Humour

People you meet…

I’ve been thinking lately about the different kind of people you meet…in particular, the ones that tend to annoy me. Starting a new job means you get to observe people and the dynamics within any team. And I reckon that’s kind of where this stems from. I’m going to try my best to categorise them:

I’m anxious; you need to be too: These are the ones that are so highly anxious to the point when it’s contagious. Now, I am an anxious person. But I rarely make others anxious. However, I have known people who think it’s doom and gloom all the way through and make you doubt yourself a zillion times! I still vividly remember when I started my fourth year course here. Another student from India was doing the same course but wasn’t sure if she would get into the Masters program. And her way of coping with? Telling me in our first week in a new country starting uni that the degree from our uni was not recognised by the immigration department for residency purposes. You can imagine how anxious that would have made me! Turns out she was completely wrong. And she ended up doing her Masters there as well.

Two-faced bitch: This is the lady that talks and smiles and is very friendly with you. She gossips about the woman in the next room and what a bitch she can be and how demanding she is. The next day, you watch her talking to the same lady she gossiped about, this time bitching about someone else in the office and their taste in clothes. Yes, this is the person that bitches about everybody to everybody. Be careful what you tell them.

Know-it-all: This person loves to impart advice. Whether you want it or not. And to tell you what you’ve done wrong. For instance, when you say you have bought a new used car, they question your choice of car and tell you how they know someone who knows someone who had the same car go bust after a 100,000 kms. Or they question you about why you didn’t just buy a new car. Without knowing your financial situation or anything else about you. Or they will tell you about why you really should exercise every day and what you need to do to get rid of the pimples which don’t bother you.  The girl from the first example could also possibly fit here.

Best buds: No, they are not really your buddy. But they like to think they are. In some situations. For instance, they have difficulty with a certain task but you don’t but they will still present it at a meeting with the manager as “we have been having difficulty with…” I’m sorry. Since when did I have a problem with that? But then, whether you like it or not, the best bud just sucked you in on the discussion and you have no choice but to sit through it.

Palmer-off: If you are an extremely hard-working person at uni or work, and good at heart, you probably will succumb to the conspiracies of the Palmer-off. They are the ones who slack off and dump all their work on to you. They will be oh-so-nice and beg you for your assistance with tasks and before you realise it, you have done it all. Including your work. While they had a relaxing gossip session and tea with their buddies.

Brag-a-delic: They are awesome. They are wonderful. Everyone loves them. They are perfect. That’s what they say. Not many others share the same view. Yes, these wonderful people love to talk about how wonderful they are. They talk about their successes, will never admit to a fault, talk about how so-and-so complimented them on the dress they were wearing, how efficient they were in organising something blah, blah, blah. Every. Single. Day. Unfortunately, they do not seem to have an understanding of the age-old saying “actions speak louder than words“.

These are just some of the people I have had the ‘honour’ to meet in my last 26 years on this planet. Despite not liking them very much, they do give me something to blog about. And are interesting to observe as long as I am not trapped by them.

Have you had the pleasure of meeting any of these people? Do share

Do you know of any other character types that you would like to talk about?

All I can say is, thank god the world is not entirely made up of these characters. We still have the decent ones. The helpful ones. The cheerful ones. The friendly ones. The supportive ones.

Even if they may be few and far between.

starsinmeyes
    September 22, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Well, actually I just blogged about the type that is irritating me to hell these days…what shall I call them? The Whiners full of Hot Air?

Thank God for the few n far between normal genuine types!

September 22, 2010 at 2:47 pm

But of course. I’ve come across all these types too. As soon as I recognize someone to fall into categories that I know I can’t really get along with, I try to distant myself as much as possible. It’s hard when it comes to the work environment…but I just keep things to the minimal with these people.

Prateek Gupta
    September 22, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Excellent Classification!!! Spot on.

