All about the mind

All made up wherever you go…

I re-started my work out at the gym on Monday this week and something I observed made me think of writing this post. I noticed a woman all made-up (lipstick, eye shadow, eye liner, rouge, foundation) and working out and sweating. And I wondered — what was the point of all that make-up? I remember noticing this years ago too when I used to go to the gym in India. There were some young women who were all made up and it made you wonder why especially given that they were going to be sweating it out.

But then, a friend of mine back in India enlightened me. You see, she is or at least, used to be one such person. One who applied make-up if she stepped out of home. So it didn’t matter if she was going to the gym or to the shops or to college, she would have her lipstick on, her eyeliner, mascara, foundation and rouge. For her, it was all about looking her best. I did ask whether she sweated at the gym…apparently not much. [I on the other hand, do not glow. I perspire. Profusely. I look like a hag during and after my workout!] Anyway, there were other theories that these women were also using the gym as a place to pick-up. Fair enough. But that didn’t explain the woman I saw at my gym on Monday because it’s an all-women’s gym.

I wonder though — all these women that have the need to apply make-up before they leave the house no matter where they are going — do they have such a low opinion of how they look? Think about it. Why would you apply all of what I said above if you were just going to the shops? To buy groceries? For that matter, I never understood the few women that would be all made-up to college or uni. We were going there to learn. To study. The friend I mentioned before would wake up early in order to apply her make-up. She even advised me to apply more make-up if I wanted to pick up a guy when I came to Australia (and she was overseas then living on-campus and not leaving her residence unless she had made her face). She couldn’t understand my lack of wanting to apply make-up the same way as I found it hard to understand her need to do so. She is an attractive woman even without make-up. And I think that’s what made it harder for me to fathom why she needed to put on so much.

Don’t get me wrong — I don’t think I look fabulous or anything. But I’m comfortable with the way I look. Plain or otherwise. The only make-up I apply is eyeliner and a dash of lipstick (which barely lasts an hour into work) whether I’m going to work or a party. For grocery shopping, I don’t bother!

Is it just women with such self-esteem issues? Or is there a male equivalent to make-up?

I don’t mean to offend anyone with this post. But I am really curious. What is it that possesses some women to give up sleep in order to apply make-up?

Are you one of those women? Or do you know anyone like that? Do share.

All I can think of is a poor self-concept about the way one looks.

Raindrop
    June 29, 2011 at 7:37 am

I think there is a lot of pressure and hype to look ‘perfect’ all the time. I see people dressing up when going to the local mall to buy vegetables! I do not understand this phenomena at all. And make up to the gym? I really don’t get it. ‘I on the other hand, do not glow. I perspire. Profusely. I look like a hag during and after my workout!’ Well, congrats, you are a normal human being.
    I have been cursed with supremely oily skin, so even if apply make up, it will get cakey within minutes. So I don’t bother at all! That doesn’t mean I don’t try to look presentable- I do.
    If someone doesn’tlike the way I look, it is their problem, not mine.

Raindrop
    June 29, 2011 at 7:37 am

If someone doesn’tlike the way I look, it is their problem, not mine.

nisha punjabi
    June 29, 2011 at 8:20 am

I’m as confused as you. Somehow I’ve noticed that Indian, more so Hindus (!!)  put on least make up. I live in the Middle East where women wear burqas and the only visible part is their face. The amount of make up they apply is unbelievable. You would see them in washrooms of malls with their huge make-up kit redoing their eyeshadow. And then they wear sunglasses in the gym!

A Muslim friend recently delivered a baby. I went to see her in the hospital. Within 24 hrs, she had makeup on, wore a nice buckle in her hair, and had her party wear churidaar kurta on!! I havent seen a new mom out of her nighty – ever!
    And that’s why I say, Hindu’s use least make up!! I haven’t seen many Christians in make up either. But I cant comment much on that since I haven’t noticed many.

nisha punjabi
    June 29, 2011 at 8:20 am

BlueMist
    June 29, 2011 at 9:14 am

Is it something to do with low self esteem ?   I don’t think so. and I also don’t think it is attract attention. ( may be in some cases but not all ) It just that some woman like putting on make-up. I know a lot who apply lip stick even when they go out to buy veggies. I think it is more to do with this saas-bahu soap opera  where women seem to be fully decked up all the time  🙂
    and I am not one of them. 😀 I am in complete awe of people who have that skill of applying flaw less make up. Sadly I don’t know how.

