I decided to take on the 10 Day You Challenge after reading Richa’s and Prats’ post. I might occasionally have a different post in between attempting this challenge but I thought this would be interesting to do. So anyway, the first ‘day’ requires me to share 10 secrets.
1. I talk to myself a lot. And not just in my head but out loud. I can have conversations with myself…I’ll ask myself questions and respond to them. Generally it’s when I’m by myself at home or while driving. But occasionally I find myself talking out loud when I’m at the shops planning out loud where else I have to go. And yes, I get strange looks.
2. I enjoy cooking. It’s funny that I hated cooking before I came to Australia and the only reason I’d step into the kitchen would be to get my food. However, living on my own left me with few options and I found that I actually enjoyed cooking and trying out new recipes. The only thing is, I prefer when there are other people to try out the food and be my guinea pigs! 🙂 You can see some of my attempts here.
|Memories of Chandler|
3. I love F.R.I.E.N.D.S. I find that I relate everyday things to the series. I must have watched all the episodes a zillion times by now and still manage to laugh every single time. And my favourite character is Chandler.
4. When I finished my 10th, I took up Arts with the intention of going on to become a journalist. I was keen on becoming a sports journalist for about two years. And then in Year 11, I studied Psychology and was sucked in. I also had the realisation that as a socially-phobic individual, being a journalist and being forthright and pushy may not really be the best career option. I haven’t regretted my decision since.
5. Sometimes I am scarily like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. No, I don’t have his supreme intelligence or his obnoxious behaviour. But I can take things a bit too literally at times and not get some jokes and sarcasm. Go figure.
6. I cannot stand narcissists! I have met a few in the workplace and I find it hard to be able to communicate with them. I’m not rude, of course. But just knowing that they think they are better than everyone else annoys me to the point where I can just say “hi” to them or communicate in response to things they ask.
7. I don’t like owing people money. I make sure if I borrow money, I return it as soon as possible. However, currently, I’m still lagging behind in the money I owe my parents for my postgrad studies. But I’m getting there…paying them back.
8. When I was a teenager, I was unhappy at being an introvert. I thought I was boring and yearned to be witty and extroverted and outgoing. Basically, I yearned to be the life of a group. Thankfully, some years ago, something clicked in my brain and I accepted my introversion and I can honestly say I am happy. I don’t loathe myself as I did before. And I really enjoy my time with myself.
9. I am ashamed to say this one. When I was about 11 or 12, I attempted to use fairness creams. Yes, I admit, I used Fair and Lovely. It didn’t have any effect (surprise, surprise!) I was insecure about my looks and the colour of my skin was part of that. I accepted it some years after that and I can proudly say that in the last 6 years, I am even proud of my dark skin (which by the way, has become darker in Australia thanks to my love for the beach and the sun!)
10. I have never seen snow apart from in the movies. I long to see it.
And that’s it. Ten secrets from me. Keep watching this space for the ‘You’ challenge.
Until next time,