Life

On the go

I cannot believe it is Monday already. The weekend just flew by. And I didn’t even relax!

Saturday was craziness personified. I had about 5 private cars to view. Of course, I took R along with me…someone had to drive me! Two friends also agreed to help out from home doing a REVS check…which basically involves checking online whether the car is appropriately registered or has any finance owing on it or any other non-mechanical problems.

The first car I saw looked great. A 2005 Toyota Echo sedan. Golden coloured. Clean. Engine looked great. The owner showed me a picture of the front bumper having been banged into but fixed. And so, I call up my friend C with details for the REVS check. And I find out: it was a repairable write-off. One car down.

Second car didn’t look great. Had rust on it. Didn’t bother test driving. Third car looked fine. It drove okay. There were a couple of things questionable: there seemed to be oil on the engine which the owners said was to make it look nice. I thought I would get it if everything checked out. Called N, another friend. She checked it out and get this: Strike out. Another repairable write-off!

R and I had lunch and then R had to vote. Yes, add voting on the list of things to do for the day. While driving back for me to vote, I called up the next person whose car I was going to see and asked for the details for a REVS check thinking it would make more sense checking this before I spent time looking at the car. Sent the details to N. And yet another repairable write-off. By then, I’d had it. I was stressing out.

I voted next. For Gillard, in case you were wondering. [Felt great to be voting the first time ever!]

Then decided I was going to scratch out the private sales and just go to a dealership. Finally did. And found a car. A 2001 Holden Astra CD. Silver colour. And while I’m not sure about the mechanical aspects, at least I was sure it wasn’t a repairable write-off!!! It drove well. So I put a deposit on it.

Got home and pretty much zonked out in front of the telly for a night of politics. Which only made my mood plummet. Not happy that Mr. Rabbit might just become PM. My worst nightmare! A sexist, conservative, right-wing, homophobic PM. George Bush, anyone?

Then Sunday, instead of lounging around at home, I had to go out for a friend’s birthday celebration. To High Tea. It was my first High Tea experience and I must say, I reckon it’s a pretentious crock of shit. I enjoyed the company of my friends and the food was okay but so not worth the price. Forgive me if I like my food cheap and wholesome as against expensive and just finger food. And it doesn’t help that I’m not a girly-girl unlike my friends to enjoy something ‘posh’ like this. The things I do for friendship! πŸ™‚

As much as I love my friends, hanging out with them can make me feel insecure. Financially, I mean. My friends either live at home or those who are married have their husbands paying expenses. I’m the only one from this group of friends who lives on my own, so to speak. And therefore, the one that has to watch her finances like a hawk. So I have to sometimes sit through chats about holidays and travelling to Europe and the like and remind myself of all what I have. I am not miserable with my life. I love it. I love what I have. But it’s hard to sometimes sit through talk about spending money without thinking.

After that hectic week and weekend, I was in bed by 8:30. And fast asleep. Till 6 this morning.

I’m looking forward to Friday. I have a rostered day off. And boy, do I need one!

Magali
    August 23, 2010 at 10:19 am

Happy you find a car! Who’s R? Your roomie? (sorry I’m not sure).
    Also, what does repairable write off mean? I mean, I’m not dumb, I know what it mean per se, but how does it get written off? Confused.

August 23, 2010 at 10:29 am

Sorry…R’s a friend. A write off is what happened to my own car…when the cost to repair is more than the value of the car. Insurance companies write it off in that case. Which means, there is always the risk that there could be some kind of damage to engines etc which you don’t know and it would be hard to insure the car if you bought it.

Magali
    August 23, 2010 at 11:16 am

Thanks for the info. Seems like car repairing is super expensive in Australia.

August 23, 2010 at 11:57 am

I think it’s expensive everywhere unfortunately…and given how dependent people are on cars, means it’s a money making industry. Sigh

August 23, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Yay! Congratulations on the new car.

ItsNu
    August 23, 2010 at 3:24 pm

the car looks good..googled the pics πŸ™‚

You’re right it’s tough at times to sit back and listen to people who are high on expenses and they don’t mind at all…but as you rightly said..it’s only you who knows what all you have as assets and you can tell yourself πŸ™‚ No no..not imparting gyaan πŸ˜‰

also there is one bright side…you’re on your own and independent..free bird πŸ™‚ I’m jealous of you πŸ˜‰ see.see..you’re being envied πŸ˜›

Celestialrays
    August 23, 2010 at 9:07 pm

With you on the food thing! Once in a while the posh place is OK for experience, but I like tasty food, it doesnt matter if its cheap!

August 24, 2010 at 11:54 am

Thanks T! =) Will put pics up soon…

August 24, 2010 at 11:56 am

Hehe…yay for google. Drove it to and from work today and enjoyed it! Still nervous though as I’m having images of the accident recurring. Ah, you’re jealous of me. Lol…thanks! But you’re right…I do look on the bright side that I am independent and I guess getting more life skills at the moment compared to friends who are in fact older than I am. Two of them will be 30 next year and still live at home. And they are Aussie.

August 24, 2010 at 11:57 am

Looks like you and I will have a good time going out to dinner! =) I once went to this extremely posh place where we paid $80 for a 3 course meal which was pint sized! HAve never ever spent that much on food ever. On the other hand, one of my favourite haunts is this Indian place where we get 3 curries, rice and naan for $13.

Murgapandian
    August 26, 2010 at 9:49 am

Hi, nice information. i want to share my views which might be useful to others.After years of searching for a solution for my premature ejaculation problem, I found Invigo. The best part is that I dont have to worry about any side effects and it is a permanent solution. I recommend Invigo to all who have this problem and you would definitely find a difference. I am glad it is coming to India.we can get at http://www.invigo.in