Life

10 Day Challenge: Ten Secrets

I decided to take on the 10 Day You Challenge after reading Richa’s and Prats’ post. I might occasionally have a different post in between attempting this challenge but I thought this would be interesting to do. So anyway, the first ‘day’ requires me to share 10 secrets.

1. I talk to myself a lot. And not just in my head but out loud. I can have conversations with myself…I’ll ask myself questions and respond to them. Generally it’s when I’m by myself at home or while driving. But occasionally I find myself talking out loud when I’m at the shops planning out loud where else I have to go. And yes, I get strange looks.

Beef Lasagne

2. I enjoy cooking. It’s funny that I hated cooking before I came to Australia and the only reason I’d step into the kitchen would be to get my food. However, living on my own left me with few options and I found that I actually enjoyed cooking and trying out new recipes. The only thing is, I prefer when there are other people to try out the food and be my guinea pigs! πŸ™‚ You can see some of my attempts here.

Memories of Chandler

3. I love F.R.I.E.N.D.S. I find that I relate everyday things to the series. I must have watched all the episodes a zillion times by now and still manage to laugh every single time. And my favourite character is Chandler.

4. When I finished my 10th, I took up Arts with the intention of going on to become a journalist. I was keen on becoming a sports journalist for about two years. And then in Year 11, I studied Psychology and was sucked in. I also had the realisation that as a socially-phobic individual, being a journalist and being forthright and pushy may not really be the best career option. I haven’t regretted my decision since.

5. Sometimes I am scarily like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. No, I don’t have his supreme intelligence or his obnoxious behaviour. But I can take things a bit too literally at times and not get some jokes and sarcasm. Go figure.

6. I cannot stand narcissists! I have met a few in the workplace and I find it hard to be able to communicate with them. I’m not rude, of course. But just knowing that they think they are better than everyone else annoys me to the point where I can just say “hi” to them or communicate in response to things they ask.

7. I don’t like owing people money. I make sure if I borrow money, I return it as soon as possible. However, currently, I’m still lagging behind in the money I owe my parents for my postgrad studies. But I’m getting there…paying them back.

8. When I was a teenager, I was unhappy at being an introvert. I thought I was boring and yearned to be witty and extroverted and outgoing. Basically, I yearned to be the life of a group. Thankfully, some years ago, something clicked in my brain and I accepted my introversion and I can honestly say I am happy. I don’t loathe myself as I did before. And I really enjoy my time with myself.

9. I am ashamed to say this one. When I was about 11 or 12, I attempted to use fairness creams. Yes, I admit, I used Fair and Lovely. It didn’t have any effect (surprise, surprise!) I was insecure about my looks and the colour of my skin was part of that. I accepted it some years after that and I can proudly say that in the last 6 years, I am even proud of my dark skin (which by the way, has become darker in Australia thanks to my love for the beach and the sun!)

10. I have never seen snow apart from in the movies. I long to see it.

And that’s it. Ten secrets from me. Keep watching this space for the ‘You’ challenge.

Priyanka Victor
    June 30, 2011 at 1:27 pm

How honest you are! Not many people who take up the challenge are.
    Hi5 for being F.R.I.E.N.D.S addicts:)

Priyanka Victor
    June 30, 2011 at 1:27 pm

How honest you are! Not many people who take up the challenge are.
    Hi5 for being F.R.I.E.N.D.S addicts:)

June 30, 2011 at 2:56 pm

June 30, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Ah…a trip to Boston…well, I should definitely put it on the agenda…not
    this year but sometime in the near future. And yes, we are both Chandler and
    Sheldon fans, aren’t we? πŸ™‚

soulmate
    July 1, 2011 at 4:46 am

I have also used Fair N Lovely at some point of time in my life (Dont know what made me do that)…. After that I used it on my feet thinking it will remove the tan, but it only made it worse.. Threw it away in the bin, vowing never to get it back..
    Guilty as charged!!!

soulmate
    July 1, 2011 at 4:46 am

Guilty as charged!!!

Prats
    July 1, 2011 at 5:08 am

Really glad you took that challenge too. A lot of things I can relate to specially the Friends, I am a huge fan of Monika and must have seen all the episodes a zillion times too πŸ™‚Β

Prats
    July 1, 2011 at 5:08 am

July 1, 2011 at 5:29 am

Yikes! It made it worse, Soul? Thankfully mine didn’t make it any worse nor
    did it make it any fairer… 😐 I think all that advertising and listening
    to people around you saying dark skin is not good seduces us at that young
    age to make a decision like that. Sigh…

July 1, 2011 at 5:29 am

Yikes! It made it worse, Soul? Thankfully mine didn’t make it any worse nor
    did it make it any fairer… 😐 I think all that advertising and listening
    to people around you saying dark skin is not good seduces us at that young
    age to make a decision like that. Sigh…

July 1, 2011 at 5:30 am

Monica is probably my favourite from the women…I can relate to her
    obsessiveness although thankfully I’m not as bad as her! πŸ˜›

July 1, 2011 at 5:30 am

Monica is probably my favourite from the women…I can relate to her
    obsessiveness although thankfully I’m not as bad as her! πŸ˜›

BlueMist
    July 1, 2011 at 5:35 am

This sounds interesting. πŸ™‚ Let me check if I can do it as well πŸ™‚ thanks for passing on the inspiration.Β

BlueMist
    July 1, 2011 at 5:35 am

July 1, 2011 at 5:51 am

It is fun Misty! Do take it on…will look forward to reading yours! πŸ™‚

July 1, 2011 at 5:51 am

It is fun Misty! Do take it on…will look forward to reading yours! πŸ™‚

Bikram
    July 1, 2011 at 10:15 am

You like cooking .. lovelyΒ  me tooo
    Make a Trip to UK and see the snow …Β
    I like friends too but my best character is Phoebe Buffey πŸ™‚

I have already started this tag in my DRAFTS will post them soon …

Bikram’s

Bikram
    July 1, 2011 at 10:15 am

You like cooking .. lovelyΒ  me tooo
    Make a Trip to UK and see the snow …Β
    I like friends too but my best character is Phoebe Buffey πŸ™‚

I have already started this tag in my DRAFTS will post them soon …

Bikram’s

July 1, 2011 at 10:48 am

I like Phoebe too…and Monica. I know…I should make a trip to a snow-covered place! Would be so much easier! πŸ˜› Looking forward to reading your posts on this tag Bikram…

July 1, 2011 at 10:48 am

nidsitis
    July 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I would like to take up the challenge. But I fear I can’t be so honest!

Good job πŸ™‚ I like reading such posts. πŸ™‚ so intimate. yet so relateable! πŸ™‚

nidsitis
    July 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I would like to take up the challenge. But I fear I can’t be so honest!

Richa
    July 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm

OMG, i could have written this post. except #10. I have seen and experienced snow and absolutely hate it. I prefer rain over snow anytime. Thankfully I never lived in a place where it snowed regularly….

Glad you took the challenge.

Richa
    July 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Glad you took the challenge.

July 2, 2011 at 10:29 am

You should take up the challenge…it’s fun…you don’t have to relate your deepest secrets (I haven’t!) If you do go ahead with it, let me know…would love to read yours…

July 2, 2011 at 10:29 am