BlueMist
    June 29, 2011 at 9:14 am

bookslifenmore
    June 29, 2011 at 9:43 am

Your post reminded me of the lady I met in gym. It was her 1st day in gym and she was all made up, was talking on phone, had a new track suit and the only thing that she had forgotten to buy was a Sport shoe 😐

As far as ur ques are concerned, I feel it is a matter of habit. A fren of mine was so habitual of applying a liner on her eye brows that when the infamous earthquake had struck here the 1st thing she did before jumping out of her house was making her eyebrows 😐 Now having known her for so many years I know that it isn’t a matter of self esteem or anything like that. It is just that “aadat hai”

bookslifenmore
    June 29, 2011 at 9:43 am

June 29, 2011 at 10:05 am

I do agree about the emphasis on perfection and it’s likely that these individuals are a bit more perfectionistic when it comes to their appearance compared to the rest of us. Lol at me being a normal human being. Thank god for that! 😛 And yes, we all look presentable and like to look nice…but I think we can do that without makeup most of the time.

June 29, 2011 at 10:05 am

Deepthi
    June 29, 2011 at 10:15 am

Even I don’t apply a lot of make up,just a bit now and then…As you said,I too  feel that most of  the  women apply make up to be more comfortable with themselves,may be  it makes them feel good about themselves,increase thier confidence levels or may be something like that…But I too don’t understand why some people do it all the time,may be they got used to being made up:-|…

Deepthi
    June 29, 2011 at 10:15 am

June 29, 2011 at 10:21 am

I remember seeing some Muslim women applying a great deal of make-up and I wonder how much of that it because they are all covered up and the face is the only part they actually show and hence they accentuate it the best way possible. But I haven’t noticed any other religious difference. I think it’s more of a personality thing. Sunglasses at the gym??? What the?! And that’s surprising what you said about your friend…I’m willing to bet the friend I mentioned may also do something similar…

June 29, 2011 at 10:21 am

Itisnu
    June 29, 2011 at 1:14 pm

ditto my thoughts PB: I love the way I look without any frills 🙂 Not that I don’t apply make up [lipstick and kajal only] but that is saved for occasions 🙂 But normally I love being into my original self,my natural skin 🙂

I noticed this sepcially in Delhi..people going down to fetch just veggies check themselves in the mirror,what are they wearing [matching and all that] and whether the slippers would match their outfit et al ! So much fuss just to go and fetch grocery/veggies right outside your house? too much work that 😉

Itisnu
    June 29, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Aathira Nair
    June 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Make up in the gym?? Wow.. Most times, I find it difficult to find time to apply make-up unless its  very much required.

Well.. I am not a gym goer, so wouldnt know much, but I am guessing the main reason must be that they use the gym as a pick up place. And I can vouch for Muslim women in the Middle East applying loads of makeup. They do look great that apart, they still apply a complete layer before stepping out of their homes.

Aathira Nair
    June 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Jake
    June 29, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I’ve noticed this within my family, before my sis got married she would always put on make up whenever she had to step out of the house. There was this one time when we were about to go running and she was putting on makeup, when I asked her what the point was she said it was just in case there were any cute guys around.

Years later she still does it even after getting married. I don’t know what it is, at first I used to think maybe its cuz I’m a guy I can’t relate to it, but then I ran into guys who do the same thing (not apply make up lol but try to look their best whenever they step out).

I don’t know if its a low self esteem thing or just a OCD, whatever it is its a little odd. But then who I am I to judge, I’m the guy who cant step out without his Ipod 🙂

Jake
    June 29, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Richa
    June 29, 2011 at 1:48 pm

There is another explanation. We have a gym in our office building and usually go there during lunch time. I do wear light makeup as part of formal wear. So I do have makeup on when I enter the gym. However, like you I sweat a lot so after taking shower, I usually re-apply the makeup before going back to work.

As for wearing makeup, I am not sure its as much about having low self esteem or not being comfortable with your self. Its more about looking your best. Like it or not, your first impression on other people is the way you dress (it is as true for men as it is for women). I would like to give a positive first impression especially in an office setting.

Richa
    June 29, 2011 at 1:48 pm

June 29, 2011 at 3:08 pm

not a make up person. but i do know people who do make sure they look their best before they step out (not to the gym or a grocery store, but in general otherwise)…and these people are the most confident of all i know..so i don’t think it’s low self esteem. it might just be that they like it that way. not sure… 🙂

June 29, 2011 at 3:08 pm

The Lover
    June 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Maybe they are all lesbians? 😛

Jokes apart, I think it’s a psychological thing. Women are expected to look beautiful and most have the perception that make-up enhances their beauty. I prefer women without make-up. There’s no shame in being the way God made you.

The Lover
    June 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Maybe they are all lesbians? 😛

Comfy
    June 29, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I am a no makeup person in my day to day life. The only time a lipstick or an eyeliner comes out is when I dress up for a formal event.
    On the other hand I have a friend who is always seen in full makeup (even a couple of hours after her baby was born). The one time I saw her without makeup she constantly cribbed about how bad her skin looked, how puffy her eyes were.
    I think in her case at least it is the case of when you apply nail polish for weeks and months and remove it, your nails have lost all their shime and look yellow. At which point you apply more nail polish to cover the yellow looking nails. Same way she is so used to being in full makeup that she does not like what she sees when she has no makeup on.

