Life

10 Day Challenge: Nine Loves

My nine loves in no particular order are outlined in this post…

9. Work: Yes, I love my job. I love working. In fact, when I am on holidays, I start going stir-crazy in the second week. I think the maximum time I can take off is a week before I go nuts. I have also been thinking that if I ever have kids, and assuming the child is healthy, I reckon I will get back to work as soon as I can. I doubt I can take a year off work and remain sane. In case you were wondering, yes I am a workaholic. And I’m okay with being one!

8. Psychology: Closely related to the above, I love psychology [Even though I’m not as obsessed about it as R]. I am so glad I learnt it because I think it has helped me personally as well. Knowing the symptoms that are associated with the clinical disorders have been a bonus for someone with a tendency to get anxious and depressed. And it’s very interesting to learn how you can manage negative things in your life. Despite it not being an accurate science, I love the field!

7. The Beach: I absolutely love the beach! I am currently counting down to summer. I reckon I’m very fortunate to be living about a 10 minute drive from  a beach here. Almost every good weekend in summer sees me spending a couple of hours lying on the beach reading or sleeping and having a swim in the deliciously cold water. Oh summer…where art thou?

6. Coffee: No surprises there if you read my blog. I am a person who cannot start my day without my morning cuppa. I enjoy going out for a cup of coffee over the weekends (mostly with R) to have long talks about psychology and philosophy and other mundane stuff. Cups of coffee are also associated with interesting observations of fellow human beings. And of course, coffee reminds me of my uni days. Back when I would drink about 5 cups a day to be able to work on assignments late into the night. Now I’m glad to say, I have cut down to two cups.

5. Australia: Again, if you are a regular reader, this shouldn’t come as a surprise. I love Australia and all that it has to offer. I always wanted to come here and I’m so fortunate and grateful for being able to achieve that dream. And it has met my expectations. I continue to love my country and it’s beautiful beaches and nature and the people. I feel a sense of pride when I talk about Australia. And that’s why, there was no hesitation when it came to considering citizenship. I gladly revoked my Indian citizenship and took on the Australian one.

4. Reading: I cannot imagine a world without books. I dread the day when everything will become e-something. I love the feel of a book in my hands. I love being curled up on the couch or bed reading. I love getting into the characters’ heads and their lives. I love being in different worlds that are created by authors. I love thinking about the book after I’m done reading. What were the authors trying to say? What were the underlying themes and messages? What were the symbols and motifs? My love extends to reviewing books as well.

3. Adam Gilchrist: If you know me well enough, you were probably wondering when this would feature on the list. Yes, Gilly is definitely one of my loves. Even though I barely see him these days (I don’t follow IPL — it’s not cricket!) and only get to view him during the Perth games in summer, I still have fond memories of him. I can still remember the first game I watched with him playing. I hated him. Because he was going to steal Healy’s spot and because he was playnig as a batsman and dropped a few catches. But then, a few matches later, I found his attitude to be endearing and his playing to be fantastic. And I haven’t looked back since. He has been my idol for years and continues to be. All I can say is that he is as great in person as he comes across on the telly!
2. Family and friends: When I say family, I mean my immediate family comprising mum, dad and my sis. Despite the ups and downs with them in the past, I think we have all reached a stage where we get along well. I know I couldn’t do without my sister. Even though years ago I told her I wished I had an older brother. Now, I wouldn’t trade her for anything. And I’ve begun to appreciate my parents more since I’ve lived away from home and realise each day how much I am like them! As for my friends, well, they have made my life richer in so many ways. Most of my friends are very different to me and yet, there is a connection. I know I can depend on them when in need. Friends from school (AT, NC, SS, KG, JA), from college in Bombay (MB, JD, AR, MF, PS), friends here in Aus (R, CB, JC, NR, CN, AU, NC, BO) and of course, my blogging buddies — I thank my stars every day to have people like you all in my life.
1. Me-time: As much as I love my family and friends, I love having me-time. Time to spend by myself. It doesn’t matter if I’m watching telly alone, or blogging or reading or even just introspecting on life while cooking a meal for myself, I enjoy it all. These moments are very important to me. It’s not about ‘finding myself’ or anything like that. I just enjoy my own company and find it delightful to spend that time alone. Especially after a hectic work week and a social week, I appreciate the me-time even more.
So go on, tell me, what would be your nine loves?
And the next installment of this tag will be about my eight fears…

