Flash Fiction

55 Fiction: The Plan

Have you had suicidal thoughts?
Do you have a plan?
Remember what I told you about limits to confidentiality*?
Can you guarantee your safety?
I hope you believe me” they both thought
For Mike was sick of his client spoiling his perfect outcomes. She’d never realise the plan was actually his.

(c) Sanch Vee @ Sanch Writes (24 January 2010)

Written for Sunday Scribblings Prompt ‘Yes’

*Every client is initially informed about the limits of confidentiality. They are told that if there is risk of harm to themselves or someone else, or if a file is subpoenaed, confidentiality can be waived.

***********************************************************************

DISCLAIMER: I mean no disrespect to individuals that are in this ‘client’s’ position. I would also like to say that therapists have to do a comprehensive risk of harm assessment and it is not as portrayed in this 55-Fiction. I also highly doubt there are therapists such as ‘Mike’. No therapist likes having a client kill themselves. Please treat this as it is — a work of fiction (despite it being morbid).

21 Comments

Sanch, the writer
    January 24, 2010 at 10:39 am

Haha! There you go…you learn something new every day! 🙂

bluntedges
    January 24, 2010 at 10:37 am

morbid indeed!
    n had never heard of the limits of confidentiality thing…gyan 4 the day 😉

PsychBabbler
    January 24, 2010 at 10:39 am

Haha! There you go…you learn something new every day! 🙂

John
    January 24, 2010 at 2:02 pm

This really made me laugh.

January 24, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I did’t know about the limited confidentiality either. Nice work, PB 🙂

Sanch, the writer
    January 25, 2010 at 3:33 am

Welcome to my blog! That’s good…that was part of it…but didn’t think anyone would in fact laugh! 😀

Sanch, the writer
    January 25, 2010 at 3:33 am

Hehe…you learn something new everyday, huh?

Sanch, the writer
    January 25, 2010 at 3:36 am

Hmm…that’s interesting. The thing is with psychologists/therapists they are supposed to be ‘clients’. It’s only with psychiatrists, who are medical doctors, they are patients. And I’ve been to professional development courses where American psychologists are the speakers and they refer to them as clients as well.

And re your question Richa…that’s a can of worms you’ve opened! You would think that we all approach someone for help but the fact is most of us are concerned about self-image and therefore try and use preventative strategies instead. Having said that, I know of some colleagues who have seen psychologists for depression. I consider going myself for my anxiety but always end up not taking that step because “it’s not clinical”!

Sanch, the writer
    January 25, 2010 at 3:36 am

Whoops! I can assure you it was pure fiction. I thought of putting the disclaimer at the start but then it gives away too much! Maybe I could say 55 Fiction ahead or something…

Sanch, the writer
    January 25, 2010 at 3:37 am

Welcome to this space! And thank you for the lovely comment! I haven’t done the American Sandwich game but will look it up now that you’ve mentioned it. 🙂 Keep visiting…

January 24, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Client? Here they are called patients. Guess, just cultural difference.

I knew abt the limits of confidentiality. Read it when I signed the papers..

Question: Do therapist seek another therapist when they are depressed or troubled? Is it easier for them acknowledge it than the general populace?

Sanch, the writer
    January 25, 2010 at 6:58 am

Hmm…that’s interesting. Okay, now about a disorder being ‘clinical’…according to the DSM-IV-TR, there are a certain number of symptoms people must have to meet criteria for a disorder…but it’s not just the number but also the severity that matters. If it interferes with a person’s relationships, work, school and daily functioning, then it is clinical. So for instance, my anxiety is not clinical because it doesn’t affect my ability to work or my daily functioning or my relationships (it’s still a problem I’ll admit but I’m trying to manage it by doing my own therapy!) It’s not the most objective measure because it depends on what each individual says.

Sanch, the writer
    January 25, 2010 at 8:42 am

Thanks! Long time no see AD! 🙂 Hope you are well…

adam
    January 25, 2010 at 12:48 am

Its been quite sometime since I stopped by and said hello. And I have to say, I was quite concerned at the subject matter posted here. I am, though, glad to see it is nothing more than a work of fiction. Perhaps the disclaimer should be at the start, for idiots like me who suddenly become overly concerned.

=)

andysewina
    January 25, 2010 at 1:06 am

Nicely done 55! Subliminal, perhaps.

Have you ever tried Poetic Flash Fiction in 51 syllables, as in The American Sandwich game..? i.e. Three American Sentences.

PsychBabbler
    January 25, 2010 at 3:33 am

PsychBabbler
    January 25, 2010 at 3:33 am

Hehe…you learn something new everyday, huh?

PsychBabbler
    January 25, 2010 at 3:36 am

PsychBabbler
    January 25, 2010 at 3:36 am

PsychBabbler
    January 25, 2010 at 3:37 am

Richa
    January 25, 2010 at 4:02 am

Well, I might be wrong. I am no professional you know! Just wouldn’t like to be referred as a client by my therapist. 😉

Okay, now I have to ask: what does being “not clinical” means? Is there some kind of measure for amount of anxiety you have? And if yes, then can one be unbiased about judging one’s own anxiety level?

Just FYI: I saw my therapist for my anxiety attacks last year and haven’t had one for past six months. It helps to have someone to talk to without them getting defensive or judgmental. Well, you know that better than me!

PsychBabbler
    January 25, 2010 at 6:58 am

adesi82
    January 25, 2010 at 8:26 am

very neatly done!

YESSSSSSSS!

PsychBabbler
    January 25, 2010 at 8:42 am

Thanks! Long time no see AD! 🙂 Hope you are well…

comfortablynam
    January 25, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Wow..what a plan..Scary though?

Like so many others had never heard of the limited confidentiality.

Sanch, the writer
    January 29, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Haha…thanks! 🙂

Matthew Parker
    January 29, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Nice job on the prompt YES ! 😀

January 29, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Haha…thanks! 🙂

January 31, 2010 at 7:12 am

Yeah…morbid all right. I can assure you I have never ever done anything like this or even contemplated it… 🙂

ani_aset
    February 20, 2010 at 5:31 am

ok i had to read it twice to understand and its brilliant PB 🙂