Life

Time to say Goodbye…

…to my flatmate.

Did I make you guys think I was saying good bye to the blogosphere??? =)

Anyway, I finally gave the flatmate notice. You know about some of the behaviours I had complained about? The not cleaning up when spilling things, not helping out with the cleaning of the house and having the boyfriend over often? Well, I had spoken to her about it as you all know. And while things changed for a while, I noticed she would start re-engaging in those behaviours again.

For instance, after talking about sharing the vaccuuming (each doing it once a month) she did it once. And that was it. And there was still tea or pasta sauce I would find dried up on the kitchen bench. And her starting to talk a lot more about religion and about how god made our cells. And then the last couple of weeks, the boyfriend started coming over more than just the couple of times agreed upon.

And I lost it.

Something snapped in my brain. What with work stress and all. And not much change in 7 months. I bit the bullet and on Friday I gave her notice and told her that a friend was going to move in. [Because I am still a bit chicken] I gave her three weeks’ notice, apologised for springing it on her and said I could help out.

And then this evening, she left me a message saying things worked out easily for her and she can move out the coming Saturday. So I might have the place to myself for a while until I find someone new.

This time around, I am going to have to be more careful and set ground rules right from the beginning! At least I have learnt something from that.

And now to just hope I don’t end up with a psycho! =P

Shilpa
    May 23, 2010 at 10:45 am

so true such flat mates can really get on your nerves….I have had some bitter experiences myself in hostel life 🙂

May 23, 2010 at 11:24 am

It’s really hard isn’t it? I remember wishing I could actually get potential flatmates to fill out a psychological personality test to suss them out! 😛 But I don’t think that would be legal…

BlueMist
    May 23, 2010 at 12:13 pm

A good flat mate is such a rare find. Enjoy having the place yourself PB. 🙂

bluntedges
    May 23, 2010 at 12:59 pm

congrats lady!
    n yup your post header did catch me off guard! 😉

May 23, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Oh finally. I’m so glad PB. I’m sure things will work out and you will find a better flatmate. Good luck with the search, dear.

Varsh
    May 23, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I couldn’t be happier for you…I actually wondered how you could put up with all her weird ways..I’d stayed in a hostel during my PG course and had one such roommate…God knows what a hard time I had back then…All the best for a sane…tolerable and helpful flatmate! 🙂

Lazy Pineapple
    May 23, 2010 at 4:43 pm

oh gosh..sharing house/room with someone who is a slob is so painful…
    Ughh I have had my share of awful experiences…am glad you asked her to go…

All the best and hope you get a great flatmate 🙂

Bonnie
    May 23, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Hello Psych Babbler. I’m just getting ’round to visiting NetworkedBlogs. You’re at the top of my list. I had a feeling I was going to enjoy your posts. You handled he situation very well darlin’ (southerner/SC). I especially like the insert [Because I am still a bit chicken] (chuckling). Yes, I’ve been there as well, so I can relate to your emotions. Lovely post, I look forward to reading more from the “past” posts and future. Have a lovely day. Bonnie

Bonnie
    May 23, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Hello Psych Babbler. I loved your post – your honesty; especially, [Because I am still a bit chicken]. Although I’m in my sixties, I can remember incidents on a weekly basis when I find myself in similar situations. I fight with the guilt still after all these years, but now it’s only a “second.” I’m so proud of you for doing what was right in this particular incident.

I just started a new blog (the 5th one), so I’m just now getting ’round to visiting everyone. I’m a serious blogger – love to write. Sometime, stop by and visit me at my blog.

Sam Liu
    May 23, 2010 at 7:47 pm

At least the ordeal is over now. I don’t know how you coped, I could not possibly endure living with someone like that – it is a testament to your metal strength that you were able to 😀

I hope your next flatmate isn’t quite so irritating 🙂

SaroSena
    May 24, 2010 at 2:21 am

Flatmates are sooo much drama. Maybe you should ask them for references from previous flat mates, as a joke and see how they react to it.

VeniceRowe
    May 24, 2010 at 9:56 am

Flatmates like your really get on everyone’s nerves… I had a room-mate just like her… our room looked like a garbage dump with her clothes thrown all over the place, plus there was this negative energy in the whole room, I used to stay out as much as I could until I could take it no longer and shifted to another room.

A psychology personality test would be of use though! But then, you may also need a Polygraph too, to cross check the candidate.

Vicki
    May 25, 2010 at 9:30 am

You’re a braver woman than me! Good luck with the new search!

xx

Claudia
    May 25, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Nice blog & good post. You have beautifully maintained it, you must try this website which really helps to increase your traffic. hope u have a wonderful day & awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

May 26, 2010 at 11:40 am

Tell me about it. I can count 2 that have been great in my experience so far. I will enjoy having the house to myself for the next few weeks…until I find someone else…

May 26, 2010 at 11:40 am

Hehe…I knew someone would think it! =D

May 26, 2010 at 11:41 am

This time around I’m much better prepared T. I am definitely going to put down my expectations in terms of cleanliness and guests at the start and if they don’t like it, they don’t have to move in. Expectations of both sides will be discussed at the start! =D

May 26, 2010 at 11:43 am

7 months I put up with her…patience! =P Seriously though, I think I put up with her because she is not a bad person and I worried I would end up with a psycho. Things may be tight for a while financially but I will look carefully this time around…Thanks for the wishes Varsh!

May 26, 2010 at 11:47 am

Tell me about it. This despite asking her to clean up a bit more. Thanks for the best wishes…going to need them I think!

May 26, 2010 at 11:56 am

Welcome Bonnie! Thanks so much for the lovely comment! It’s nice to know that other people have similar anxieties in such situations. Definitely visiting your blog! Keep visiting… =)

May 26, 2010 at 11:57 am

Hehe…I think it’s more of a testament to my anxieties (what if I get a psycho instead) and my finances (can’t go a week without a flatmate!) than my actual mental strength 😉 But yes, it’s over…and hoping the next one I get in is better….

May 26, 2010 at 11:58 am

The thing is when I advertised, I did say I would like people to have references…but then, since this was the first time I did it, when she came in person, I didn’t ask for any! But again, even if I had, the only sharing experience she has had was with her ex boyfriend…and I reckon the dynamics were a lot different…

May 26, 2010 at 11:59 am

Oh thank God I wasn’t sharing a room with her!! I could see her room and she did have clothes and plates and everything all over the place on the floor etc. I’m not a neat freak (my desk is a mess and I have a small table with mess) but I do not strew my clothes on the floor nor do I leave plates in my room! Lol about the polygraph…there are personality tests with lie scales though to catch out those individuals that are lying! 😉

May 26, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Thanks Vicki…going to need it!

May 26, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Welcome Claudia and thanks! =)

Reema
    July 11, 2010 at 6:36 am

hope u get a better flatmate next time!

July 11, 2010 at 8:08 am

Just got a new one actually…so far, seems okay…time will tell!

Bikram
    August 4, 2010 at 10:25 am

came here from the original article , from the new room mate I hope you have better success with the new one ..

GOd create the cells I laughed I am sure GOD did not like the affair things if i am not wrong he hee he I am sure he said against pre marital relations etc etc so i guess in that case rules could be tweaked 🙂

August 4, 2010 at 11:35 am

Hehe…yeah…I think god’s words are tweaked to suit the individual… 😛

Funny Flatmate Stories - Living my Imperfect Life
    August 19, 2017 at 8:35 pm

[…] Crazy religious flatmate: I’ve spoken about my flatmate L previously. She was the one who introduced herself with her religion. Which I have since learnt to […]