Life lessons

Helping Others…

This week’s Topsites Tuesday on BlogDumps is:

Helping Others: Do we do enough? Should we do more?
With natural Disasters like the tsunami in the Indian Ocean, the hurricane in Louisiana, and the earthquake Haiti, are we doing enough to help other people? In our daily lives we all seem to have our own natural disasters – does that prevent for helping others?

My take on this might be a bit different…I’m not sure. But please bear with me.

I know the topic seems to refer specifically to natural disasters and I guess in terms of how we help in these situations would be monetary or through food, shelter and the basic needs. I know countries as a whole try and do something in these cases…especially the more fortunate countries.

As far as individuals go, I guess not all of us do enough but as selfish as it may sound, despite having four walls and a roof over our heads, some of us may still have our own problems to deal with. We are all probably thinking about the next electricity bill or the next mortgage repayment and pretty much how to make ends meet for our own families…and this to and extent, prevents us from lending financial support to victims of these disasters. It doesn’t necessarily mean we don’t care.

I would however like to see human beings helping others not just in the time of natural disasters like these. And not necessarily through monetary means.

How many of us help an elderly lady cross the road?

Or help a mother with a baby in the pram get it off the train?

Or give up a seat on the bus or train for a pregnant woman? Or an elderly person?

Or hold the door open for someone who has too many things in their hand?

Or stop and help that person with a flat tyre or battery pulled over on the side of the road?

Or spend time listening to the troubles of a friend despite the chores waiting for us?

Or spare that dollar for a teenager that wants to use the payphone?

Or exchange a few words with the lonely gentleman at the checkout line?

Or take the time to show someone the way to get to a particular place?

Or smile at the person who looks like they are having a shit day?

So yeah, it would be great if we could all give money or food or aid to the victims of these natural disasters. But why just leave it at that?

Why can’t we strive to help people out every single day in a small way? A smile. A pat on the back. A helping hand. A shoulder to lean on.

I’m sure we will be making a difference even then.

Mind you, I’m not saying I do all of this…I try…but I too get caught up in my daily routine that I forget. But on the few occassions that I do it, or that someone else helps me out, I know just what a difference it can make.

Try it.

It doesn’t cost much.

Come Join Top Sites Tuesday and be #1 on BlogDumps!

The purpose of this Meme is to encourage
Networking between bloggers to have fun while doing it!
Make sure to visit all the other participants and leave comments
View More Top Sites Tuesday Participants on Technorati here.
See who Tweeted this Post!

G
    January 19, 2010 at 10:11 am

Whenever I help an old lady cross the road or something similar it makes my day! πŸ™‚
    Anyway, I too believe that small things make a difference. And more than monetary help giving your time to someone is the best help.
    Though we have become really busy nowadays to commit that. So the general tendency is to give monetary help and feel less guilty. πŸ™‚

Pete's Quiz
    January 19, 2010 at 10:20 am

Now there’s a list of things I CAN do! I do try to do all of these, but often fail! usually because I’m not thinking, just getting on with life!

I would give you my click, but you’ve forgotten to put the button on your post! (LOL – we’ve all done it!!)

Cheers,
    Pete

January 19, 2010 at 10:26 am

@ G: Yeah…giving our time probably has more of an effect. And we feel good too when we help someone in a small way as you said…

@ Pete: I’m with you…I start some days thinking “I’m going to try and do one really nice thing today” but by the time I’m out of the house, I’ve forgotten because I’ve been thinking about a zillion other work related things! And totally forgot about the button but it’s up now! πŸ˜›

Trina
    January 19, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I love your list of things that are not impossible to do daily. I always appreciate it when someone holds the door for me. You are right there are so many things that we can do – small and large – to help people and to make a difference.

Clicks!
    –Trina

Nu
    January 19, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I have done 2,3,4,6 and 10 as of now πŸ™‚ Sure helping in the minutest form is also so much of importance to the needy..then be it a wide smile πŸ™‚

On the major helps..one can only help when one is all settled in terms of family,monetarily,stability and health!

Shahid Mukadam
    January 19, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I totally agree…life is abt simple pleasures…u cannot ask a road side vendor to say wether he wants an armani or any piece of cloth, for him tht one moment of acknowledgment is the way of life….
    gr8 thought

Shahid

Matt
    January 19, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Thought provoking.

Whenever I do these little things you mentioned and I get a smile or a “Thank you” from them,it makes my day!The satisfaction is beyond words πŸ™‚

Btw I am taking a printout of the points you jotted.Hope you don’t mind.

Cheers

AngelBaby
    January 19, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Great post, I loved it. I try to do all of these things everyday including saying something nice to every person I see. It is amazing how you can see the effect on everyone around. Wonderful.

Here’s your click ……….

Love and Blessings,
    AngelBaby

PNA
    January 19, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Small acts of kindness which comes naturally become wonderful deeds, like we shd automatically get up if a pregnant woman or an elderly person gets into a bus/train. similar helping somebody crossing the road and all u have mentioned. But these days, these instincts have taken a backseat and there are many who have become too selfish to not to care! Difficult, I wonder where their conscience is, maybe buried deep inside their self love!! It’s part of our rearing, to be inculcated from younger days… helping others also begins at home like Honesty.

tk PB

Magali
    January 19, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I am a college student so I’m mostly short of money πŸ˜‰
    But I try to do the same sort of stuff, I must say it makes me quite happy πŸ™‚
    I will never forget the day about 4 years ago Mom & me had to go to Virar, we got separated while boarding the train, I got in, she didn’t. I was really worried & I didn’t have any money or my cell phone with me. It took me about half an hour to muster the courage (& swallow my pride) to ask her for one buck to use a payphone when I get there. She obliged & gave me 10 bucks (said she didn’t have change) I don’t think I’ll ever forget that, & I hope I can always help anyone who was in a situation like me.
    You shouldn’t feel guilty if you’re a little cash strapped like tons of us! It’s good that you’re doing your part in small ways.

