Life

The story so far…

Following from my accident on Sunday, things have been happening. For one, I have been catching public transport to work for three days now. And I can see pros and cons. The pros include I can read on the buses and get to enjoy the sights and sounds around me rather than focusing on the cars in front and beside me. The cons however include me having to catch 2 buses in order to get from home to work. 2 buses. That’s what you get for living and working in the suburbs. The other con is that public transport costs more than petrol! I think public transport is only worthwhile if you work in the city due to lack of parking out there and traffic driving in there. Else it’s a rort!

This morning, I took my car to the repair place to have it assessed. And get this. I was told by the assessor that most likely, my car may be a write-off!!!! I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t think the damage was that bad. But he reckons that replacing the bonnet and the front bumper and lights is not worth the amount the car has been insured for. For the uninformed, my car is a second-hand car and a 1995 model. So yes, it’s not worth much. Apparently it doesn’t matter that the engine is functioning well. I’ll know for sure whether it’s a write-off or not tomorrow. Sigh. It’s not the end of the world I know. But it’s a hassle. Plus buying another car would mean dipping into my savings since the insured value of this one is not that much.

I keep reminding myself of all the good things about public transport at present. But I still want a car. I was unable to attend my writing class this week because there was no way to get there. So you see, I need a car! Public transport in the suburbs sucks. Wonder if any of the pollies are listening!

So anyway, I’ve been out of it. I feel flat. Feel like I’ve lost motivation at work. Worried that I need a car asap and whether I have to buy one or wait for mine to get repaired, it looks like it will take a while. Sigh.

Makk Disct
    August 12, 2010 at 11:13 am

Good Luck.

starsinmeyes
    August 12, 2010 at 11:45 am

Oh, that’s so tough. It’s that way for most things nowadays, if it’s damaged or malfuntioning, you just have to get a new one. it’s crazy, isn’t it?! Maybe this is a way to get you to pamper yourself with a new car, what say? I just got myself a spanking new phone that I wouldn’t have otherwise 🙂

Celestialrays
    August 12, 2010 at 11:58 am

good luck PB!

Bikram
    August 12, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I feel these Insurance people are rip offs… If they think its not worth then why did they insure it .. when it suits them they take ur money but when the tables are turned its always the same .. I had a similar problem where they said its a right off .. it sucks .. the problem now is to get a new car which will cost more and then when u want it insured your premium will go up.. its all loose loose situation..

Are there any indian garages .. they may sort it out for you if you try.. All the best I hope its good news fpor you

Ask the people how much r they wiling to give against the loss.. the insurance people and then ask around if someone will do the work for that much money or a bit more and you can pay the difference … thats what i did .. the cost of repair was 1200pounds .. my insurance said they can pay a maximum os 1000 so i took that and paid 200 from my pocket 🙂 hopw this makes sense …

Sam Liu
    August 12, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I agree, there are good points and bad points to using public transport. It can be a pain, especially if one lives outside of the city. I hope your transportation woes are resolved soon. Have hope 😀

August 12, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Oh… 🙁 Hope they can fix it for now and maybe you can think about buying later.

August 13, 2010 at 9:03 am

Thanks…

August 13, 2010 at 9:04 am

Yeah…especially with second-hand cars I suppose. I still don’t know the outcome but I’m okay either way I suppose….

August 13, 2010 at 9:04 am

Thanks Divz….

Swaram
    August 13, 2010 at 9:25 am

I hv problems posting comments here and i dnt even why 🙁 My browser hangs up 🙁
    I am so sry I dint know abt the accident. Hope u r fine.

August 13, 2010 at 10:33 am

I guess they do rip you off in a way but I must say, I am still grateful to be insured given that I was at fault and the insurance company can pay for the damage I did to the other person’s vehicle. And mind you, seeing their vehicle, it would have been at least 2000-3000 to replace their two doors of an expensive looking 4WD. I’ve come to terms with the fact that I may need to buy a new car…at least they will give me the entire amount it was insured for which is about four grand. I get what you are saying but I also get that if it’s going to be expensive to fix, I may be better off with a newer model vehicle. Will still have to wait and watch…

August 13, 2010 at 10:34 am

I hope so too!! And I didn’t think public transport would be bad in the UK…thought it was only here! 😛

August 13, 2010 at 10:34 am

I have come to terms with either way now T…will just have to wait. They didn’t call today and I hope to know by Monday….

August 13, 2010 at 10:37 am

Oh! Didn’t know that…wonder why you are having that problem. Have you tried using disqus on any other blog? If so, does the same thing happen? Maybe I should change my blog design? I’m fine Swar…minor accident…no one was hurt…unfortunately was my fault…and is just very inconvenient! =s

BlueMist
    August 13, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Is the car damage major that you are considering to buy a new one ? Whatever you decide hope it gets there fast and you are happy 🙂

August 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Well, it still runs. But the damage is to the bonnet and the front bumper and lights. And because it’s a second hand car, apparently the cost of fixing just those parts might be almost equal to the the amount it’s insured for. It depends on the repairer’s quotes and then the insurance company will let me know. I don’t really get a choice. What the assessor told me made sense — why fix this and find other problems too (given it’s a second hand) when you might as well buy another one. At this point, I am not too fussed either way as long as I know which one it is so that I can have an idea when I will get my car — either my current one or having to buy a new one! The not knowing is very frustrating!

September 16, 2010 at 2:01 am

vaidehi
    January 19, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Hi,
    I am currently living in WA.What is writing class? And what do they teach there?
    I am just trying to gather information.
    Thanks
    vaidehi recently posted…Simple ways to organize a bagMy Profile

January 19, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Hi Vaidehi, there is what is called Community college which runs a variety of classes in different areas and suburbs. In 2009, I did a creative writing class for the whole year…it goes as per school terms. I’ve also learnt some Italian, the guitar and done some exercise classes through this. Not sure if it’s only run in NSW or across Aus but you can Google to find out.