Books

My Kryptonite

Most of us know that kryptonite was the only thing that was detrimental to Superman. Yesterday I figured out mine. Sort of.

I went with a friend to Dymocks to purchase a book as I had been gifted a giftcard by another lovely friend. Anyway, I ended up buying a couple of books (‘The Book Thief‘ and ‘To Kill a Mockingbird‘) with the gift card. You’d think I would be satisfied. But nope. We then went to Angus & Robertson and I ended up buying another book (‘Atonement‘) and would have bought a couple more if I hadn’t literally run out of cash! [I stopped myself from using EFTPOS but it was a challenge!!]

Bookstores are my kryptonite. Or rather, they are for my bank account.

I can go to dozens of clothing or shoe stores but unlike most women, will stop myself from buying clothes or shoes I don’t need.  Same with groceries or kitchenware (I love kitchenware and homeware stuff)

But with books, it’s a different story. I bought ‘To Kill a Mockingbird‘ which I have read in the past just because I really wanted to own it! And there are some more of such books I intend on buying. At the moment I have 9 books that I have bought in the last month and a half that that are sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I’m currently reading ‘In Cold Blood‘ for my book club meetup in February. I love to own books and unfortunately, prefer my favourite ones first-hand rather than second-hand. I think that’s because I do re-read a lot of my books and like to leave my own mark on them. Literally.

I think, given my partial unemployment till the end of the month, the best thing for me would be to AVOID book stores. And then, come mid-February, I can go back and not abstain any more!

So what’s your kryptonite??

January 3, 2010 at 4:13 am

same same same with me :D…i can go to the mall, but get bored of looking at store after store of clothing and stuff…i buy clothing only when i abslutely need something…otherwise, i hate going shopping for that…dont have fun grocery shopping either…

but bookstore is where my weakness lies 😀 i bought some 10 books few weeks ago..some that i’ve read, but just wanted to own a copy of my own…and i like to own new books too :P..my very own so i can spoil it the way i want..

sigh, did i write a post here? :D…i can so relate to whatever you’ve written…so don’t mind me hogging your space…all i want to say is “ditto – word to word” 😀

perplexed
    January 3, 2010 at 4:26 am

hehe! Mine is shoes. period. I can’t resist!! actually there are quite a few: shoes, clothes, bangles(huge fetish), books, stationary, bags, coffee mugs – in that order 🙂

Ms Smack
    January 3, 2010 at 6:00 am

oh mine is the same as yours, and homewares LOL.

I stole my designated copy of Mockingbird when we had to read it in 1989 for Senior year. I figure any librarian that realises it’s missing will be glad someone has such a sensational book!

I also love Atonement. My local Video Ezy often has book/dvd matching packs for sale for a cheap price! Worth checking it out if you’re a collector of good books!

🙂

Madmother
    January 3, 2010 at 6:47 am

You are asking a woman with 15 large bookcases in her home what her weakness is?

Well, truthfully they are not ALL mine – we are a family of bibliophibes, lol.

Magali
    January 3, 2010 at 7:27 am

OMG. I am pretty much the same! For me it’s books & gadgets. I can spend hours at Crossword here.
    Now I have at least half a dozen books waiting to be read. But I can’t read them at the moment as I have other more pressing stuff to do.

Shahid Mukadam
    January 3, 2010 at 7:32 am

Well first of aLL happy New year….I have multiple kryptonites…footbal, manutd, books to an extent…I dont think I will make a good superman will I?

Melissa
    January 3, 2010 at 7:51 am

Mine is the same. I have recently been given a gift card and I’m also buying To Kill A Mockingbird. I’ve read it several times, but it feels like a book one should actually own. It’s just too important not to, if you know what I mean.

Vicki
    January 3, 2010 at 9:40 am

Junk shops are my Kryptonite!

Clarissa
    January 3, 2010 at 9:56 am

Haha. Mine is also the same. I currently have about 20 brand new unread books waiting to be read. And the books you listed in your post I own and have read!I enjoyed them all. I am currently reading Wolf Hall. I currently have $150 worth of book vouchers 🙂 🙂 And in an attempt to divert myself from buying myself books…i recently bought my boyfriend 14 books as a present!

