Life NaBloPoMo

Time of Death: Would you want to know?

As I was driving to work the other day, there was a discussion on the radio about this TV show Flash Forward. Now I haven’t seen the show but apparently the whole world blacks out for a certain period of time and everyone sees a glimpse of their future. One person sees nothing. And it turns out that’s because he is going to die. And he finds out that he will be murdered.

So anyway, the discussion on the radio turned to wondering whether or not you would like to know when and how you were going to die. And it made me wonder: Would I like to know how and when I’m going to die?

Knowing might be good because
– It could help me plan what to do for the next few years or months or days
– It could help me avoid death if it was too close. E.g. If I was going to die in a plane crash, I’d avoid planes (get the drift?)
– It might even make me lighten up a bit and just relax and enjoy life more
– It might encourage me to take risks because I’d probably be thinking there’s not much to lose
– I’d probably try and be healthier than I am
– I would definitely do things to make a difference in people’s life

However,
– Being the anxious individual I am, it is more likely to make me anxious and avoidant
– Being the perfectionist I am, it is more likely to make me achieve more goals prior to conking it which means I might get more stressed and conk it sooner 😛
– Being the melancholic individual I can be, it is more likely I will get depressed
– Being anxious, I might not focus much on work. I might lose interest in it totally. And I really doubt I will be fun knowing how and when I’m going to die

I guess, to sum it up, I’d rather not know how I am going to die. Even if I could change or beat it.

What about you?

Would you like to know how and when you are going to die?

And if so, would you prepare for it or try and evade it?

Do share.

G
    November 12, 2009 at 3:49 am

I would not want to know when I am going to die, but I would like it if I was given a prior notice. It would be nice to know say a couple of months before hand. That would be enough to say my goodbyes, pack up and be ready to leave. 🙂

soin
    November 12, 2009 at 4:33 am

i dont want to know.. and if i know i wouldnt want to wait for it to come and claim me.. rather i would go ahead and meet it head on..free

mahmud faisal
    November 12, 2009 at 5:13 am

I do not want to know, would never do…

But I am always ready to leave this earth… to the eternity. I fear what is waiting hereafter…

I like the thinking PB…
    thanks for the post 🙂

Matt Parker
    November 12, 2009 at 6:26 am

I would prefer not to.
    There are two sides to the coin.If i did know my death time,I would ceratinly go mad! 😛

It really puts a strain on the human psyche.

The only reason I would want to know the time of my death,is so that I would be able to say goodbye to the people I love.

People might say that they would like to know when they die,so that they could settle things and lead a good life,but what if the time is later on today?!

It is terrifying!! 🙂

Legal Alien
    November 12, 2009 at 6:38 am

I would prefer not to know. For EXACTLY the same reasons you’ve given. hehe.

Legal Alien
    November 12, 2009 at 6:44 am

oh hey, i noticed you got an honourable mention for the dream home blog this challenge. COngratulations! 😀

The Quirky Indian
    November 12, 2009 at 7:57 am

A very interesting question. As your post implies, the answer depends on the kind of person one is. Some people might look at it as having only so much time to accomplish certain things – it might make them work harder to achieve their goals. But others might just lose interest and start getting anxiety attacks.

I guess I would like to know – to plan my exit better.

Quirky Indian

G
    November 12, 2009 at 8:34 am

Wow! I was first! :):)
    This week is my week. I have been first on so many blogs these days. (Proves how ‘vella’/idle I am )
    Heehee

November 12, 2009 at 9:16 am

@ G: Yes you are first! 🙂 I know what you mean about prior notice…just enough time to say good bye to everyone!

@ Soin: Funny…I assumed you may be one of the people who would like to know! 🙂

@ Mahmud: You fear what comes after life? Hmm…that could make an interesting post in itself. I don’t know what I think of what happens after death…I just see blackness. No heaven or hell for me.

@ Matt: Bang on! If the time is say later today or tomorrow I reckon most of us would be nervous wrecks thinking about all we didn’t do.

@ Legal Alien: Not surprised! 🙂 And thanks…

@ Quirky Indian: Ah, the first person to want to know. But like Matt said, what if it were later in the day?

Pins N Ashes
    November 12, 2009 at 10:26 am

Nope for me! I would die hearing the news then and there…feeble heart!!! or lose sleep over it or overeat n gain 10 kg more ooops!!

But it would be nice too I think give the house keys to the neighbour, the pets their feed and go globe trotting one last time, before I start having only a bird’s eye view…

BlueMist
    November 12, 2009 at 10:55 am

Yes May be I would love to know. Even if it is meant to be Today. If one is meant to die today; what can one change anyway; If you know or don’t know?
    Very very thought provoking post. when I was in college someone found this site http://www.deathclock.com and every one wanted to know when we are gonna die. An app on FB tells when and how one is going to die. 😀

perplexed
    November 12, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I would like to know only so I can tell people what I need to tell them before I go. and so I can do some crazy things that I cannot do if I am going to be alive…. I have a crazy buket list in addition to the bucket list.. so yea..I guess I would want to know, not how but just when!

November 12, 2009 at 4:13 pm

i heard about that show Flash Forward too..and i think i saw one of the episodes few weeks ago…anyway.

i wouldn’t wanna know about the time of my death…or for that matter, anything that is future…because then i might not live in the present and enjoy…i will waste what is now to worry about what is gonna happen…so nope, this ain’t for me 😛

Aditya
    November 12, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Interesting question I must say and frankly speaking I don’t care. One thing I am glad at this very moment is that I am alive!

Did I tell you, I love your template. I don’t mean just the color, but the way you customized it with perfection. And yeah if I am not getting too personal, May I know whats your name? 🙂

Smita
    November 12, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Nah I would never want to know!!! In fact I don’t even think about death!!! There is so much to tackle in life why bother about death? 😀

Richa
    November 12, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Nah I wouldn’t want to know when I am going to die as it wouldn’t matter to me. It’s the loved ones who are left behind who grieve. So I might want to know when my loved ones are going to die so atleast I get to say Good bye to them.

I recently lost my uncle. He was a photographer, I guess he was the one who inspired me to go into photography. I bought a cheap D-SLR last Christmas as a present for him. He always wanted one but couldn’t affor to buy. But he passed away in March this year. I didn’t even tell him that I bought a camera for him. Had I known, I would have couriered it to him last christmas, no matter how much it costed me…I just wish I knew!

November 13, 2009 at 9:23 am

@ PnA: IT does have a positive eh? That’s probably what makes it a bit hard to choose…and lol at feeble heart…

@ BM: Nice…you are only the second person who wants to know! Oh…and I remember that website…I remember doing that. 🙂

@ Perplexed: I’m intrigued about your crazy bucket list! 😀

@ Titaxy: Yep…the same! 🙂

@ Aditya: That’s interesting. And it’s great to know that you are content being alive at the moment! Thanks re the comment on my template! 🙂 And re my name, I prefer keeping that a secret given my profession. It’s not being too personal…it’s just that I don’t want my name associated with the blog.

@ Smita: Lol…that’s great that you don’t even think about death. Not even once??

@ Richa: Sorry to hear about your uncle. But you make a good point…I’d definitely like to know re my loved ones.

Pesto Sauce
    November 14, 2009 at 5:03 am

I am too scared of death. All of us are somewhat sacred, but it remains the ultimate truth