Life

10 Day Challenge: Five foods

Ah food. One of my biggest loves. And I have to choose only five?? That’s so not on! But I thought of a sneaky way around it. I’m going to list my top five cuisine types and mention some of my favourite foods that are part of the cuisine. That way, I really get to indulge!

5. Desserts: Technically not a cuisine type I know. But I have a sweet tooth (thankfully not all the time!) and want to include it! I tend to enjoy anything with chocolate in it (dark or milk only…not a fan of white choc). So cakes and chocolate ice-creams and milkshakes are all part of this love. However, since coming to Australia, I’ve also tried desserts such as custard tarts and apple and berry crumbles and I love those! Not big on most Indian sweets but I enjoy the occasional jalebi or gulab jamun or peda.

4. Mexican: Nachos, tacos, enchilladas, burritos, quesadillas…yum, yum, yum. I’ve been to a Mexican restaurant probably only twice but I do enjoy preparing the food at home. I can make a wicked quesadilla thanks to a wonderful recipe book I have. R makes amazing nachos which are oh-so-good and oh-so-bad for you as well. I think I know what I’m craving for now…

3. Thai: I first had Thai food when I came here to Australia. My first dish was Pad Thai which I didn’t really enjoy as much. I almost washed my hands off Thai food. But luckily I tried it once again. And this time, I tried what is now my favourite — Green Curry. I also enjoy Chilli Basil noodles, Red curry, Mussamun curry and the curry puffs for entrees. I have made green and red curry at home and while the curry is good, it’s still not as great as some of the restaurants. I’ve also tried home-made Pad Thai and I find that I prefer it to the ones at the restaurants.

2. Lebanese: I am in love with Lebanese food! The kebabs, the lentil rice, the dips (hummus, baba ghanoush), lamb and chicken shawarma, falafels, kaftas, shish taouk…I could go on and on. I love the flavours and the spices. There are some restaurants in Sydney that serve the best Lebanese foods I’ve eaten…and they come recommended by some of my Lebanese friends and colleagues so you know they are amazing! I am in the process of trying to learn to cook some recipes at home. Fingers crossed I succeed.

1. Indian: Nothing beats Indian food for me (though Lebanese comes close…). I’ve generally preferred north Indian cuisine to south Indian though I do love my dosas, vadas, sambhar and chutney. I love chole and puris. Naan is amazing and something I look forward to when I go to restaurants. I absolutely adore pav bhaji, bhel puri, sev puri, pani puri and samosas. And of course, butter chicken, rogan josh, korma, paneer dishes, and vindaloo. I am happy to say I can cook some Indian dishes from scratch and do enjoy them. One thing I’ve realised is that Indian dishes may not look pretty or appetising, but the aromas and the flavours themselves tell you the real story.

So tell me, what foods do you enjoy? Any favourites? Any food you can’t live without?

Do share.

If you want to read the previous posts that are part of this challenge you can visit: Ten Secrets, Nine loves, Eight fears, Seven Wants, and Six places.

July 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm

ok now im hungry 😀 and i want vada pav or pav bhaji.

Lifesorchestra
    July 13, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I have a sweet tooth and just cant live without indian sweets … almost all from kheer, rasmalai, motichoor laddu, petha, barfi … but amongst foreign sweets … I think I can eat the Turkish sweet called Baklawa almost any time of the day. But the authentic one which just melts in your mouth 🙂

Comfy
    July 13, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I am drooling at the list here. I love them all. But just as you said nothing comes close to Indian food for me.

Now I want to get back home to the pot of Pav Bhaji I have sitting in the fridge. 😀

July 13, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I was so hungry when I wrote this post…longing for pav bhaji and lebanese
    and nachos… *drool*

July 13, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I do like Baklava but not in love with it…a bit too sweet for me and can
    therefore only have so much. I realise that I love sweets but not the extra
    extra sweet stuff!