Magali
    September 22, 2010 at 5:12 pm

So so true. Couldn’t agree more.
    PS Like the new look of your blog, but hating this new disqus widget. Make is easier for technologically challenged, but makes it hell while the post is loading! (Am going through the same problems.)

NC (erstwhile Footloose)
    September 22, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Liked the post:) Know a know-it-all but he’s a very good and loyal friend so I just grin and bear.
    I’ve been away from blogosphere again, but I’m back now, with a new blog no less (fembagirl.blogspot.com), to document new school+work life. I vow to post atleast once a week for the next three years. See you here and there 🙂

ItsNu
    September 22, 2010 at 7:33 pm

certainly have met ‘know-it-all’ and ‘palmer-off’ types a lot…the other categories..very few thank god for that !

Classic classification that PB..liked it 🙂 But like you said as long as we are away from their trap we’re fine 🙂

Hey try increasing the font size just by +1…will be easy on the screen 🙂

September 23, 2010 at 9:26 am

Lol! I like that one…I’m off to read your post now…

September 23, 2010 at 9:36 am

Tell me about it! I find that I can’t get along with them either…or instantly don’t like them. And yeah, like you, at the workplace, I try to be civil but reduce as much interaction as I can with these people…

September 23, 2010 at 9:36 am

Thanks Prats!

September 23, 2010 at 9:36 am

Thanks Prats!

September 23, 2010 at 9:38 am

Guess you have come across these individuals as well! Thanks about the look of the blog. And yeah, Disqus has been giving me the shits lately….takes long to load or sometimes cannot post a comment because something else is in the comment box. I thought of shifting to Intense Debate but then we lose all these comments.

September 23, 2010 at 9:40 am

Hello hello! Long time no see. And you have a new blog up…cool!

September 23, 2010 at 9:41 am

Lucky you…I’ve met all of the above and still have some around. Sigh.

And re the font size — your wish has been granted =)

Aativas
    September 23, 2010 at 11:39 am

Good tips for me as I am changing my job.. but place may be old or new, people are same everywhere!

September 23, 2010 at 1:01 pm

You’re right…same characters in different bodies! Good luck with the new job! 🙂

Dr pratibha
    September 23, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Great observation I must say.http://pratibhameanstalent.blogspot.com/

ItsNu
    September 23, 2010 at 5:02 pm

yeah that’s better 🙂 thankie so much 🙂

A Restless Mind
    September 24, 2010 at 8:05 am

Hey Psych babaler!

very well written! good classification. Yeah, I have had my share of bitching ppl and bragging one’s too. But then you learn to deal with them slowly. And yes, thank God there are nice people and genuine ppl around too!

well thought of post!

RESTLESS

Staci_at_JustBloggled
    September 26, 2010 at 1:57 am

I don’t know what to call them, but I seemed to attract the kind of “friend” in law school who only hung around you when you were on the same level. If they made bad grades, they hounded/stalked you until you checked yours, assuming you made bad ones, too. When you didn’t, they wouldn’t talk to you again, until it was job time. Then if you didn’t have a job yet, they were your best friend. If you did, they were gone again.

I guess they’re the ones who only use you to boost their own crappy self-esteem. Kind of the cousin of your first personality type.

As for work, I used to be surrounded by the two-faced bitches and the know it alls. A lot of times they were the same people, too. Hope the next job doesn’t end up the same way.

September 26, 2010 at 8:58 am

Welcome Pratibha! And thanks…

September 26, 2010 at 8:58 am

No worries Nu… =)

September 26, 2010 at 8:59 am

Thanks Restless, you do learn to deal with them after a while, don’t you?? No matter how tiresome they are…

September 26, 2010 at 9:33 am

Oooh!!! I know what you mean…they are the Bring-you-downers I suppose. Or the Fairweather-Friends? Given that they only want to be friends when things are down for you and them. I’ve had one of those…using me to boost their own self-esteem and not sounding happy when I was doing well and was happy. Hope there are some sensible decent people for you at the next job…they can definitely be worth the one or two idiots….