Feminism Fodder

A Landmark Event

Today will go down in Australian history as a landmark day.

Julia Gillard.

So it didn’t happen in a manner I’d hoped…with us voting her in. Instead Rudd was ousted by his own party members who wanted Julia Gillard instead.

But it does mean that we get a chance to vote for her as our leader in the coming elections, either at the end of this year or next year. And I for one am excited.

Julia Gillard is definitely going to be a challenge for right-wing Tony Abbott. She is a woman who speaks her mind, is intelligent and articulate. She is a great role model for young women out there. Intelligent. Strong. Independent. Confident.

Let’s see where she takes our country.

Go Gillard! [Not that I’m biased or anything…]

Amy888
    June 24, 2010 at 9:26 am

I’m not happy at all about the way she ended up in the top job, and i think the whole ousting of K-Rudd really takes away from the honor of being the first female PM. I dont think i’ll be voting for her at the election…. from todays events, i’m not sure whether my vote will be for her and her party, or for shady , faceless union bosses who seem to control everything….

June 24, 2010 at 9:41 am

It would have definitely been better had we voted her in. As for Labour, I think they are the lesser of the two evils… =P

The Ketchup Girl
    June 24, 2010 at 11:20 am

but what a way for this to have happened. Its a little unsettling. and I’m feeling terribly sorry for Rudd. Don;’ know why.

ItsNu
    June 24, 2010 at 11:24 am

my reader showed a post called ‘a power of three’ and on reaching here there is something else 🙁

ItsNu
    June 24, 2010 at 11:25 am

I’m glad you’re happy with the decision…Good Luck with Julia..hope she does what is required !

Lazy Pineapple
    June 24, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Hmmm I saw it on the news….she was born in Wales ,UK but then moved to Australia as a child…

June 24, 2010 at 3:12 pm

🙂 Nice!

Sam Liu
    June 24, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Truly an historic day, for Australia and indeed, the whole world. I hope she performs well, and serves her people with strength, dignity and determination. I echo your sentiments, go Gillard! 😀

BreathingSoul
    June 26, 2010 at 10:47 am

First I’d just like to say how happy I am to have found your blog. Love the name, the concept and the fact that you are a fellow Australian-based blogger! I’m on the Gold Coast.

Now, onto politics 🙂 I do like Julia Gillard, but I’m shocked at how we lost our PM in a single day. I agree SO wholeheartedly that Gillard should have and could have been voted in.

Lastly, I’d like to invite you to my blog if you are interested in networking with other bloggers.

June 27, 2010 at 6:49 am

I agree…not a 100% happy with the way it happened. And yes, I do feel sorry for Rudd. To be honest, I don’t think he did much wrong but everyone seemed to make out like he did. I mean, he probably saved us from a recession for crying out loud…unfortunately, he will go down in history for being ousted in his first term when I think he did a lot good and only a few things wrong…

June 27, 2010 at 6:49 am

Accidentally scheduled it at a wrong time Nu…

June 27, 2010 at 6:50 am

I’m happy in that I’m hoping Labour will be voted another term. And well, it’s high time we had a female PM =)

June 27, 2010 at 7:01 am

It is an historical day…and yes, hopefully, her being leader will see Labour enter another term

June 27, 2010 at 7:02 am

It is…except it would have been a lot better had the people voted her in…

June 27, 2010 at 7:02 am

Ah…didn’t know that bit. So it’s made the UK news as well…

June 27, 2010 at 7:38 am

Welcome to my blog BreathingSoul! I do agree with you at being shocked in how Rudd was treated…it was a bit too harsh imo. I don’t think he was a bad PM at all and people conveniently forgot he helped us avoid a recession. I like Gillard but I liked Rudd too and feel sorry for him. But hopefully, with Gillard standing for the next election, Abbott may not win…imagine the horror if he does!!!!

June 27, 2010 at 7:38 am

Oh and I’m hopping over to your blog right away… =)

A W
    June 29, 2010 at 2:01 am

Whatever the reason or background might be, the fact remains Australia has its first female Prime Minister. It is historical time for Oz. Australians shall be proud of it. Good article.

June 30, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Welcome A.W! I don’t think I’ve seen you around here before. Yes, it’s definitely a historical time for us despite the manner in which it occurred…