Life

iRefuse

I am tired of the whole apple invasion. Macbooks, iphones, ipod, ipad…all for what? Seriously, do people really need all of these?

There are always long lines at the launch of one of these. For every version of one of these. To me, it’s just people trying to see who the biggest wank is. Just everyone jumping on the bandwagon. Trying hard to be cool. It’s an adult version of teenage issues. In high school it used to be the cool shoes, the cool pencil cases, the cool clothes. As an adult, it’s the cool iphone, the cool ipod, the cool ipad.

Get. Over. It.

The ads promote the same thing. Not sure if it is world over but in Australia the ad includes a “cool dude” representing the Mac and a “nerd” representing the PC. There is something very arrogant about the ad and to me, it comes across through the products as well. No, it’s not a case of sour grapes. The current ipad is cheaper than my laptop. But it does not appeal to me as much as my laptop did when I bought it a couple of years ago. And the apple products at the technology store do not appeal to me as much as the HP laptops or the Toshibas or Sony Vaios or the humble Nokia phones do.

Do we really need the internet every second of every minute of every day in our lives?

Do we really need to look up the street directions through the internet on the phone or ipad if we are lost?

Do we really need all the ‘apps’ the iphone has? Most of which are a waste of time?

Do we really need to be on facebook to update our statuses that we are driving to work?

I refuse to get sucked in by this commercialisation that we need all the iproducts. I refuse to believe that we need the internet every second. I refuse to organise my meetings on my phone and prefer using my diary, as ancient as it may seem.

So what about you? How many of you are ifanatics? And how many are like me? And how many couldn’t care less?

Do share.

On a different note, this is my 350th post! Can you believe that?ย

Tavish Chadha
    June 22, 2010 at 7:23 am

wow! that was one hell of a post.. well, I haven’t bought any of the apple products yet because I honestly never had the money… well, am glad u choose not addicted to the internet and any of the apple apps… but then some ppl just do it out of the… besides everything new that comes in is a phenomenon… it will die of at some point of time…

Richa
    June 22, 2010 at 7:48 am

I recently joined the “ifanatics” group (bought iPhone). Well, I am not yet addicted to it but yes, it is a useful thing to have with you. For example:

recently I was stuck in a long line at the DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicles) and was getting late for an one-o-one meeting. Thanks to my iPhone I could mail this person (I didn’t have his phone number) and reschedule it.

Or, the time when I decided to go to a movie on a whim in the parking lot of grocery store. Out of the two theaters in vicinity (each 15 min away but in opposite direction) has a movie starting in next half hour and picked that one.

Or, the times when I checked the mail through iPhone in morning and found out that the morning meeting has been canceled and I could sleep in half an hour more.

Or, listening to an audio book while waiting for the doctor over the iphone.

Or, playing scrabble with my friends.

Well, the iPhone etc does have few advantages. Can I live without them? Certainly. Do I need to check internet at every second? No.

Like everything this piece of technology has its advantages and disadvantages. Anything done in extreme is bad including iTechs. But completely resisting the iTechs due to the extreme of overdoing it, is another extreme. Don’t you think?

LadyinRed
    June 22, 2010 at 7:57 am

I HEAR YOU!!!

I couldn’t agree more of it being the adult version of teenage issues. I was fine with Mac products before but now I’m starting to get sick hearing about it. Was watching Oprah today and how she marveled iPad almost made me puke. Honestly! iRefuse too!

Lazy Pineapple
    June 22, 2010 at 7:59 am

So agree with you on all the points…people have gone overboard with this technology thing.
    These days people have less time for actual human interactions..they prefer to do it sitting behind a screen and commenting on people’s status updates and being supportive virtually..rather than in person…this irks me a lot.

Prats
    June 22, 2010 at 8:17 am

I am definitely not an ifanatic ๐Ÿ™‚

Leo
    June 22, 2010 at 8:38 am

no way. ๐Ÿ˜› me dont like iGizmos either..
    no need net 24/7.. other ways to entertain ourselves are there. tv, books, writing, or just talking to friends.. ๐Ÿ™‚

and ya, i can blv that its ur 350th post ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜‰ congratulations!

ItsNu
    June 22, 2010 at 8:57 am

thank god,I was never a fan of it at all ! You’ve a company here ๐Ÿ™‚

Sharmanavi
    June 22, 2010 at 9:15 am

hey , wld say am not too addicted to Fbng and twittering …but on an off would love to update abt what am upto. Agrred to apple league its just the run for the Mr. /ms cool .
    And still love to write my daily schedule in a dairy and is comfortable ..hhehe

June 22, 2010 at 9:34 am

Hehe…I should have said ‘rant alert’. Their products are generally a lot more expensive but the ipad is cheaper than most laptops but I guess that’s because it has a small harddrive and applications compared to your standard lappy. But you are right…everything i is a novelty for people and they are easily sucked in…

June 22, 2010 at 9:49 am

With your examples Richa, before the iregime, it would have been this way:

1. You probably would have had the person’s phone number or would have called someone else at work to get their number. I do that even now because I don’t have internet on my phone.

