Life lessons

Cryptic? I thought not

Hmm…after reading the comments to my previous post ‘Just Like You…‘, I realised that it may have been more cryptic than I had intended it to be. I guess I thought after seeing the label on the post, people may have figured it out. But I guess not everyone reads labels. =P

Let me uncomplicate things now.

The ‘you’ in the post is my dad.

Yes, I wrote the post because every day, I realise that I am becoming more and more like him. I’m doing things I used to in fact not like about him. For instance, for years, mum, my sis and I would tell him there was no point in swearing at other drivers from inside the car since there was no one else to hear it. Guess what? I’m doing exactly that! I remember how I thought he was so old-fashioned when he would question the point of spending money on those jeans with holes that came into fashion when I was a teenager (I never did buy them but was fascinated back then!) But now, I wonder about clothes with holes myself and the point of spending all that money.

It’s funny how as children we dislike a lot of things in our parents. Our worst fear is probably to become like them. But a year or so ago, I had one of those Joey-Rachel moments in friends: Oh-my-god-I’m-exactly-like-my-dad-when-I-thought-I-was-actually-turning-out-to-be-mum!

But I’m at an age when I don’t think it’s all bad. I’m still like mum when it comes to my anxiety, mind you. But never once did I dream I’d be like dad (especially because dad and I didn’t really get along when I was a teenager)

Funny how things turn out! =)

Speaking of “funny how things turn out”, on a different note — don’t you aboslutely loathe it when your dream job is advertised just 2 months into your new job (which isn’t really turning out to be what you had hoped) and you feel so annoyed that you cannot apply for fear of pissing off so many people?!

Sigh.

Have a good weekend!

March 25, 2010 at 8:49 am

πŸ™‚ I saw the label, I assumed you were talking about either Mom or Dad even before I saw the label. πŸ˜€ Anyway.

It’s bad that your new job isn’t turning out to be what you wanted. I guess there isn’t much you can do now πŸ™ Oh well, don’t worry…hope things get better.

March 25, 2010 at 8:50 am

Hehe…not sure how many others did! =) And thanks re the job…it’s not as challenging as I’d hoped and one part of the job which had appealed to me when I had applied…well, it may not come into play at all! I think I’ll give it a year and if there’s no change and no challenge, will probably have to start looking elsewhere. At least I can say it’s not as challenging as I’d hoped with more justification after a year than after 2 months.

ani_aset
    March 25, 2010 at 10:43 am

arey go apply πŸ™‚ after all its a dream job πŸ˜€

harini
    March 25, 2010 at 10:46 am

I actually thought ‘you’ was your mom :P. I guess I am one of those who reads even the labels of a post. Oh, i dint comment their but I am exactly like you in some points :). There is nothing much you can do about the job now right? Hope to cya around :).

bookslifenmore
    March 25, 2010 at 10:49 am

Hmmm We don’t even know and slowly start following what are parents used to do and what we used to loath πŸ™‚

As far as job is concerned sigh! I feel grass always greener the other side πŸ™‚

amy888
    March 25, 2010 at 11:16 am

You know what ? I’m so much like my dad personality-wise that we could be mistaken for the same person on paper – and thats cool, because my dad is great. I’ve always been like him and to be honest i’ve never really wanted to be any other way….

Magali
    March 25, 2010 at 1:31 pm

EXACTLY! Same things happens with me, I see myself becoming like mom & dad, especially with certain traits that I despised in them!

perplexed
    March 25, 2010 at 4:02 pm

better piss off others than piss yourself off?? Just a thought..
    God I hope I don’t turn out to be like my mom!!!!!!!!!! That would be a disaster.. Love her but would never want to be like her!

bluntedges
    March 26, 2010 at 5:40 am

aha aha…even i didn’t check the label!

March 26, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I’m too worried about repercussions if my current manager finds out…and if I don’t get the job. Things will be verrrry uncomfortable.

March 26, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Ah…ok…so you were one of the few that got the message of the post. Would like to know how you are similar…

March 26, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I know!!! It’s funny how that turns out doesn’t it?

I agree…I guess there’s no guarantee that the other job will be great but at the moment on paper it looks amazing. Sigh.

March 26, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Hehe…well, I remember I didn’t mind being like my mum in some ways but never wanted to be like my dad….but have no regrets now! πŸ˜›

March 26, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Hehe….it’s like life is playing a joke on us…when we are young we complain about things in our parents and then voila…we are like them! πŸ˜›

March 26, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Hmm…good point there re pissing others off. But…what if those others can be influential in your professional field and are well known in the health service (which is where I’m working and where the other job is as well)

Lol at hoping you don’t turn out to be like your mum…be careful…you may be trying so hard to not be her, you may end up like her!

March 26, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Hehe…no worries…I realised people don’t do it often…

Gyanban
    March 27, 2010 at 1:28 am

As they what goes around comes around ! πŸ™‚

March 27, 2010 at 4:29 am

Lol! Karma can be a bitch…:P