1:02 am

Oh, I am really sorry to hear that. I hope you are doing better now.

Well I am too late to comment I guess but try to take it easy for a while…

The Ketchup Girl
    October 29, 2009 at 1:32 am

awwww…heres a BIG hug. a trifle late but then hugs are always welcome (who cares what the school authorites here say :D). yes, you are right- parents of children who need counselling get defensive. Its always like- my child is perfect. You should have suggested to that parent that he needs as much help as his child. why do people like leaving a sense of negetivity and a bad taste in people’s mouth?! live, let live, let others help live. hug.

November 2, 2009 at 9:54 am

@ Ani: Thanks…learnt a few things from it for sure…

@ Richa: No worries…thanks for the lovely comment 🙂

@ KG: Oh…I definitely thought the parent had way more problems but there was no point as it was only the child I saw in the context of a client.