Life

As one chapter ends…

…another is about to begin.

I finished my last day at both my jobs this week and start my new job on Monday. I am nervous. And excited. I loved both my jobs and had there been the opportunity to work full time in either one of them, I probably would have taken it. More importantly, I really liked the people I worked with. And I think that’s one of the most important things at the workplace. You can have the shittiest day possible but having good, supportive and friendly colleagues makes it all worthwhile. On the other hand, you could love the work you do but having bitchy and backstabbing colleagues will take away all that pleasure.

With the new chapter in terms of my work like, I think I’m more nervous about the people I am going to be working with. I don’t know any of them yet. All I know is that there is one other psychologist on the team. My colleagues from the jobs I quit don’t think I should have any problems because I am apparently easy-going. That’s good to know. Let’s hope it comes in handy at the new work place. My main worry though is my social anxiety. I have overcome it big time but I am still very anxious when I meet new people and tend not to say much…to the point where I can be perceived as being arrogant. I guess time will tell.

Finishing my two jobs has been quite sad and surreal. But there’s another chapter that seems to have closed, not related to work. I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but both those jobs were in the same suburb. A suburb around which I lived since I moved to Australia. No, I didn’t live in that particular suburb but the shopping centre there was my local one. I came to Sydney 5 years ago and barring the first week when I was searching for accommodation, I lived around this area. And it became home to me. Despite it’s not-so-great reputation amongst other Sydneysiders. I know most of the streets. I know the shopping centre. I lived in one suburb throughout uni and then moved to another one 10 minutes away, still in the same local government area. I was even fortunate to get a job at the school within this area. And some months down the track, the other job as well 2 minutes from the school. It was only in August last year that I moved out of the area into another suburb in totally different LGA (which I love!) But since I still continued working in what was ‘home’, it did not seem like I had made a big move.

But now, I will no longer be working around that area. And I am not going to be living there either. And that’s going to be strange. It’s a chapter of my life that has finished. The first few weeks will probably be weird…not travelling down those familiar streets, seeing those familiar sights and viewing some things that are so typical of that area. 5 years is a long time. You get used to things and you begin to like familiarity.

However, it doesn’t mean I cannot adjust. If I think back on my life, the funny thing is I’ve done many things in 5 year chunks. I went to primary school in Oman from Year 1 to 5. I then did Year 6 to 10 in another school in Bombay. I then went on to Year 11 and 12 and continued my B.A. in the same college — another 5 years. And now, 5 years studying and working around the same local government area in Sydney. And each time I’ve had to move, I’ve had different emotions. I did not like moving to Bombay from Oman but I adjusted in the first year. I was shit scared when I applied for entry into Year 11 because I thought I would not ‘fit in’…but I did by the end of the year and loved the rest of my time there. I was excited and nervous about coming to Australia but I settled within three months of living here.

So yes, I’m sad at the end of this chapter in my life…living and working around an area that was home to me. But I’m hopeful, based on past experiences, that I will adjust to the new chapter even though I am nervous and excited.

And as one of my friends told me today — it’s not like the suburb is going anywhere — you can always go there for your grocery shopping if you want to make the effort to drive out there! [Wise words indeed!!] πŸ˜›

Oh…and since the last couple of months has been so hectic with me trying to finish off my paper work and bringing work home, here’s a picture of what my desk at home looked like until yesterday:

And since I had the day off today, I spent time cleaning my entire room in preparation for my new chapter in life…

Can you believe I didn’t have space for my laptop on my desk?? I had so many bills and payslips and papers just lying there (very unlike me!) and I filed everything away and shredded others today and can actually see the top of my desk! All that’s left now is to organise some of my papers (resources that I’ve collected over the last couple of years). You know what I’m going to be up to this weekend! πŸ™‚

Anyway, hope you all have a great weekend.

And remember, as one chapter ends, another begins.

