Life lessons NaBloPoMo

Happily Ever After

I don’t know how many of you heard this news which is a bit old now. The BBC decided to change the end of the nursery rhyme Humpty Dumpty to ‘made Humpty happy again’ instead of ‘Couldn’t put Humpty together again’. They also changed Little Miss Muffet’s ending to her and the spider becoming friends. (I’m surprised they didn’t change ‘Jack and Jill’ as well)

The reason: The original endings are too harsh and horrific for children.

What the fuck?!

I don’t remember any of us being traumatised by listening to these nursery rhymes or for that matter, even reading fairy tales that had wicked step mothers and big bad wolves. And why does everything need to have a ‘happily ever after’? And aren’t kids being cotton-woolled (I think I just made up that word) enough? Not only do they not go out and play, get dirty and get hurt, but now they won’t be reading nursery rhymes that will upset them.

Are we going to let kids grow up thinking eveyrthing in the world is hunky-dory?

Or are we going to teach them to be friends with spiders (which in Australia is so not advisable!)

Or, better yet, are we telling them that even if they sit on a high wall, they are never going to fall and get hurt? (Because that cotton-wool we are wrapping them up with is going to do it’s job!)

Getting hurt is part of life. Physically and emotionally.

And they need to know that.

Kids need to know that shit happens. But you can deal with it.

By wrapping them up in cotton-wool, how long do we think we can keep them safe?

And how are they going to deal with the shit when it does happen?

Because it will.

And then what? (And don’t say you’ll send them to me to ‘fix’)

November 21, 2009 at 7:47 am

first?..

will go read now 😀

November 21, 2009 at 8:03 am

i didn’t know about this…it’s crazy, that is all it is…i don’t even know what to say…there’s so many things that can happen in every day life that brings negativity into someone’s world and here they are fixing nursery rhymes…

kids need to learn right from the beginning that there aren’t always happy endings and that life goes on no matter what…and one way to gradually teach them and mould them to adapt to the world that is today are all these things that you’ve mentioned..changing everything to happy ending doesn’t make any sense to me. whatever!

well, i’ll be sure to teach my kid(s), if and when i have them, the older version instead of the newer.. 😛

*Shreya*
    November 21, 2009 at 9:09 am

think i was too busy trying to get myself to LEARN those rhymes by heart and then recollect them to really be ‘traumatized’ by their endings or beginnings … sounds ridiculous!!!!!

Pesto Sauce
    November 21, 2009 at 10:01 am

Getting hurt is a part of life….so so true

Quixotic
    November 21, 2009 at 10:06 am

Oh, you are so singing my song Sister!!! I can’t stand the PC-Police co-opting my beloved nursery rhymes and childhood stories and giving them a saccharine twist. Bring on smashed eggs, Goldilocks ripped to shreds by hungry bears and the Big Bad Wolf eating Granmama and then getting chopped up!

Nu
    November 21, 2009 at 10:26 am

Ha ! Changing the nursery rhyme would do good to kids ? And really, what happened to us who grew up listening to the same nursery rhyme ? I don’t think any of us actually paid a head to that last liner !

I think these people sitting up there don’t have better jobs to do than while around !

Tnx for informing..I wasn’t aware

soin
    November 21, 2009 at 12:15 pm

the world is full of such people.. these days there are too many so called cynics that the original cynics feel left out.free

Antarman
    November 21, 2009 at 1:49 pm

ridiculous indeed!

November 21, 2009 at 9:58 pm

@ Titaxy: Yep you’re first! And yeah kids do need to realise that there isn’t necessarily a happy ending to stuff in life and that it’s okay. I mean, we’ve all had shit happen and we still move on with life. Glad you will teach your kids the real thing! 😀

@ Shreya: Lol! Agree!!

@ Pesto: Yeah it is…and we all deal with it, don’t we?

@ Quixotic: Absolutely…and the wicked step mothers, the poisonous apples, two kids sent away by their parents into the forest…

@ Nu: Yeah…you really have to wonder what these people are doing in their jobs…they must be really bored. I can almost picture them sitting around their big desk coming up with ideas such as hey…let’s change the nursery rhyme because they are so hard for our kids to take!

@ Soin: I call them the political-correctness police…trying to put a ‘nice’ spin to everything. For crying out loud, they need to call a spade a spade.

@ Antarman: TEll me about it! :/

Richa
    November 22, 2009 at 12:09 am

I think world is divided in two kinds of parents, first are the parents who are the real reason behind the child-abuse and domestic-violence laws and second who are way so worried about their kids that they don’t let them grow. Oh okay, there are few well balanced parents but they are the quite types and usually don’t draw media’s and world’s attention to them. If you ask me, there should be laws against the first two varieties. They both are dangerous for a child’s growth.

I don’t understand why the government and all the other organization just punish the first kind while submit to the demands of the second one? They are equally dangerous for children. Unless the well balanced parents start speaking up, the second variety is going to mollycoddle theirs as well as all the other kids in the world until they have spoiled brats everywhere. There should be a law against them too…

Vicki
    November 22, 2009 at 12:34 am

It’s getting beyond a joke isn’t it? I was reading through a nursery rhyme book the other day (as you do). Had all of the old ones in it. 4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie blah blah… thinking “wow, some of these are really full on!”. But as a child I never remembered them being so ‘bad’. It’s just what society has changed them to now!

MilesPerHour
    November 22, 2009 at 12:56 am

I wonder what happened to Jack Be Nimble…

Legal Alien
    November 22, 2009 at 3:19 am

ohh.. uggh! that is so stupid. I rememebr reading about this a few years ago, particularly about Humpty Dumpty and how it traumatises kids and thought it was so dumb. I remember finding Humpty Dumpty funny and not even remotely traumatising. This mollycoddling is ridiculous!

Lavanya Siva
    November 23, 2009 at 12:05 am

Ho yes, i to dont agree with it. I think there are many other thinks that are needed to be changed. And real waste of time sitting and shitting on the nursery rhymes, when its just one among the 100 rhymes.

Clarissa
    November 23, 2009 at 3:30 am

Hi. Just read an article in the sydney morning herald in the education section about scary stories being good for children/prepubscents etc. Think it was called “Don’t spare the scary story”. 🙂

November 23, 2009 at 9:52 am

@ Richa: You are so right! In my line of work, I do see both types. Unfortunately, hardly ever see the ‘normal’ type…because they are few and far between!

@ Vicki: YEah…and I think the point of nursery rhymes is just the rhyming bit. As kids, we dont’ really read into them! Think about Rock-a-bye baby which is sung to several kids as a lullaby…the words are not so nice!

@ MPH: Lol I wonder…

@ Legal Alien: Yea I remember it being funny too…

@ Lavanya: I think these people don’t have much work to do and need to make it seem like they are working! 😛

@ Clarissa: Wow! I need to read that. So now there’s contradictory stuff out there. Has that happened before?? 😛

DarNonymous
    November 23, 2009 at 11:20 am

Haha, they’re right dontcha know?! Cos if an egg really falls off a wall it just lives happily ever after.
    What are they so worried about anyway, don’t they know kids these days are more interested in their Wii’s than nursery rhhymes?!

December 1, 2009 at 10:21 am

@ Darnonymous: Haha!! And you’re right…so it’s okay for kids to kill other people/things on Wii and PS but it’s not okay for them to hear that Humpty Dumpty actually couldn’t be put back together. Go figure!

ani_aset
    December 19, 2009 at 8:13 am

ofcourse we’ll send em to you 😀 to fix !! I like the kind of topics that you write on..keep the good work coming