Books

Browsing through bookstores…

…is one of my favourite ways to pass the time. I tend to browse through the stores, note down names of books I like, and then buy them online. However, this weekend…today in fact, was a bit different.R and I went into the city and ended up going to Dymocks in the city which is a massive store! Given that Borders has now shut down here and Angus and Robertson don’t have big stores, we thought we’d do something different and rather than going to the local shops, have a day in the city. The weather was good for winter too and the hike to the city was enjoyable.

Once in Dymocks, I was in heaven. I think we ended up spending about 3 hours there including having a coffee and lunch at the Dymocks cafe.

So…do you think I spent 3 hours in a bookstore and walked away with just the names of books?

Nope. I caved.

I bought 5 books. There were a couple I bought which haven’t been available online (I’ve been looking for a long time!) And I managed to get one of the 5 free thanks to a 3 for the price of 2 offer. And now, I’ve just added to the books on my shelf that I have yet to read (There’s about 30 at the moment…). And I’m awaiting 4 more that I ordered online last week.

That’s it. No more books for me for the next 6 months. Or at least till I finish reading all the books on my bookshelf.

All in all, it was a good weekend. I slept in on both days and I bought books. And the weather was lovely.

What more can I ask for?

How about the rest of you? How has your weekend/long weekend been?

sidthegnome
    July 3, 2011 at 3:06 pm

When did A&R become so small? They used to be the big bookstore. I used to love spending ages in the big A&R in Hay st in Perth (which became a Borders after I left and is who knows what? now) just wishing I could afford to buy the books. And then I’d go to the library. Books are so expensive in Australia.

sidthegnome
    July 3, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Aathira Nair
    July 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Wow… 30 unread books 🙂 I have 5 and I think thats too much.
    I am planning to take up a library membership so that I get to read more without buying so many books.

Aathira Nair
    July 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Wow… 30 unread books 🙂 I have 5 and I think thats too much.

July 4, 2011 at 3:41 am

yesterday for 70 at the store. Who in their right minds would keep doing the
    latter?

July 4, 2011 at 3:42 am

Yeah Aathira, I’ve really gone overboard this time! I have a library
    membership but I still love owning certain books so I end up buying them
    online where they are a lot cheaper than the bookstores here. I’m probably
    at my weakest when it comes to buying books — a real sucker!

July 4, 2011 at 3:42 am

Yeah Aathira, I’ve really gone overboard this time! I have a library
    membership but I still love owning certain books so I end up buying them
    online where they are a lot cheaper than the bookstores here. I’m probably
    at my weakest when it comes to buying books — a real sucker!

soulmate
    July 4, 2011 at 5:09 am

Tell me about it.. I can never leave a book store without buying a book.. There is always some book or the other on my wish list.. Even if there is none on the wish list, I will still end up buying… Can spend an entire day in a book store and still not get enough of it… I guess books have therapeutic power in them..

soulmate
    July 4, 2011 at 5:09 am

July 4, 2011 at 6:15 am

My wish list is larger than the books I have on my booklist that I have yet
    to read. Sigh…I wish I had all the money in the world to buy books…and
    the time to actually read them all! I think I would find the latter easier
    of course! 🙂 As you say, they are therapeutic! Even just browsing through a
    book store is therapeutic for me personally…

July 4, 2011 at 6:15 am

My wish list is larger than the books I have on my booklist that I have yet
    to read. Sigh…I wish I had all the money in the world to buy books…and
    the time to actually read them all! I think I would find the latter easier
    of course! 🙂 As you say, they are therapeutic! Even just browsing through a
    book store is therapeutic for me personally…

July 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I love love love browsing through bookstores. And most of the times, if I spend enough time there, I am sure to buy a book or two.

Anyway, I had a nice relaxing long weekend. Maybe will write about it 🙂

July 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Anyway, I had a nice relaxing long weekend. Maybe will write about it 🙂

July 5, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I know you feel the same about bookstores T! It’s like being in a totally
    different world altogether, isn’t it? Looking forward to hearing about your
    weekend.

July 5, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I know you feel the same about bookstores T! It’s like being in a totally
    different world altogether, isn’t it? Looking forward to hearing about your
    weekend.

Nitya
    July 7, 2011 at 2:39 am

A) Agree that there is something magical about bookstores and books 🙂
    B) Who is this R? What am I missing?

Nitya
    July 7, 2011 at 2:39 am

A) Agree that there is something magical about bookstores and books 🙂
    B) Who is this R? What am I missing?

Itisnu
    July 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm

last week I too bought 3 books..shameless as I can get 😉 can’t give up on buying books ever 😀

Itisnu
    July 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm

July 8, 2011 at 1:04 am

Magical is the word! Will email you the rest…

July 8, 2011 at 1:04 am

Magical is the word! Will email you the rest…

July 8, 2011 at 3:00 am

Yeah, it’s really hard to give up on it, isn’t it? Although I’m strictly
    going to stop until I finish my current stack!

July 8, 2011 at 3:00 am

Yeah, it’s really hard to give up on it, isn’t it? Although I’m strictly
    going to stop until I finish my current stack!

Nitya