nidsitis
    July 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I love this post. Mostly cause its honest. Secondly cause I agree with a lot. (especially gilly and coffee) 😛

i love your blog. 🙂 Such a pleasure to read. 🙂

nidsitis
    July 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm

i love your blog. 🙂 Such a pleasure to read. 🙂

Jake
    July 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm

🙂 knew most of the stuff on here based on what I’ve read on your blog so far.
    Don’t know if I should bring this up (so apologies if its none of my business), something  that did throw me of a little was how you seemed to be really proud of the fact that you are an Australian citizen. Would you say that you are patriotic in that sense ?

Jake
    July 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm

🙂 knew most of the stuff on here based on what I’ve read on your blog so far.

July 1, 2011 at 2:43 pm

😀 I can easily identify with some from your list here 😀 If I end up doing the tag, I can just copy paste a few points 😛

July 1, 2011 at 2:43 pm

PA
    July 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Yep, I too love my me-time and Australia!

PA
    July 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Yep, I too love my me-time and Australia!

Richa
    July 1, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I was expecting to see cricket in the list. Guess it doesn’t make the top nine list then 😛

None of them came as surprise though, guess I have been reading your blog for a long time now. I know you now even though I don’t know you. If that makes sense. 🙂

Richa
    July 1, 2011 at 5:30 pm

July 2, 2011 at 10:28 am

Thanks Nids for the lovely comment about the blog! And with my loves, it was quite easy to be honest…much easier than the secrets… 🙂 And nice to know there’s another Gilly fan here! 😀

July 2, 2011 at 10:28 am

July 4, 2011 at 11:07 am

Yep, most of what I love isn’t a big secret if you read my blog! 🙂 I had to check the definition of patriotic so that I could answer your question accurately (after all, while growing up I was told I was unpatriotic for not supporting the Indian cricket team). I would say that I am a patriotic Aussie. I love the country and honestly, I feel this sense of patriotism that I never felt when I was in India. For instance, the national anthem gives me goosebumps and some speeches about the country do the same. Never happened in India.

July 4, 2011 at 11:07 am

July 4, 2011 at 11:08 am

🙂 Reading I know for a fact is there! 😀 And you really should do the tag T…

July 4, 2011 at 11:08 am

🙂 Reading I know for a fact is there! 😀 And you really should do the tag T…

July 4, 2011 at 11:09 am

Me-time is so important, isn’t it? I value the me-time I get. And yay for Australia… 🙂

July 4, 2011 at 11:09 am

July 4, 2011 at 11:10 am

Ah…cricket probably would have featured in this list even 5 years ago. Since the advent of T20, my interest has diminished a bit…but I still love my tests and ODI. Just not in the top 9 any more I suppose. And yes, makes total sense that you know me even though you don’t…I feel that way about so many bloggers I have been following regularly…including you. 🙂

July 4, 2011 at 11:10 am

Jake
    July 5, 2011 at 10:25 am

forget about what some nut tells you for not supporting a sport team ..rubbish …thats what it is .

I personally don’t believe in being patriotic to any country, and constantly argue with my sis about this.

As far as I am concerned we are all Africans (http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/jm-ledgard/exodus)
    and can’t find the logic in dividing ourselves.
    But thats just how I feel 🙂

Jake
    July 5, 2011 at 10:25 am

and can’t find the logic in dividing ourselves.
    But thats just how I feel 🙂

July 7, 2011 at 2:42 am

I’ m loving this 10-9-8.. tag 🙂

Nitya
    July 7, 2011 at 2:42 am

I’ m loving this 10-9-8.. tag 🙂

July 8, 2011 at 1:04 am

🙂 I’m having fun doing it too!

July 8, 2011 at 1:04 am

🙂 I’m having fun doing it too!