Unless of course, you are dead. πŸ˜›

Nu
    January 29, 2010 at 2:06 pm

tell me that I’m first !! pls do that πŸ™‚

Nu
    January 29, 2010 at 2:13 pm

oh baby ! it happens..and it’s natural..as you have yourself mentioned that you will adjust to your new work place too..just let the time go by and you be okay…leaving anything which you have been used to since a long time does this to you..so hold there…hugs and whole pot of luck sending across for you πŸ™‚ Muaah !!

Have a great weekend and a good start on 1st feb πŸ™‚

bookslifenmore
    January 29, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Well as you yourself have said one door closes to open another one but yes coming out of a comfort zone is always painful (at least for me)! But knowing you am sure you will get adjusted in no time πŸ™‚

And the desk looks so damn neat now hehehe πŸ™‚

Shreya
    January 29, 2010 at 2:31 pm

*calls out to her mom can starts wailing LOUDLY*

I want the same to same thing MOMMMMMIIIEEEEEEEEEEE ='((

looooads of luck love and laughter πŸ™‚

more of luck love and laughter!

chEErs to the country WE LOVE!!!!

G
    January 29, 2010 at 2:57 pm

New comment form eh! Nice…

About the post, I am sure that in a couple of months time, I am going to read your post on how you are liking everything in this new chapter. πŸ™‚
    Having apprehensions about change is obvious, you will do good, Im sure.

jessica36
    January 29, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Good luck sweetie! All will be well! πŸ™‚

January 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Wish you the very best in the new job, Psych. I know how you must be feeling, but yes, you will adjust soon πŸ™‚ It won’t be that hard.

Have a great weekend. And then a great week starting the job.

magali_c
    January 29, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Best of luck for your new job & life in general! πŸ™‚

bluntedges
    January 29, 2010 at 6:09 pm

a ‘before’ n ‘after’ snap? are u trying 2 sell yourself as a ‘cleaner’? πŸ˜‰

cool 5-year breakdowns those…n is it just a coincidence or do u plan them? (yeah i know its a stupid qsn…don’t bother answering) πŸ˜‰

Matthew Parker
    January 29, 2010 at 6:10 pm

My My My … I have not been to your blog lately !! Apologies ….

And Yaaayyy on the new comment system….I was meaning to tell you to adopt Disqus or the IntenseDebtae one when I saw you your comment at Nu’s place…

All the very merry best for the new job.You do know that you are a wonderful person right? So you’ll do great in the next chapter of your life!

Look at the first pic ! And you think about how to tell your roommate about keeping the unit clean ? lol just kidding … the second pic looks lovely and great ! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Take care and Enjoy !

Have fun PB !!

sidthegnome
    January 29, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Aah, bless Psych – good luck with the new job. Sorry I haven’t been about for a while, hope things are ok in general.

comfortablynam
    January 29, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I understand the trepidation PB, but I bet you will have adjusted in a couple of weeks and writing about all the good things that are happening at the new job.

Change is difficult for all of us..but inevitable in life..so we just have to chin up and take it..and you are doing a great job at it. You have made decisions that are right for you..and I am positive things will work out just as you hoped for.

Richa
    January 29, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Changes are always hard to go through. Don’t worry you will get through it too. Don’t worry about the co-workers. Statistically, they should be statistical sample of human species, meaning some will be good, some won’t be as good. you will make friends with good ones and stay clear of bad ones…but I think the latter group is the one that will provide you with the material for the blog so they will also have their use… πŸ˜›

January 29, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Yes Nu — YOU ARE FIRST!!!! =)

January 29, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Thanks for the good wishes Nu…

January 29, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Oh moving out of my comfort zone is hard!!! I reckon I could be one of those people who if I found a great job with great people, would probably stay there for 10-20 years! =P And the desk does look amazing, eh?? (If I may say so myself…)

January 29, 2010 at 9:34 pm

You’ve got another couple of years to go…I’m sure you’ll be here!! You seem to want it badly enough to make it happen… wish you all the love and luck to get here!! =) And thanks for the wishes…

January 29, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Yes G…new comment form. With this, there’s no need for people to migrate to WP! =D I hope you are right re what you are going to read here in a couple of months…

January 29, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Thanks Jess!! =)

January 29, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Thanks Titaxy! I’m sure you felt the same way starting under a new director this year….hope you have an amazing weekend too!

