Movies

Mother and Child

Last night I managed to see ‘Mother and Child’ at the movies. It was one of those limited-release movies and we saw it at Palace cinemas, which is similar to the Dendy but slightly more expensive. One good thing about most limited-release movies are they are not your typical Hollywood trash.

And this was no exception.

‘Mother and Child’ revolves around the lives of 3 women. Karen (Annette Bening) is a 50 year old woman who gave up a daughter for adoption about 35 years ago. She lives each day in regret and wondering where her daughter is. Her daughter, named Elizabeth now (Naomi Watts) is an independent and successful attorney who values being self-sufficient. She is bitter about being given up for adoption. Lucy (Kerry Washington) is a young wife unable to have children of her own and therefore wanting to adopt. The movie looks at their trials and tribulations individually as eventually their paths cross in a serendipitous manner.

My verdict: BRILLIANT!

Where do I even start? The characters are beautifully created and you can feel the pain, the sadness and the angst of each and every one of them. The actors do a lot of justice to the characters. Samuel L Jackson as Elizabeth’s boss and Jimmy Smits as Karen’s partner, do a fantastic job as well. They are portrayed as kind, selfless men. Elizabeth is more like her mother than she would ever guess. Distant. Difficulty with relationships. Problems with trust. It makes you think about the nature v/s nurture debate — a person who has not been brought up by their biological parent still ends up being quite similar to them. What does that say for biology? How do the three women get through their individual turmoils? Does Lucy get to adopt a child? Can Elizabeth ever have a stable relationship when stability is not part of her life? Can she forgive her mother for giving her up? And can Karen forgive herself for giving up her own daughter?

The movie has several underlying themes apart from mothers and their children. And each one is as poignant as the next. A very powerful movie and highly recommended!

Sam Liu
    July 4, 2010 at 12:49 pm

It sounds like a wonderful movie! I find it so refreshingly marvellous that there are still meaningful pictures, with substance, plot and message, finding their way amidst this sea of, as you so rightly call, Hollywood trash. I shall definitely try and watch it, thank you for this brilliant review 🙂

LadyNoor
    July 4, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Sounds like a great movie, reminds me of White Oleander (2002) played by Michelle Pfeiffer. It was about a relationship of a mother and daughter too. No matter what happened there’s always a connection between the two, be it good or not so good it something we all carry for life… Well, in my opinion & experience anyway… Thanks for sharing PB, I’m going to put it on my movie list to watch.

Legal Alien
    July 4, 2010 at 1:40 pm

sounds interesting. not many places to watch movies like this on the Gold Coast though 🙁 I’ll try to find it on DVD.

Lazy Pineapple
    July 4, 2010 at 2:52 pm

sounds interesting…will check it out. Thanks for the review 🙂

Smitha
    July 4, 2010 at 5:46 pm

That sounds very interesting! Will definitely try and watch it!

July 5, 2010 at 10:22 am

I know…it’s good there are still movies with a good plot! Unfortunately, most of them tend to be limited-relases and not the mainstream. But nice to know some places still show it!

July 5, 2010 at 10:23 am

Hmm…haven’t heard of White Oleander…need to check it out at the video store. Do let me know what you think of the movie when yo uwatch it…it was brilliantly done…

July 5, 2010 at 10:23 am

Oh…no Dendy or Palace at the GC? But yeah, I guess if you can get it on DVD in the future, it;’s a must watch!

July 5, 2010 at 10:23 am

Do check it out…and give your views as well =)

July 5, 2010 at 10:26 am

DO…and give your feedback… =)

mahmudfaisal
    July 5, 2010 at 11:02 am

It seems interesting to me… will try to watch it…

July 5, 2010 at 11:10 am

Do…it’s definitely worth a watch!

Melissa
    July 5, 2010 at 11:05 pm

I’ll need to look this one up and see where it’s playing. Sounds like a movie I’d love to see – something that would make you think. Better than eyes glazed over watching CGI.

Helps that I just Love Annette Bening. One of my favourite actors ever.

Thanks for the rec.

July 6, 2010 at 9:29 am

It’s definitely worth a watch…and Annette Bening and Naomi Watts were brilliant! I remember liking Annette Bening in American Beauty as well…thought she had done a fantastic job…and she continues to live up to those expectations…

July 6, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Sounds very interesting..will watch it when I get a chance.

July 7, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Do…and let me know what you think…

starry eyed
    July 9, 2010 at 3:04 am

Wow…sounds like a movie I want to watch, its a topic that’s definitely of interest to my family 🙂 Thanks for the review!

July 9, 2010 at 8:25 am

Oh yeah…of course! Take some tissues though if you are a person that cries easily… 🙂