Life

The Evil One

Ever wished someone dead? Like really, really dead? Not just in anger or frustration saying “I wish you were dead!” but rather an ongoing longing and counting down.

I have.

Just one person. For almost a decade now.

My paternal grandmother.

Yes, regular readers will have heard me whinge about her often. And new readers may think I’m callous and cold. But honest, if you knew her, you’d feel the same.

This is a woman who treated her own daughter like crap. Because she was a girl.

This is the woman who was verbally and physically abusive towards her husband when he was frail. She would hit him and call him a loser and say he wasn’t a man.

This is the woman who openly favours her older son and thinks he can do no wrong despite him living miles away from her and only visiting once every three or four years.

This is the woman who says negative things about every single person apart from that oldest son of hers [and no, I’m not exaggerating] and then wonders why people don’t visit her often.

This is the woman who has never once smiled [since I’ve been alive at least].

This is the woman who treats my mother like shit and finds fault with everything every single day and expects my father to be at her beck and call and who loathes me because I look like my mother but loves my sister because she looks like my uncle [her favoured son, remember?] and father.

This is the woman who despite living with my parents for 12 years and being a burden on them doesn’t remember their birthdays or anniversary but will remember her favoured son’s birthday and anniversary.

This is the woman who would give an Oscar-winning actor a run for their money given the way she acts like an invalid in front of my father but the minute he goes to work, she is all better.

This is the woman who lies through her teeth and then states she doesn’t lie.

This is the woman who thinks everything has to be about her and brags about how great the family line is.

This is the woman who makes negative comments on the dark skin of my mother and me and praises the lighter skin of her sons and the favoured son’s wife.

This is the woman who blames my maternal grandmother for apparently putting ideas of standing up to her into my mother’s head in the last 5 years [and I ask, why did she wait for 25 years if that was the case???].

This is the woman who has always given away saris my parents have bought for her to others and always complained that there was something wrong with it. But at the same time will brag about what her favoured son brings her from America [which is by the way, a sari].

This is the woman who created a hue and cry because my father thought of going away for a couple of weeks on holidays [after almost 10 years of no break] with my mother and sister.

This is the woman who is narcissistic. So much so when my mother’s bypass surgery was scheduled, she asked my sister that since she was going out [i.e. to the hospital] could she please exchange a sari that was bought for her?

Why am I writing this now?

Because I am worried about my parents. I don’t give a shit that the grandmother hates me because the feeling is and always has been mutual. It has never been about me. Probably because I was the only one standing up to her and her narcissistic ways.

The sad thing is my dad still doesn’t stand up to her. And it pains me to see how they have aged. My mum had to undergo a bypass surgery thanks to the stress this woman creates. After all, my mum was fit and healthy and no cholesterol problems were found. But 12 years of putting up with this woman has its effects.

For my mum it was her heart. For my dad, I don’t know. He has been having a fever lately and it hasn’t gone away yet. Because he hasn’t had time to recuperate. The grandmother too got a fever and expects him to still tend to her despite his own illness. And even though they have got some help for her, she wants it to be my parents answering her every beck and call. How is my dad supposed to get better?

What about the rest of the family, I hear you ask.

Well, they are fucked up too. They all suck up to her (read: my cousins and their families) only because they want the money after she dies. But when it comes to actually helping out at a time like this, no one wants to take responsibility.

I hear from my sister that my mum has lost weight again in the last month. She looked healthy when I was there back in June. The two times I have visited India after moving here I notice my parents looking older but the grandmother always looks all right. In fact, she seems to get fatter every time I visit. And apart from slow motor movements and slight loss of hearing which comes with old age, she is a healthy woman. My dad on the other hand looks older than his 60 years. [A friend of mine who visited after 6 years noticed it too] And mum, well, the fact that she had a bypass surgery at 52 should tell you the story.

I feel helpless. Talking to the grandmother doesn’t help. Everyone has tried it…more so after mum’s surgery…telling her she should leave and live with her favoured son. But she refuses [because his wife works and so there will be no one home to be at her beck and call] and her favoured son makes excuses to not have her too.

I am scared that one of my parents [or both] will die before the evil one dies. But I keep longing for the grandmother to die.