Haddock
    January 19, 2010 at 4:41 pm

The last line says it all…….it does not cost anything.

January 19, 2010 at 5:28 pm

yupe..the little things we do for others makes so much difference…i can’t say i do a lot to make difference, to help others, but yes, i do try whenever i can…and it makes me happy too whenever i help someone πŸ™‚

Richa
    January 19, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Honestly, all these things that you listed here are my second nature. They are my automatic response that I have to control sometime.

There is a lesson that I have learnt after coming to US: People don’t always want help and often get annoyed or suspicious of your intentions, if you help them. And at times, you might even get a racist look/reaction from them. So ever since landing here, I have learned to curb my instincts to reach out and help people. Though I still ask people if they need help or if I can help them, in case I am in one of these situations. I can’t help it..

Wolfbernz
    January 20, 2010 at 2:18 am

You are right, simple things that we can do to help people everyday and make a difference. While helping with bigger problems like the disaster in Haiti seems to take a country sized effort.

Clicks!
    Wolf

crystaldewdrops
    January 20, 2010 at 5:59 am

So true, beautiful post PB :)!! Why wait for occassions and rather extend our support, help and love in whatever ways we can since there’z so much suffering in and around us that somewhere am sure our gesture would calm some needy soul..and we all should strive to make this world a better place through small deeds like these!!

Wonderful πŸ™‚

G
    January 20, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Wow I was first! πŸ™‚

January 20, 2010 at 4:22 pm

i posted a comment here…did you not get it? πŸ™

blunt edges
    January 20, 2010 at 4:41 pm

looks pretty easy doesn’t it? have no clue why on earth we don’t do it!

Antarman
    January 21, 2010 at 6:09 am

Exactly the way I think..though sometime my family thinks I am going overboard..but i also like to do all these things, except giving my seat, because I cant stand in a bus.

oldereyes
    January 21, 2010 at 6:31 am

Nice post. Heal the world from the ground up.

Bud aka Older Eyes

comfortablynam
    January 22, 2010 at 7:01 am

The little things are the ones that make the most impact..And the big smiles that you get in return stays with you for a real long time.

Swaram
    January 22, 2010 at 8:02 am

U r so rt … little things they seem but r so important πŸ™‚ I do try to do them most of the time .. giving seat, help with crossing roads, keeping doors open .. it almost immediate response to stimulus πŸ™‚

Liked the point abt giving time along with the chores we have πŸ™‚

January 24, 2010 at 4:31 am

Thanks! And yes, I do like it if someone holds the door for me or lets me pass through first…small things like that… πŸ™‚

January 24, 2010 at 4:32 am

Exactly! I would have no issues helping monetarily if I wasn’t so stressed with my own finances. And again, while we are all grateful for what we have, it doesn’t mean we are not struggling ourselves…and therefore, by helping in small ways and giving our time, we could be doing a lot more!

January 24, 2010 at 4:33 am

Yes you were! πŸ˜€

January 24, 2010 at 4:46 am

Very well put! πŸ™‚

January 24, 2010 at 4:46 am

Don’t mind at all re the print out! πŸ™‚ And yes, we feel a great sense of satisfaction too don’t we? It’s good for our own mental health… πŸ™‚

January 24, 2010 at 4:47 am

Oh…the saying something nice! I tried that but failed miserably…I’m not very good at giving or taking compliments…so unless I really, really, really mean it I can’t do it. Not even…your dress is nice!

January 24, 2010 at 4:52 am

πŸ™‚

January 24, 2010 at 4:53 am

I can’t say I do much either…but as long as we make an attempt…it should be good… πŸ™‚

January 24, 2010 at 4:54 am

You are right about it starting from home. So few kids these days give their seats up for a pregnant woman or the elderly. We are all too narcissistic and involved in our own lives…that’s the problem. (Btw, I’m not a saint…but just saying!)

January 24, 2010 at 5:08 am

That’s a really nice story…thanks for sharing! Reinforces faith in humanity as I say!

January 24, 2010 at 5:09 am

That’s so good Richa! Y’know, I have given up seats here or helped some people of different cultures and so far haven’t landed in trouble. But I know what you mean about a weird look/reaction from people…I think people are just not used to someone helping them out for nothing in return!

January 24, 2010 at 5:10 am

Yeah…countries or celebrities or individuals with a lot of money can definitely afford to help out when it comes to major natural disasters. I would if I had a lot of money… I wish! :p

January 24, 2010 at 5:10 am

Thanks Dew! πŸ™‚ Your words were amazing!!

January 24, 2010 at 5:11 am

It took me a day to publish all the comments…been slack during the week! :p As you can see, I’m responding on a Sunday after most comments were on Tuesday.

January 24, 2010 at 5:11 am

Oh…I think we don’t do it because of the usual excuse — we are so caught up in our own lives, we have ‘no time’!

January 24, 2010 at 5:16 am

Good on you for doing this!! πŸ™‚

January 24, 2010 at 5:17 am

Very aptly put!

January 24, 2010 at 5:17 am

You are so right! That feeling of satisfaction and the fact that you’ve done something for someone else…makes you feel a whole lot good and is hard to forget!

January 24, 2010 at 5:18 am

Welcome to the blog Swaram! πŸ™‚ Yeah I think some things most of us do…but nowadays with people getting more and more self-involved, it’s going to be rare and rarer still in future…at least that’s what I think…

September 16, 2010 at 2:03 am