Gratitude

You…

I was excited when I heard that you were coming into this world. I wanted you to be a girl. I was delighted the day you were born. As a young girl of 5, I remember coming to meet you at the hospital. I was amazed at how small you were. I will remember that day even more clearly because mama (uncle) and I left the keys in the car in our hurry to meet you.

You were tiny. It amazed me. But soon I was jealous. After 5 years of having everyone’s attention, I didn’t like how they focused on you. I remember how I told everyone that your tears were “crocodile tears” because when you cried, there were no tears! I found it funny how you never kept your food in. What went in always came out. Just the wrong way.

Given that our birthdays were a month apart, you always had to compromise and celebrate it together. Until I turned 9 that is. I also remember how you stayed with me when I had chicken pox when I was 7 and wasn’t allowed visitors. I thanked you for that by deserting you for a birthday party when you got it next. I remember how I taunted you and said for years how it would have been better to have an older brother than to be stuck with you. I hated how you seemed to get special treatment just because you were younger. You were always everyone’s favourite.

As we grew older though, you and I began getting along a lot better. Yes we had our fights. But they were not as bad as before. We played games — scrabble, chess, snakes and ladders, card games. I beat you most of the time but you got better as the years went on. I slowly learnt to trust you with secrets. You and I had our inside jokes. I fondly remember the times when you and I would giggle over the smallest of things — things that no one else could understand. You were the one I’d turn to regarding what clothes suited me. You were the one I’d wake every morning before work asking if the clothes looked ‘formal enough’. You were the one I’d come home to and talk about my day — from start to finish without leaving out a single detail. You were the one I enjoyed going to the gym with.

And then, I moved. Miles away. But I still kept you updated. I still trusted you with secrets. And you and I still had our giggles, albeit over the phone. I apparently did not hug you the first time I left. (I still don’t remember shaking hands as you claim!) 4 years away from you I have realised that you have changed. Not just in terms of your taste in music. But you have grown. I am still amazed.

After almost 21 years together, I want you to know: I am glad I never had that older brother. And I would never trade you for any older brother in the world.

Thank you sis!

For being there for me.

For being supportive.

For being funny.

For being you.

Magali
    November 27, 2009 at 3:23 am

Awww shucks this is so sweet. As an only child, I am both lucky & unlucky. Is this for your sis’s birthday or something? It’s really very nice. Makes me get sentimental.

G
    November 27, 2009 at 3:42 am

First!?

Smita
    November 27, 2009 at 4:00 am

Awww!! A sweet post 🙂

Her birthday?? If yes, wishes from me 🙂

G
    November 27, 2009 at 4:05 am

Nice write-up. Younger sisters are complete darlings. My elder sister has never said so, but some things I have assumed 😛

And birthdays a month apart, that means your birthday almost coincides with mine. 🙂

November 27, 2009 at 5:04 am

@ Magali: Only child…that was another thing I used to wish for initially but then realised I would have probably been really bored without a sibling. And no, it’s not her birthday…it’s a just-like-that post. 🙂

@ G: No…second…even though the comments currently show you as first (problem with the blogger comments still existing). I remember you mentioning your elder sis in a post recently and how she’s supportive. I’m sure she feels the same way about you. My bday is in January…when’s yours?? My sis is in Feb…

@ Smita: Thanks 🙂 But no…it’s not her b’day. Just felt like writing this… Her b’day is in Feb

G
    November 27, 2009 at 5:24 am

Ohh! I thought its your sisters birthday today and yours a month later… 🙁 Never mind.

Nu
    November 27, 2009 at 5:27 am

So what if it’s not her b’day..every day is a day to thank our loved ones and tell them how much you love & care,right ?

A very touchy and cute post I must say 🙂 Aaah..sisters..Well I don’t have one but I have a younger brother and he is not that bad too 😛

But you know since everybody in my friend circle had sisters I always told mom,22 years back,that she should bring a baby sister from the hospital 🙂 But now that we are grown-ups I’m settled with the brother a sibling 🙂

Bottom line is siblings are so much fun and so much part of us !

Rajesh Kanuri
    November 27, 2009 at 6:29 am

cute little story..

Shilpa Garg
    November 27, 2009 at 7:39 am

Awww…that’s such a sweet post!! It made me go down the memory lane! Coz I am the eldest and have 2 younger sisters!!
    You gave me an idea!! 😉
    Thank you!! 🙂

Sonu
    November 27, 2009 at 7:40 am

I have the biggest smile on my face right now with tears running down all over my face as well. Thank you so much!!! There’s so much I want to say but all I will say is that I’m really glad you’re my big sis. You are my BEST FRIEND, my IDOL, my MENTOR and the MOST IMPORTANT PERSON in my life and I thank God everyday for YOU!!! I love you sis!!

Reema
    November 27, 2009 at 9:23 am

wonderful post! sisters rock!!! I too have written a post abt mine

Magali
    November 27, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Sweet 🙂

Legal Alien
    November 27, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I have a younger sister too. And our birthdays are a month apart too. LOL. Pause for reaction.
    My modem has conked 🙁 so no internet access hence i have been MIA. I love your post because I can relate to it in soo many ways.
    Hopefully will be able to blog soon.

Pesto Sauce
    November 27, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Yeah…siblings are God’s gifts and the most awesome fun to be around

British Thoughts
    November 28, 2009 at 11:00 pm

That was wonderful and silver-tongued!
    Lucky to have such a sis!

And your sis’ reply was sweeet!Mentor and Idol,that is soo apt!!

Cheers

November 28, 2009 at 11:11 pm

how sweet is this! loved the post, PB..i’m sure your sis was all misty eyed when she read it 😉

Aditya
    December 1, 2009 at 9:29 am

Beautiful post. Loved it very much. My younger sister’s birthday is just 1 month, 25 days after mine 😀

December 1, 2009 at 9:35 am

@ Nu: That’s so funny…in my friend circle through school, there was only one other person that had ayounger sis…everyone else had brothers! 😛 But yeah, things change as we grow up…

@ Rajesh: Thanks 🙂

@ Shilpa: Nice…will wait to see how the idea turns out…

@ Sonu: 🙂 Thanks…love you too…Plus meant all I wrote…

@ Reema: Will definitely take a look at yours!

@ Legal: You are kidding me! These coincidences are getting freakier by the day…hope your modem gets fixed soon…

@ Pesto: Amen to that!

@ Titaxy: Yep she was 😀

@ Matt: Thanks 🙂 And yes, I am lucky…

ani_aset
    December 19, 2009 at 6:38 am

this is so sweet..i could relate to everything here..i too have a younger sis..we have fought and now i miss her..till the time i meet her to fight again..cant get enough of it 😛

nidsitis
    January 3, 2012 at 11:30 am

I could have written this. Only thing is I am the youngest. So really I was the brat. I have lived away from both my sisters for long periods. But trust me, I know I am the luckiest girl in the  world. 🙂 I have friends, confidantes, idols and mentors all rolled up in one.

Your bond, its purity, shows so nicely in this. I am glad you linked this. 🙂

January 6, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Sisters are great Nids…and you are lucky to have two! 🙂 I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have had another sister…I know it wouldn’t have been great while younger because of the fights but I still reckon the older you get, you tend to treasure the relationship! Glad you liked the post! 🙂