I used to joke with my sister — neither god in heaven nor the devil in hell want the grandmother. And so they decided to keep her on earth.

Now I’m scared it might just be true. She is that evil. That narcissistic. That self-involved. With a cutting tongue. That can never say anything positive about anyone apart from her heritage and her favoured son.

I really, really want the grandmother to die. Not because I give a damn about what she has in her will or any such stupid stuff. But because that is the only way my parents are going to have some peace without dying themselves.

Just felt like I had to vent about this. All of this.

And please, don’t bother making excuses for the grandmother…I could write a much longer post to prove to you just how twisted and vindictive and well, evil she is. But I don’t want to give her more space on this blog than I just have.

Priyanka Victor
    August 6, 2011 at 5:01 am

I’m glad all that is out, carrying around all of it will make YOU ill.
    And I GET exactly what you are trying to say.

We can’t do much about a situation like this except hope that there is justice in the world and a God above.

Priyanka Victor
    August 6, 2011 at 5:01 am

I’m glad all that is out, carrying around all of it will make YOU ill.
    And I GET exactly what you are trying to say.

Prateek Gupta
    August 6, 2011 at 5:34 am

Sounds like an unsolvable problem, I hope you felt better after putting it out on the blog.
    Frankly speaking there are people and more than one which I feel that they die and I don’t feel there is anything wrong with it

Prateek Gupta
    August 6, 2011 at 5:34 am

August 6, 2011 at 6:15 am

Thanks for the words of support Peevee…appreciate it. And yes, the only hope is that justice eventually prevails.

August 6, 2011 at 6:15 am

August 6, 2011 at 6:17 am

It does seem unsolvable Prats! I’ve battled with it for years to no avail. Not much can be done other than wishing for a sooner death. And you know what? You’ve managed to validate me by saying you’ve wished for people to die…for some reason when I used to mention this to my friends years ago, they are shocked.

August 6, 2011 at 6:17 am

Maddie
    August 6, 2011 at 10:01 am

I understand what you are talking about. I have one such person in my family. Can you not put her in an old age home or something? Or better yet, bring your parents to Australia. I know you must have given though to these but unless you remove her from the scene or change the environment around your parents, things are not going to change. Such people are vicious and I wonder how God gives them the strenght and will to live such a long life. Even if they are sick, unwell or dependent then make your life a living hell.

Maddie
    August 6, 2011 at 10:01 am

Nishita
    August 6, 2011 at 10:43 am

Just came to your blog today for the first time. Sorry to read about this. Your post is so heartfelt one can only feel for you.

However, it might be better for your parents health to take a firm stand against this rather than swallowing their frustration and unhappiness, causing them to lose their health.

Easier said than done however 🙁

Nishita
    August 6, 2011 at 10:43 am

Easier said than done however 🙁

Jake
    August 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Ok I can see why you hate her now …I mean I got only half way through the list and felt sick , the way I usually feel after I see a picture of the pope somewhere.
    She actually reminds me a lot of both my maternal and paternal grandmothers,
    they were always nice to me but I used to constantly hear horror stories about them. For example I’ve heard that my dad’s mom never liked my mom cuz my dad refused to take any dowry from her parents.

To our generation dowry is something disgusting and demeaning. But as you move backwards it seems perfectly acceptable and more importantly the norm.  I think it has a lot to do with literacy levels and the ability to think critically.
    When I look around, I almost always find that people who are illiterate and ignorant always tend to be more irrational and make decisions based on the way they “feel”.

Jake
    August 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

She actually reminds me a lot of both my maternal and paternal grandmothers,

Shirinmehrotra
    August 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I’ll pray for that…if thts what u really want….dnt care how much ever evil tht sounds. and hey, I totally relate to ur post. I’ve got similar problem at my home, although not as grave as yours yet pretty much the same. Grandmother making my parents life a living hell and since me and my two sisters are in different city we can’t do much abt it.

