Life

Doppelgänger

I was the gym on Saturday working out when suddenly this lady started talking to me about how it was sometimes hard to get time to come and work out when you had chores. I politely made conversation too about working out and being busy and all of that.And then she asked me: So do you still work at such-and-such place?

I looked blankly at her and said I’d never worked there. In fact, I’d never worked in the local area (i.e. the suburb I live in) which is where she meant. Turns out she probably thought I was someone else and most likely had been thinking me as being rude previously for never talking to her.

Before you think she was someone from a background who thinks “all Indians/Pakistanis/Srilankans look alike”, she was from and Indian or Srilankan background herself.

So that theory of outgroup homogeneity or ingroup-outgroup bias is out the window.

Which then made me think — do I have a doppelganger around?

Do you ever wonder whether there is someone out there in the world who looks exactly like you? I remember some years ago, Femba girl told me she met someone in college who reminded her of me. However, I can’t remember whether it was in looks or behaviour or both.

I find myself thinking: is there someone out there who looks exactly like me. 5 feet tall, Indian ethnicity, plump, wearing glasses, brown eyes, long black hair. [I think I just described several people…] But jokes aside, is there someone who could be mistaken as my twin? And if so, what is their personality like? Are they introverted as well? Do they enjoy cricket, food, reading, blogging, or any other similar things? Do they think the same way about issues as I do? Are they in a similar line of work?

Through blogging, I have found a few people who freakishly think along the same lines as I do. Legal Alien is one. Honestly, she and I have freakishly similar thoughts. We both love Australia. We both love food. We both wrote similar posts back when the whole ‘racism’ fiasco was taking place. We also wrote similar posts recently about Fred Nile [mine and hers]. She is a journalist and when I initially took up Arts, it was with the plan of becoming one. Mind you, we have never met. I can assure you though, we look nothing alike. She is way skinnier than yours truly! 🙂

Then there is Titaxy. We both seem quite similar too. Similar interests [reading!!!] Similar attitude to shopping, jewellry, fashion, make-up [not really into it!] Both like Australia and Australian cricket [Even though she no longer follows the game living in the US of A] In terms of appearances, I don’t really know whether we are similar or not because I haven’t actually seen any picture of hers.

I also wonder if there is also someone out there who may look exactly like me but is the total opposite in that they are extroverted, a party person, totally irresponsible, very immature and living each day as it comes. And of course, not at all anxious and neurotic like yours truly! I think I would like to meet them. Not because I think I am missing out on something. But because I am curious.

How freaky would it be though, to encounter someone exactly like you? Whether in looks or personality.

Have you had any doppelganger stories you would like to share?

Have you met your doppelganger?

What would you do if you were to meet your doppelganger?

Go on, tell us!

priyankavictor
    August 22, 2011 at 11:50 am

Nope. But ever since I saw the movie I always wanted to meet someone who’s exactly like me. The I can find out if it freaks me out or excites me…

priyankavictor
    August 22, 2011 at 11:50 am

Richa
    August 22, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Happens to me all the time both in India and abroad. Somehow most of them confuse me with someone else who has skin tone as dark as me and have straight hairs. It doesn’t matter that we don’t look anything like each other.

I have now become very skeptic when someone tells me that they know someone who look exactly like me since it usually ends up with another girl with dark skin and straight hairs. It cheeses me off.

but I agree about someone being your doppleganger in thoughts. There are so many times while reading a blog I am nodding my head and thinking that I could have written that post myself. Its always nice to meet a thought-doppleganger instead of a physical one.

Richa
    August 22, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Jake
    August 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Although I am firm believer in what Roger Walters once wrote “All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be”, I also think personality traits are dependent on genetic makeup also (I don’t have any proof for this), think about it, if physical traits are a direct result of genetic make up, then so has to be personality traits and intelligence. And although the primary principal of darwanian evolution is plenty of variations via random mutation, I think its inevitable that quiet a few similar makeups are going to be present. Ergo you are right, people with similar personalities/appearances are quiet possible.
    I’ve never met anyone similar to me though , at least not with the exact same traits.

Jake
    August 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Lazy Pineapple
    August 23, 2011 at 4:51 am

I have heard that too from so many people..but I feel each one of us is unique..we might have some resemblance to other people but our experiences and environment makes all of us different..

Lazy Pineapple
    August 23, 2011 at 4:51 am

Prateek Gupta
    August 23, 2011 at 9:13 am

Lol interesting post but I don’t think so I will have some Doppleganger… I am a unique of my kind 😀

Prateek Gupta
    August 23, 2011 at 9:13 am

August 23, 2011 at 10:30 am

Either way, Priyanka, it would be weird, wouldn’t it? Whether it excites you or freaks you out, it’d be like being in twilight zone or something. At least that’s how I imagine it… 😛

August 23, 2011 at 10:30 am

August 23, 2011 at 10:33 am

The only time I heard about the possible doppleganger was from a friend back in India…and she was a good friend who knew me well enough to not just say something like this lady at the gym did. But I agree Richa, sometimes, people may look at a few features and say you look like someone. It would be nice to meet a thought-doppleganger compared to a look-alike because with the latter there is a chance of them being crazy and taking over your life! [Okay…so maybe I watch too many movies!]

August 23, 2011 at 10:33 am

August 23, 2011 at 10:53 am

I think there is enough of nature v nurture debates re personality just as it is with intelligence. I think similar to intelligence, there is a 50-50 element to it. So yeah, that would along with random mutation as you said make similar appearances and traits very much plausible!

August 23, 2011 at 10:53 am

August 23, 2011 at 10:54 am

I guess there may be dopplegangers in terms of looks LP but personalities may be different…it would be a bit too freaky if personalities and looks were exactly alike. Then it would probably be more likely to be a case of long-lost identical twins! 😛

August 23, 2011 at 10:54 am

August 23, 2011 at 10:54 am

Haha…good one Prats! Oh-so-unique, that dopplegangers not possible…and I guess if you were to find one, it’s probably a long lost twin who got lost at the local fair! 😛

August 23, 2011 at 10:54 am

August 23, 2011 at 2:03 pm

lol…i had written about this too, i think…there was a couple of times people have asked me if i were at this particular place the previous day while i was no where near..and they said they saw someone just like me. one of those times it was a close close friend who said that…so i am guessing he knew for sure that the other person looked like me 🙂

August 23, 2011 at 2:03 pm

nidsitis
    August 23, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I want to meet my doppleganger. I might have met my almost dopplegangers way too often. in terms of personality. 😀 😀 Awesome post!! 😀 Love it 🙂

nidsitis
    August 23, 2011 at 5:21 pm

R.Bit
    August 23, 2011 at 10:01 pm

haha you are my virtual doppelganger for sure! 😉 Your post reminded me of How I Met Your Mother where everyone in the gang finds their doppelganger and then Barney pretends to be his own. Anyway, that’s really interesting. I have never been told I look exactly like someone else…but I’ve often wondered what it would be like to meet someone who looks like another version of me. I have been told though that I am a dead ringer for my mum
    when she was in her twenties…

R.Bit
    August 23, 2011 at 10:01 pm

when she was in her twenties…

August 24, 2011 at 11:15 pm

You’ve written about this too? Damn…I must have missed that one. Although admittedly, my memory is not so great so I could have read it and still forgotten. Sounds like you have a doppleganger… 😀

August 24, 2011 at 11:15 pm

August 24, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I think Nids it’s more likely for us to meet our personality-doppelgangers than the actual ones…but I bet it would be freaky! Gald you enjoyed the post… 🙂

August 24, 2011 at 11:16 pm