Life

Bridges

I have a fascination with bridges. Actually, strike that. I have a fascination travelling across a bridge over the water. There is something very calming, very soothing about it.

It dates back to my college days in Bombay. When I travelled for over an hour each way to and from college. The way back especially is vivid. I remember standing near the train doors (if I didn’t have a window seat) while crossing the bridge just before my stop. I think the bridge symbolised homecoming after a long and tiring day. Somehow, in those 3 to 5 minutes over the bridge, I was transported to a magical place. One that didn’t seem anywhere similar to the noisy, polluted and smelly Bombay I had been travelling through for almost an hour.

For about 4 years after coming to Australia, I had no bridges to cross unless it was a visit to Cronulla beach via Alfords Point Bridge or once when I visited a friend in Mosman and therefore travelled across the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

And then I moved.

Almost a couple of years ago (August 2009) to an area in Sydney which I fell in love with the first time I visited. And since then, every day to and from work, I cross a bridge (Not the Sydney Harbour bridge!). The view is breathtaking. I notice how I instantly relax upon reaching the bridge on the way back home. Home is what it signifies. No matter how hard a day I have had, no matter how crazy the traffic has been, no matter how tired I am, my spirits are instantly lifted as I drive across the bridge. I do take in the views as well and thank my stars almost every day for the lovely area I live in. For how fortunate I am. The following are just some of the views I am privileged to see every single day. [Pictures courtesy Google images and links provided to all]

I couldn’t find any images with the sun setting but honestly, it’s gorgeous. There have been times when I’ve just wanted to pull over and take photos. Unfortunately though, we can’t stop on the bridge! Some day soon, I will take my lazy arse up there to click some pictures of my own.

I do find it funny and interesting at the same time at just how bridges seem to play a big role in my life. They signify connections. To home. Wherever that may be for me at any given stage in my life.

Prateek Bagri
    May 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm

My friend is into architect and he has more fetish for bridges than buildings. Obsessed lad. ๐Ÿ˜›

Magali
    May 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Bridges are beautiful… You should drive through Bandra Worli sea link when you come down here! It’s really long & lovely. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jake George
    May 8, 2011 at 7:51 pm

used to travel by train to meet up with cousins for the summer vacations … and always loved it when the train was on a bridge over green paddy fields or a river. ..but at the same time a lil creeped out too cuz the train would keep rattling like it was gonna fall apart at any moment ๐Ÿ™‚ …

Kim
    May 9, 2011 at 12:17 am

You are so lucky! Love those views!

May 9, 2011 at 1:56 am

Bridges can be fascinating architecturally as well I’m sure… ๐Ÿ™‚

May 9, 2011 at 1:57 am

I think it was open the last time I came to Bombay but can’t remember if I
    went on it…I doubt given that there was no reason to go that way…

May 9, 2011 at 1:58 am

Hehe…that’s Indian trains though…the rattling! The long distance ones I
    think were a lot more unsettling than the day-to-day ones in Bombay. At
    least that’s my thinking and I only travelled on long distance trains a few
    times.

May 9, 2011 at 1:59 am

I know Kim! I thank my stars almost every day! ๐Ÿ™‚

Little Finger
    May 9, 2011 at 5:31 am

Oh waw pictures are too good..Loved the view ๐Ÿ™‚

soulmate
    May 9, 2011 at 6:24 am

Bridge over troubled waters… :-))
    I love the bridges too specially if its over water. I specially want to travel in the train which takes you to Rameshwaram and crosses the sea. The bridge is really really low. All you can see is vast sea till the point you can see..

Its a wonderful feeling to connect a bridge to your homecoming, just like in your case.

bikram
    May 9, 2011 at 1:28 pm

wowow loved the pictures .. I was in sydney so we did climb the bridge , its awesome .. and when I was driving to gold coast i am sure we crossed over a few bridges .. australia is beautiful …

Bikram’s

Corinne Rodrigues
    May 9, 2011 at 2:47 pm

We’ll need to psycho analyse why you feel this way ๐Ÿ˜‰ You need to visit Mumbai again and go over the sea link – you’ll love it. Wishing you many happy crossings!

May 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm

bridges are fascinating, aren’t they? ๐Ÿ˜€ those views re just amazing!

Fleur Vid
    May 9, 2011 at 7:13 pm

What beautiful sights to enjoy on your daily commute.. ๐Ÿ™‚ Beautiful pics!!

May 10, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I love it too every day! ๐Ÿ™‚

May 10, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Hehe…that’s a good one — bridge over troubled waters!

Do take pictures if you travel on that train to Rameshwaram…that would be
    cool!

May 10, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Haven’t done the Harbour bridge climb yet Bikram. But yes, I agree Aus is
    beautfiul. ๐Ÿ™‚ And yes, I’m biased! ๐Ÿ˜€

May 10, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Haha! I wonder what Freud would say! (Not that I give two hoots about
    psychoanalysis!) Will see if my travels this time to Bombay take me over the
    sea link…

May 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm

They are! I still remember the first time I went over the Harbour Bridge by
    train here…was like a child and so excited! ๐Ÿ˜€ Now I have another bridge
    and wonderful views every day…

May 10, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Welcome here Fleur! And yes, I am grateful for what I get to view every
    single day… ๐Ÿ™‚

Prajakta Pradhan
    May 11, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Was very surprised to read this post, especially to know that someone else too was so much affected by bridges. Here’s something that I had written about bridges in Pune: http://peeves-prajakta.blogspot.com/2010/08/crossing-bridges.html.

May 12, 2011 at 1:17 am

Yep…looks like there are other people fascinated by bridges as well. Will
    hop over now to check out your post!

Reema
    May 24, 2011 at 10:08 am

every person has that something which represents “home has arrived” to them. when I travel..I feel the same joy when I see the railway station of my city.

May 25, 2011 at 12:03 am

It’s all different for different people, isn’t it? Generally based on our
    experiences and our memories of course… ๐Ÿ™‚

T is for Thankfulness #atozchallenge | Over Cups of Coffee
    April 23, 2014 at 6:01 am

[…] times taking me by surprise. Like on a drive back home after a frustrating day. As I drive across Tom Ugly’s bridge towards home, I am forever grateful to be living in a beautiful part of this world. At other times, […]