July 13, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Ooh I am jealous…you have pav bhaji in the fridge! I’m going to have to
    attempt to make some soon. Writing this post made me so hungry Comfy…and
    craving for Indian and Lebanese food…

Nitya
    July 14, 2011 at 12:56 am

Thai, Indian, and Mediterranean are my favorite cuisines. I’m vegetarian so I can’t speak for the exotic meat dishes but even a simple home-made Mediterranean salad tastes so good! I like the occasional pasta but otherwise don’t crave Italian food as such. Mexican I’ll pass. Dessert – I love without bias. Anything and everything.

July 14, 2011 at 1:21 am

I’m keen on trying Greek at a proper Greek restaurant. I have eaten a few
    dishes when I worked with Greeks but would love to try more. Italian I’m
    like you…pasta is easy to make and I do prepare it often but definitely
    not something I crave. It’s not the top on the list when going out to eat
    that’s for sure!

Priyanka Victor
    July 14, 2011 at 2:47 am

Please tell me you forgot Italian?! 😛 Pizzas and pasta sometimes my reason to go on 😛 And what’s that picture of next to the gulab jamun… Raspberry crumble?

July 14, 2011 at 3:00 am

To be honest Priyanka, Italian doesn’t feature in my top 5…I like pastas &
    pizzas and they are easy to cook but when going out to restaurants, I rarely
    think ‘Italian’. And the pic next to the gulab jamun is apple berry
    crumble… having it with custard is the best!

soulmate
    July 14, 2011 at 4:29 am

I love FOOD, and that also GOOD FOOD…. Desserts – find it extremely difficult to resist.. On my first trip to UK, my friend made sure that I had a different dessert with all the meals. I am not even counting the additional ice-creams, muffins, cakes that went in between just as supplementary.. During my two weeks of stay, I did not repeat even a single dessert, still the variety was not over…
    I love to explore different cuisines – Lebanese, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Korean, South East Asian, French… Hardly ever eat Indian when I go out.. Indian food is made best at home… I am known to have a penchant and an eye for good food.. My family/friends trust me for my choice of good food.. :-))

July 14, 2011 at 5:57 am

I like Korean too…not a big fan of Chinese for some reason. Japanese isn’t
    too bad and neither is Vietnamese. But Indian food still rocks and there are
    a couple of places here I love to go to because my cooking isn’t that great!
    And yes, even in India, I’d love to go out and eat Indian food. Funnily
    enough, apart from Indian-chinese, I hadn’t really tried different cuisines
    until I came here to Australia!

July 14, 2011 at 5:57 am

Oh…and definitely need to go out with you for food! Even more disappointed
    now about not meeting up…

Susan Deborah
    July 14, 2011 at 8:12 am

I am yet to try Lebanese. The pictures look so inviting. Now that I’m cooking on a regular basis, food (eating and cooking) seems more appealing.  Do you cook as well, PB? I almost like whatever you like as well. Chocolate, any time!

Joy always,
    Susan

soulmate
    July 14, 2011 at 8:15 am

Like they say – there is always a next time, baby… Who knows… One day I may land up in Sydney or we may meet in Mumbai/Pune on your next trip to India… :-))

R.Bit
    July 14, 2011 at 8:49 am

Food is my religion and the love of my life too 😉 we have so many favourite foods in common too. Damn I’m hungry now.

July 14, 2011 at 9:07 am

Would highly recommend Lebanese food Susan. And yes, I do cook…except during the week it tends to get hectic so I’ll cook the easiest possible stuff. But weekends I enjoy cooking… 🙂

July 14, 2011 at 9:08 am

Yep, definitely! Some day… 😀

Bikram
    July 14, 2011 at 9:43 am

fooooooooooddd .. I am not choosy all food is welcome and I can eat it all 🙂

Bikram’s

July 14, 2011 at 11:02 am

Hehe, while I do try most foods at least once, I can still be a bit picky
    Bikram.

sidthegnome
    July 17, 2011 at 8:47 am

I think this is going to be the hardest one for me, too – I love food soooo much! I like that you’ve cheated a little and named cuisine rather than actual dishes, but I will have to list just “rice” on mine. Otherwise the list will be sushi, risotto, paella, fried rice, curry and rice.

July 17, 2011 at 9:21 pm

That was the only logical way around it for me! How in the world can a
    foodlover only choose 5 dishes from so many?? It’s madness! Looking forward