Shirinmehrotra
    August 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

August 7, 2011 at 1:58 am

Maddie, the old age home option is one which I’m trying to convince my parents about. Unfortunately them coming here can’t happen now because mum can’t travel and dad still has work there. Sigh…sounds like every family has at least someone like this though…

August 7, 2011 at 1:58 am

August 7, 2011 at 2:00 am

Welcome here Nishita! I totally agree with you that it would be better for my parents’ health to not bottle things up. I think my mum learnt that the hard way and no longer panders to everything the evil woman says…but my dad sadly is not so firm possibly because of the weird belief of respecting your elders no matter what!

August 7, 2011 at 2:00 am

August 7, 2011 at 2:05 am

Why are they always the grandmothers? :-/ And yes, usually there is some bizarre reason for them to not like the daughter-in-law and in my mum’s case it could be that she is dark skinned compared to my uncle’s wife. Who knows? I totally agree that lack of education makes them think in this manner. She thinks that just because she’s elderly, she has to be respected without realising that respect needs to be earned and that being such a horrible person makes it hard for people to respect her.

August 7, 2011 at 2:05 am

phyllis-daa-writterr
    August 7, 2011 at 5:49 am

wow.. i wonder what upbringing she had to cause her to be such a woman full of hatred?? i feel for you and im glad i read it! just browsing around Google and i found you

thanks!

phyllis-daa-writterr
    August 7, 2011 at 5:49 am

thanks!

August 7, 2011 at 5:53 am

Welcome here Shirin! Glad you can understand what it’s like…sounds like your parents too are struggling. It’s one thing to look after the elderly but totally different when they make it so much harder to do so by an obnoxious attitude like my grandmother.

August 7, 2011 at 5:53 am

August 7, 2011 at 6:15 am

Welcome here Phyllis! I did wonder about what kind of upbringing she might have had and I would think it was difficult given that she was a girl and girls were valued even less in her time. But having said that, I still felt it wasn’t an excuse for her to treat others the way she did…there are many people in this world who have shitty childhoods and not all let that define their lives.

August 7, 2011 at 6:15 am

nidsitis
    August 7, 2011 at 11:16 am

You know what I like about this post? You didn’t cringe to voice these feelings in public. That was enough for me to believe everything you said. Otherwise people who feel hatred usually hide behind their excuses. 🙂

I wish you and your family peace from all this. Soon.

nidsitis
    August 7, 2011 at 11:16 am

I wish you and your family peace from all this. Soon.

Soulmate
    August 7, 2011 at 2:22 pm

this really sounds like a vicious circle… hope you find a solution… take care PB…

Soulmate
    August 7, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Deepthi
    August 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Oh My God,That’s  Ridiculous!!! Hope your parents would find out a way to be peaceful soon…

Deepthi
    August 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm

August 7, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Y’know what Nids? After publishing it I started having doubts about sharing so much…doubt I’ve shared this much but I was frustrated and felt helpless…thanks for the best wishes!

August 7, 2011 at 9:45 pm

August 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Thanks Soul…it really is a vicious cycle and there seems to be no way out for my parents…

August 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm

August 7, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I hope so too Deepthi…I think my parents have done their duty for twelve years and it’s about time my uncle took responsibility and the grandma got off her high horse!

August 7, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Adayinlifeofmom
    August 8, 2011 at 2:26 am

I am sorry to hear about all this…
    I also have such relatives (paternal), I understand how much stress your grandmother is causing..
    I hope things would be better soon…

Adayinlifeofmom
    August 8, 2011 at 2:26 am

I am sorry to hear about all this…
    I hope things would be better soon…

August 8, 2011 at 2:41 am

Welcome to this space Adayinlifeofmom! Thanks for your supportive comment…I’ve often wondered why these relatives tend to be on the paternal side. Hope things aren’t too stressful for you. Take care and do keep visiting!

August 8, 2011 at 2:41 am

Avada Kedavra
    August 11, 2011 at 4:28 am

this is exactly (100%) how I feel about my paternal grandmother. You wont believe that I actually pray that she must die soon. Because she has not even once, treated me like her granddaughter, even though I am the only granddaughter she has. All the others are grandsons. I hate her and hate the fact that my father does everything he can to keep her happy!

