Life

Control Freaks

What is a control freak? According to the Free Dictionary:

One who has an obsessive need to exert control over people and situations.

I do refer to myself as a Control Freak. But I realise based on the definition I am not really one. It’s mainly situations I want to control not necessarily people. I am flexible to a certain extent when it comes to people and whilst I would prefer they did things my way, I understand that not everyone is perfect 😉

Anyway, I am not writing this post solely about whether or not I am a control freak.

As most of you know,  I started a new job earlier this year. Parts of the job are great, parts not so much. The part that is not so great, involves a great deal of scrutiny from peers. Yep. Not managers but colleagues. And I am not liking that too much. And while it may have been fine, there are some people that are total and complete control freaks. They fit the definition to a t. And that just makes my role harder. The role I have undertaken involves something they did for years which has now been handed over to me. Thus, while the workload for these individuals has reduced, it also means a loss of control over the kind of clients they get to see, the time they are referred and the information they receive initially.

And the control freaks are so not coping well. They are complaining about every single thing. And you can tell it’s them not me because most of the others are fine with giving up that control and haven’t complained one bit! The change in the system is hard for them to take. They call for the silliest of things. And then don’t call for the important ones. They seem to be a confused bunch wanting that control and yet not wanting the extra work. Whilst I have no problem being told (in a nice way) what needs to be done, I am not particularly fond of being ordered around by colleagues. Managers would be different. I have had to do things with control freaks before. Like group work. And now I remember again how much I hated that!

I guess on the bright side, the control freaks are the minority at work. But they don’t make life easy for others.

So how about the rest of you?

Any of you control freaks?

Anyone had any interesting stories or encounters with control freaks?

Do share

Being a bit of one myself, I am not sure how long I will last in this position if I want to keep my sanity.

sidthegnome
    May 20, 2010 at 7:12 am

I’ve always considered myself a control freak, but actually according to that definition I’m not.

As for your colleagues, they’re just jealous of you. I know that doesn’t help you in your day to day dealings with them but I get it’s true. I have no doubt your superiors will be happy with your work and they are the ones who matter, right? I’ll bet they’ll support you if things get out of hand with the colleagues as well.

I have had similar things at work and I always say to myself “If they’re shooting at you, you must be doing something right”.

It helps.

Lazy Pineapple
    May 20, 2010 at 7:53 am

hmmm I have come across people like that even in my personal life. After marriage I faced this at my in-laws place. It bugs me to no limit when someone thinks I have a rock instead of a brain.

But in personal relations you have to downplay your anger so it did build up a lot of frustration which took some time to go away.
    At work place, most Indian bosses are extreme control freaks…

May 20, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I’m not a control freak, not at all. But, yes, I have come across such souls…not so much at work, so that’s a relief. I can imagine how hard it must be for you if and when these people don’t even consider how much a pain it’s for you when they breathe down your neck. Well, I hope things change…if at all that’s possible. Good luck to you, dear!

bluntedges
    May 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm

na…not a control freak but certainly know quite a few people like that, though none of them blogs under the name psych babbler 😉

Sam Liu
    May 20, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Am I a control freak? Mmm…not overtly, but if I have a vision for something, come hell or high water, I am going to make it a reality. I suppose I’m quite good at bringing people round to my view of things, I think persuasive is the term, the nice term anyway 😀

shahid
    May 21, 2010 at 6:47 am

These kind of people are born everyday…coz everyone has his own kind of insecurities …I guess I am not any kind of a control freak…i love discussing stuff before taking an action so that everyone feels they have contributed to the task!!!

starry eyed
    May 26, 2010 at 6:35 am

I am a control freak, and working on it…just that I do feel it’s a two-way thing. When you have a partner/employee who is too passive and absent in every way, the control-freakiness rears its ugly head.

But I have met a super control freak and worked with her for 3 years….OMG, she would qualify for narcissistic…just railroaded over everyone;s feelings to get her way innumerable times. And no one would support me in standing up to her.

My husband has started standing up to my controlling methods…and boy do I back off!!!

Reema
    July 11, 2010 at 6:34 am

I am a wee bit of control freak and a perfectionist 🙂 so people working under me do have a hard time 🙁

July 11, 2010 at 8:09 am