January 29, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Thanks Mags!! =)

January 29, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Haha!! I bet I could easily get a job as a cleaner… =P In fact, funnily enough on me last day at work, after shredding heaps of paper, I had made a mess on the floor and felt bad about leaving it for the cleaner so I vaccumed it myself…and the cleaner told me if I didn’t like my new job, he could always get me a part-time one as a cleaner! =P Got me thinking though…more money??

And the 5 year breakdowns…even though you told me not to answer…definitely coincidences but interesting isn’t it? I only just realised it when I was reflecting on things recently…

January 29, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Yes Matt…I’ve been feeling rejected with your absence on my space! =(

Just kidding…

Yes, I’m loving the new comment system…I realised that it was the only thing missing in blogger — threaded comments. Oh and emoticons. And got the idea from another blogger blog and voila!

Thanks for the wishes…and lol at “you do know you are a wonderful person” =P Thank you….

Okay…now about the desk…I knew I should have clarified in the post…the rest of the house is clean as…I accumulate my mess to one spot generally…and it happened to be my desk…which by the way, guests will not necessarily see. Flatmate on the other hand has things on the floor of her room as well as messes up the kitchen and living areas. Having said that, she vaccumed yesterday for the first time since living here!!! I was in shock! But me cleaning my room might have had something to do with it. πŸ˜‰

January 29, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Thanks Kirby! Hope you are well…

January 29, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Yep…change is the only constant (as I continue telling myself =) Thanks for the words of encouragement Comfy…

January 29, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Lol at latter group being able to provide material for blogging! =D

Thanks for the encouragement Richa!!

kellyansapansa
    January 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Wow – the very best of luck with your new chapter. That’s a lot of change to deal with all at once, but I have no doubt you will hit the ground running in your new job and this will be a fabulous year for you.

shahid
    January 30, 2010 at 2:42 am

All the best for a new beginning girl…and you were very right about the work environment…the ppl who work along with you are very important…have a gr8 weekend

Caitlyn Nicholas
    January 30, 2010 at 3:07 am

Nice clean up job πŸ™‚ and Good Luck with the new chapter πŸ™‚

Nu
    January 30, 2010 at 3:12 am

WTF !! YAY πŸ™‚ So finally I managed to climb and claim here πŸ˜‰

January 30, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Thanks Kelly! =)

January 30, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Thank you Shahid….and I guess you have experienced both sides of the coin in terms of people you work with??

January 30, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Hehe…thanks! I really could get a job as a cleaner! And thanks for the best wishes… =)

January 30, 2010 at 9:38 pm

You’ve claimed here before as well…when I first used the new comment system! Go girl! =)

bookslifenmore
    February 2, 2010 at 4:02 am

I can relate to that!!! It is 7 years and am still with my first employer πŸ˜‰

theketchupgirl
    February 8, 2010 at 9:20 pm

yo babe, all the very best!! And i am like dying to know, which suburb? πŸ˜€

ani_aset
    February 20, 2010 at 5:21 am

i read this “My main worry though is my social anxiety. I have overcome it big time but I am still very anxious when I meet new people and tend not to say much…to the point where I can be perceived as being arrogant. I guess time will tell.” and i said to myself, shit that is so me..It happens to me all the time, people come up to me after 2-3 months and tell me, “we always thought you were an arrogant person, but thats so not true” how do i get over with PB :(.

Same is about adjustment, i just hate moving or changing things. But i too have adjusted pretty well as i look back :)…stay happy PB πŸ™‚

September 16, 2010 at 2:04 am

Lol…well, it’s true. I don’t believe in after life…so not a chapter there…

September 16, 2010 at 2:04 am

Thanks KG…hehe…which suburb…will email it to you

Organised religion and why it bothers me - Living my Imperfect Life
    August 19, 2017 at 5:09 pm

[…] contacting them for feedback after they sent a letter saying they had more applicants. I got a job within the health system instead and was quite happy with that as it was going to be a great learning experience. In the […]