Comfy
    June 29, 2011 at 8:51 pm

June 30, 2011 at 7:24 am

Lol at the woman at the gym Smita! Hmm..habit…I suppose that does happen eventually. Your example makes sense. I guess in some people it’s about habit but others possibly it started as a self-esteem thing? Or preferring their appearance with make-up as opposed to without?

June 30, 2011 at 7:24 am

June 30, 2011 at 7:44 am

I’m sure it has something to do with confidence. I notice how different I feel when I dress for work or dress nicely to go out as compared to daggy clothes I wear when I go to the shops. It must be similar with the make-up. And yes, they probably do get used to being made-up as Smita also commented…

June 30, 2011 at 7:44 am

June 30, 2011 at 8:10 am

Hmm…makes you wonder whether the soaps have an influence on people too, eh Nu? And I agree with you — it’s a lot of work! Like I said, I prefer to sleep in than to waste time on applying a whole heap of make-up!

June 30, 2011 at 8:10 am

June 30, 2011 at 8:31 am

Hehe…it takes a lot of time doesn’t it? I do wonder whether some women and men use the gym as a place to pick up a member of the opposite sex. And hence, looking like me after a work out is probably not going to help! 😛 You know what Aathira…most women that seem to apply a lot of make up are quite attractive and it makes you wonder why they even need makeup in the first place…

June 30, 2011 at 8:31 am

June 30, 2011 at 8:44 am

Maybe it starts out as a pick-up strategy or a low self-esteem thing but then becomes a habit? Just going by one of the previous comments as well as the example of your sis. I guess we all have own thing in terms of habits…

June 30, 2011 at 8:44 am

June 30, 2011 at 9:02 am

I understand your explanation Richa re the gym but the women I’ve seen aren’t working out in their lunch hour. In terms of positive first impressions as well, you don’t always need makeup…I think the way we dress and carry ourselves has a lot of that too. It’d be different if we dressed in a daggy manner and had no make-up on and looked like we just got out of bed. And I guess first impressions at the office are one thing but women applying make-up just because they are leaving the house (whether it’s to go shopping or to buy groceries) is a bit of an overkill, don’t you reckon?

June 30, 2011 at 9:02 am

June 30, 2011 at 9:06 am

T, I make sure I look my best too before I go to work or go out to meet friends or go to a party and yes, I make sure I look remotely decent going to the shops too…but makeup all the time? I’m sure we all make sure we look our best before work. The only other thing I can think of is people equating make-up with looking presentable? Or habit as Smita said. But you know, it could have originated from low self-esteem or something…who knows?

June 30, 2011 at 9:06 am

June 30, 2011 at 9:08 am

Lesbians? How does that explain it? Even as a joke?

Yeah it possibly is something where women learn to equate looking presentable as applying a ton of make-up.

June 30, 2011 at 9:08 am

Lesbians? How does that explain it? Even as a joke?

June 30, 2011 at 9:17 am

Yeah…so it sounds like someone who got so used to applying make-up and seeing themselves that way, that they can’t stand to see themselves without it. But as you said, too much make up in itself is not good…and then, they are more likely to look like how they thought they were looking…not very good!

June 30, 2011 at 9:17 am

Richa
    June 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I guess you are right. I can’t be bothered to wear make up on my day off especially if I am going to workout in the gym or for grocery shopping. That does sound ridiculous.

Richa
    June 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm

D
    June 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I think looking made up all the time doesn’t make you look good.

D
    June 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I think looking made up all the time doesn’t make you look good.

Jake
    June 30, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Thats interesting, yeah maybe it is. You keep doing something so often that if for once you don’t you feel something is wrong. I feel the same way about my ipod, I recently tried to quit taking it out with me after I noticed influences of my fav bands creeping into music I write, it was like the hardest thing I’ve ever tried, felt uncomfortable when I didn’t have it with me.

*an OCD (I hate it when I mess up grammar and notice it later :-/)

Jake
    June 30, 2011 at 9:11 pm

*an OCD (I hate it when I mess up grammar and notice it later :-/)

July 1, 2011 at 12:02 am

Yeah, I guess I should have tried to make that point clear that my problem
    was not with make-up in general (given that I apply eyeliner and lipstick to
    work or going out for an occasion) but rather when there are people who
    actually cannot step out of the house without it. It may be that they are
    just going to the next street to visit a friend.

July 1, 2011 at 12:02 am

Yeah, I guess I should have tried to make that point clear that my problem
    was not with make-up in general (given that I apply eyeliner and lipstick to
    work or going out for an occasion) but rather when there are people who
    actually cannot step out of the house without it. It may be that they are
    just going to the next street to visit a friend.

July 1, 2011 at 12:02 am