Matt
    January 3, 2010 at 11:12 am

For me no kryptonite whatsoever!
    Then I guess I am invincible 😛

Yaay! 🙂

Reema
    January 3, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Clothes are my kryptonite!!!

MilesPerHour
    January 3, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Well, alcohol is mine if I want to respond seriously.

Jessica
    January 4, 2010 at 2:19 am

Can a person be considered, cause if so I have one that is totally mine!?

Smita
    January 4, 2010 at 4:09 am

Do I really need to say it?? hehehe
    Books! Books! Books!& Books!

Last year, armed with a voucher of 1000 Rs I went to crossword. I came out with books worth 1500 😀

I have so so so many unread books but still can’t stop myself from buying. Sometimes I even think of giving away some proper fiction but not done that yet!!! 🙁

Renu
    January 4, 2010 at 4:10 am

I can go to dozens of clothing or shoe stores but unlike most women, will stop myself from buying clothes or shoes I don’t need. Same with groceries or kitchenware (I love kitchenware and homeware stuff)..same here..and I read so many books that cant even rememebr their names:)

NesQuarX
    January 4, 2010 at 6:40 am

Thank hell I’m okay with e-books, or my bibliophilia would have bankrupted me long ago. Are you one of those ‘I need the book in my hands’ person, psych?

January 4, 2010 at 11:44 am

@ Titaxy: Haha…you are more than welcome to write an entire post in the comments! 🙂 I had a feeling we’d be on the same page… 🙂

@ Perplexed: Shoes…ah! I understand stationary…it used to be my weakness when I was in India. Finances here made me stop when I was studying and now I have lost the enthusiasm I had.

@ Ms Smack: Homewares are nice too, eh? I love looking at them but fortunately, don’t end up spending on all that fascinates me. Btw, my Video Ezy doesn’t have books like yours does. 🙁 And I had to lol @ you stealing the book from the library…

@ MM: Oh! you are living my dream!!! I only have 2 bookcases at the mo and one is for professional books. Most of my books are still overseas at my parents’ place. Someday…someday I’ll have as many bookcases and hopefully a whole room dedicated to them!!

@ Mags: Hehe…nice…totally understand!!

@ Shahid: Happy New Year to you too! And lol at the number of kryptonites… 😛

@ Melissa: I so know what you mean!! It’s just important to have it as your own. There’s some books you just cannot not own….

@ Vicki: Ooh nice! Are these like the dollar stores or something else?

@ Clarissa: Lol at buying your boyfriend 14 books to curb your own! 😛 I figured though you’d be similar to me…you’ve mentioned it before…

@ Matt: Hmmm…invincible? I think you are in denial 😉 I think we all have our kryptonite…just the same way as in we are all screwed up in some way or the other…and if we say we aren’t, it’s only bcoz we are in denial. 😛

@ Reema: Ahh…I think they would be for majority of women…I know it is for most of my friends in real life…

@ MPH: It can be mine every now and then… 🙂 Hope it’s not too detrimental tho for you…

@ Jessica: I guess they can….so who is this person, if you don’t mind sharing?? 🙂

@ Smita: Haha…I knew yours would be books!! 😀 There was no doubt whatsoever there…

@ Renu: Welcome! Oh I go thru some phases like that…not remembering the names of some books but I try and remember most…

@ Nesquarx: Oh yes…I’m one of those people that needs my book in my hand! I cannot read e-books. In fact, through uni, I would have to print off journal articles rather than read the pdf format.

Matt Parker
    January 4, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Oh who am i kidding!It is Psych Babbler I am talking to! 🙂 Btw isn’t there a teeny tiny possibility that I’m perfect and best in every possible way? 😛

Ric
    January 12, 2011 at 10:35 am

yep just picked up a random scifi book online from Emporiumbooks as the blurb and the jacket cover looked enticing by Anderson called The saga of the seven suns. Lots of hitech and aliens. I didn’t realise that it is the same co-author of the famous Dune series. I got hooked and couldn’t put it done. Finished it in a day and then went online again and bought the rest of the series! Ric Ah so addictive.

January 13, 2011 at 8:27 am

Welcome Ric! Interesting website you have mentioned…will keep it in mind. I haven’t been into scifi but I can understand totally what you mean when you say you read one book by the author or one book of the series and get hooked. Done that so many times 🙂