Avada Kedavra
    August 11, 2011 at 4:28 am

August 11, 2011 at 6:18 am

Ah Ava, it’s so good to see someone else understanding exactly what it’s like. Like you, we pray for the grandmother to die as well. Because ultimately, that’s the only way there will be peace in the household. And yes, like you my grandmother has never treated me like her granddaughter either but has preferred my sister, my female cousin and all my male cousins over me. I truly believe that the evil ones live a longer life because they are meant to suffer…but sadly, as a consequence, the longer they live, the more others (like your parents and you, or my parents and sis) all end up suffering more!

August 11, 2011 at 6:18 am

Swaram
    August 14, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Well, they always say ‘Papi chirayu’ – the evil will live long 🙁 I think u r rt abt them nt being wanted in heaven or hell!
    Hugss and  I hope ur Dad, Mom and sis find the strength to stand up to her too!

Swaram
    August 14, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Hugss and  I hope ur Dad, Mom and sis find the strength to stand up to her too!

August 14, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I have heard that before…those who are horrible during their lives will live longer in order to suffer for their sins…problem is it results in others suffering too. Thanks for the wishes Swar!

August 14, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Pradeeta Mishra
    November 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Honey, I totally understand. My grandmother (paternal) hates me because I am a girl, overweight and a lawyer in the making. My maternal gran died and I am so sore, my paternal gran called up and laughed saying, “What can your mum do? After all there is a difference between son and daughter. For a sec, I wished I could say, fuck off. I just shut up.

Pradeeta Mishra
    November 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm

November 8, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Welcome here Pradeeta! Your paternal grandmother sounds like a nightmare…why do they do that? Why are they so biased towards sons? Aren’t they women too? I just don’t understand it. I totally feel for you…how could she say such a thing when your maternal grandma passed away?! It’s a shame that you had to shut up but I realise that sometimes saying things (like I have) makes matters worse…

November 8, 2011 at 10:26 pm

RESTLESS
    November 10, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Just read this… after reading that she is no more…u had been very honest and very forthright and expressing ur mind about her…. I appreciate that.

RESTLESS
    November 10, 2011 at 2:07 pm

November 12, 2011 at 5:29 am

Thanks Restless…I know it may sound quite callous to some people but there was no love between her and me…and I think the way she treated my mum in the last year just made things a zillion times worse…

November 12, 2011 at 5:29 am

Pradeeta Mishra
    November 12, 2011 at 5:50 am

True. For my father, who is his Mother’s son, I couldn’t risk it.

Blessed Be!

Pradeeta Mishra
    November 12, 2011 at 5:50 am

True. For my father, who is his Mother’s son, I couldn’t risk it.

Blessed Be!

November 12, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I agree…we decide to act in certain ways to spare others in some ways, don’t we? Thanks for leaving your link…

November 12, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Sowmya
    October 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Same case. My mother couldnt meet her family people for past 15 years coz my grand ma twisted facts and created a rift bwn my dad and my mom’s family. I’ve been treated in the worst possible/abusive manner by grandma and her adopted grandson….GM complains abt me and mom every time dad returns back from Delhi (once in 3 mths)… I will never forget those whips. For 15 years, my dad was working in Delhi and mom in chennai, taking care of joint family,with all evil people. Added to this is a bastard.Aunt’s son who not an orphan Cleverly preferred to stay with us since his childhood since GM like him so much, she wanted my dad to take care. That bastard’s mom and dad,so wicked, allowed him to stay with us for past 25 years…all his expenses schooling, food etc were taken care by my dad.and the moment he started earning they took him. Devil left us.. I’ve seen all kind of worst relationships and i have no faith whatsoever on people now. This is just a ultra compressed version. I hate people. I hate people, I hate people.

Sowmya
    October 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm

shail
    October 25, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Whoa! She deserves a place in the evil MIL post of mine!

October 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Totally Shail!!! She would probably win an award for it…

shail
    October 25, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Whoa! She deserves a place in the evil MIL post of mine!

October 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Totally Shail!!! She would probably win an award for it…

Thoughts on Grandpa | Over Cups of Coffee
    March 27, 2014 at 6:00 am

[…] hold a special place in most children’s hearts. Well, most of them. You already know I hated one. As a child, I was especially close to my mum’s parents. Probably because for a couple of years […]

Thoughts on Grandpa | Over Cups of Coffee