2. You would have take a chance with either movie theatre and might have had to wait longer at one if that were the case

3. You would have checked your email on the computer

4. You would have carried a book (I could write a whole other post on e-books by the way…another thing I don’t like)

5. Fair enough! =P But you could have had them over for the real thing ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m not being black and white…I’m not saying no to technology…I love my laptop, my internet and my mobile. But I don’t see why we need the internet every single moment like the iproducts seem to show. And people seem to fall for the same. I am perfectly happy checking my mails in the morning before work (provided I’m not running late) and then checking them after work. Work mails I can only check at work because my organisation is such. I prefer carrying an actual book with me than reading ebooks. I guess all I am saying is the way iproducts are marketed, it seems like it’s pushing us to become too dependent on technology. I don’t really need to know everyone’s status on FB every hour =P

June 22, 2010 at 9:50 am

It is the adult version of “who is the coolest” isn’t it? I agree they weren’t that bad before but with something or the other coming out every other month, it’s starting to get really annoying…

June 22, 2010 at 9:51 am

Tell me about it! Most of my friends have an iphone or blackberry and you can see their status updates more often. And I find myself thinking…why??!!! I don’t need to know that you just returned from Melbourne or that you had a great lunch!

June 22, 2010 at 9:51 am

Hehe…that term is copyrighted to me ๐Ÿ˜‰

June 22, 2010 at 9:52 am

Exactly! The ebooks are another gripe of mine…why can’t we actually carry a proper paperback or hardback?? Sigh…

And thanks re the 350th =)

June 22, 2010 at 9:53 am

Same pinch…I’m not against all technology (wouldn’t be blogging if I was!) but the iproducts really irk me…

June 22, 2010 at 9:56 am

Welcome Sharmanavi! Oh I do update my status on FB and twitter every now and then. I’m not completely against technology =) I just find apple trying to make everyone feel they need to get the cool stuff and need to have it every moment. So like you say…it’s for Mr or Ms Cool =) And glad to hear someone else who loves to write their daily schedule in a diary!

Aniruddha pathak
    June 22, 2010 at 12:10 pm

๐Ÿ™‚ you have few good points there and i agree to them..we dont really need iPads and the generation that skips this device will be better off. We can wait for a better product which would be a tablet w/o the keyboard.

Coming to what apple has done, lets give it to them, these guys are pushing people to innovate. The debate will then move on to how technology is making us lazy everyday ๐Ÿ™‚ From walkman to an iPod things have improved dont you think?

This is Anfield
    June 22, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Do I need/have any Apple products?
    No, I don’t like to show off and I also feel that their products are highly overpriced.

Do I need Facebook every second of the day?
    No, I have got better things to do.

Do I need internet every second of the day?
    Yes I do. Yes I do. It makes my life very easy. I learn loads of things everyday, thanks to internet. It has changed our lives. Upon reading this post, I checked my internet history and found that I googled for 43 different things in the past 24 hours. That means I know 43 things more than I knew a day before. Positive and constructive use of technology is always welcome.

Sam Liu
    June 22, 2010 at 7:56 pm

iPods, pads, touches…it’s all nonsense to me. I’ve never made a habit of buying all the latest technology gadgets and I don’t understand why people are so obsessed by it. I have a simple Toshiba laptop that suits all my needs perfectly – why on this gracious earth would I need to be able to book a meal at a restaurant, buy cinema tickets, rings each of my friends and check all my emails all at once…and of course, there would be countless apps to buy…oh, just thinking about it confuses me. I most certainly share your views ๐Ÿ™‚

June 23, 2010 at 11:26 am

Maybe they have improved things but I think the ipod made them a bit too cocky and now they think they rule the technological world and somehow, I am not liking that. That superior attitude.

June 23, 2010 at 11:31 am

Welcome Ajey! I see you are a Liverpool fan as well! =)

Okay…so maybe you need internet every second of the day…but are you sure you are learning something constructive?? =P And even if you need it, why does it have to be through an iproduct?

June 23, 2010 at 11:46 am

Amen to all you have said! That was succint and exactly all that was in my head!! =)

Magali
    June 23, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I’m a huge apple fan so obviously I don’t feel this way! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I’ve had iPods but never any iPhones or no iPad yet. The main reason I am an Apple fan is because Apple products are wonderful- they synch perfectly with each other, there are never worms, trojans or ‘you have performed an illegal operation’ on Macs. So it’s actually Windows I have the grudge against. Cos almost everything significant on Macs are copied from Windows. Desktop icons? copied from Macs. Mouse? Copied from Mac. Even the Sans-Serif fonts? COPIED FROM MACS!
    LOL. Then they call Indian music directors plagiarizers!
    Basically I think there’s nothing that Windows ha to offer, most people just prefer it cause it’s the industry standard & a lot cheaper than macs. But I agree with you that the ‘fever’ can be crazy! I have not products not to show others, but because I find using them immensely pleasurable & that’s what we all should feel while using our operating-system-of-choice, right? ๐Ÿ™‚

June 24, 2010 at 10:45 am

Hehe…I remember you are a big apple fan. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Windows come first? So by that, macs surely would have had some influences from windows? I have found Macs hard to work with…had it in one of the computer labs at uni. I find windows a lot more user friendly and it seems to have everything one needs to be online i guess…But as you said, at the end of the day, each one to their own =)

journomuse
    June 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Wow PB: 350 Posts…Impressive…I’m one of those tech junkies, who love reading about new stuff..but haven’t been sucked into Jobs’ Apple Pie yet..;) They are impressive gadgets, but you don’t need to have it. Although must say I’m a Blackberry fan now..:)

June 28, 2010 at 9:49 am

Thanks Journo! Lol @ Applie Pie! Blackberry…one of my friends just got one. I have a straightforward nokia with no internet facilities =)

bookslifenmore
    June 29, 2010 at 11:22 am

Me? hehehe!!! couldn’t care less!!!

Just another gadget for me specially because they are beyond my reach ๐Ÿ˜‰