Soapbox Issues

Telemarketing Troubles

I hate telemarketers. With a passion.

I hate that they try to sell you stuff you don’t want.

I hate that they call at weird hours. Like 7 p.m. at night when you are having dinner. Or 1 p.m. on a Saturday when you are relaxing. Or at any bloody time during the day.

I hate that they don’t actually listen to you when you say you are not interested.

And I especially hate it when they call me ‘Mrs‘ Lastname.

Yesterday, I had a telemarketer who went to an extreme that almost made me want to swear at her on the phone. And while I am usually firm and assertive, I have never been this rude to someone.

It was 1 p.m. Saturday arvo. The phone rings. I like an idiot answer it instead of just letting it go to the answering machine. The following is a gist of the conversation once I answered.

Telemarketer lady (with an Indian accent and pronouncing my last name perfectly): Good morning Mrs Lastname!

Me: Look, I’m not interested in whatever you have to offer me. [Because, anyone who knows me, doesn’t say Mrs…it’s obviously a telemarketer]

Telemarketer: But madam, you don’t even know what I have to offer.

Me: I’m tired of you people calling to try and sell me stuff. I’m just not interested.

Telemarketer: What do you mean madam? You don’t even know what I am calling you about.

Me: I don’t care what you are calling about because I’m not interested. And I’m really tired of having telemarketers from India calling me at all odd hours trying to sell me things.

Telemarketer: What do you mean by that?

Me: Well, all the telemarketers call from call centres in India trying to sell me stuff on Telstra and Vodafone and I have had enough of it!

Telemarketer: And where are you from Mrs Lastname?

Me: I’m from Australia… (Remember, I have an Australian accent)

Telemarketer: C’mon madam…

Me: I’m Australian

Telemarketer: Don’t lie Mrs Lastname.

Me (seeing red by now and on the verge of using abusive language): I am an Australian citizen and just because I am of Indian ethnicity doesn’t make me un-Australian. For your information, Australia is a multicultural country…

Telemarketer hangs up.

I don’t think I’ve ever been this angry after a call from a telemarketer. True, I have been frustrated with their tactics but never on the point of abusing someone. Part of me wishes I had abused her prior to her hanging up. Did she really think she could make a sale by calling me a liar? And do they keep calling me because of my last name thinking they can make a sale by working the Indian angle?

I hate telemarketers.

And after ranting to my friends, I found out about the Do Not Call register and have put myself on it.

Woe betide any telemarketer who calls me until that is activated. I am going to take out my frustration from Saturday-lady for sure.

Prateek
    October 16, 2011 at 7:06 am

I too share the same opinion but telemarketing people are made to do it. Call at ugly hours and persuade us to buy their goods. Can’t really blame them.

Prateek
    October 16, 2011 at 7:06 am

October 16, 2011 at 7:20 am

Prateek…I think they choose to work in the industry so in that case, they lack the morals and ethics too. I understand that management make them behave like this, but at the same time, a certain personality type has to agree to do it. It’s like the media nowadays…there are people who do anything for ratings as per management requests but they have to lack their own morals and ethics to be so sensationalistic. I do think people have a choice. And telemarketers harrass people.

October 16, 2011 at 7:20 am

R.Bit
    October 16, 2011 at 10:35 am

I was having this conversation with someone today. They ring me from Optus telling me I need to buy a calling card to ring India. I politely told them the first time I don’t ring India and I have Skype if I need to but they wouldn’t stop calling. I *hate* that they think just because I have an Indian last name I need their caling card. Argh! I feel you PB.

R.Bit
    October 16, 2011 at 10:35 am

Vishnu
    October 16, 2011 at 2:59 pm

hi PB – this is an interesting take on people that are doing their daily work. I think telemarketers are just doing their job. It’s their source of income and probably what they’re doing til they can get another job. Telemarketers are people too:) Sometimes being nice to these people can truly make their day. Of course in this case, if the lady was calling you a liar, that’s crossing the lines!

Vishnu
    October 16, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Ruchi
    October 16, 2011 at 3:14 pm

nice…

Ruchi
    October 16, 2011 at 3:14 pm

nice…

October 17, 2011 at 3:01 am

sigh. hope no one calls until the Do Not Call List is activated.

October 17, 2011 at 3:01 am

sigh. hope no one calls until the Do Not Call List is activated.

Prats
    October 17, 2011 at 5:51 am

I am sorry but I disagree with you a bit on this, firstly I agree the telemarketers are a menace I agree.
    But then that is their job, and it is not an easy one… They make calls through out the day and most of the times people simply hangup on them or blast them. From where I see it is a pretty stressful job. Very frankly nobody likes to do these kind of jobs… I don’t think so I heard a kid saying in his full enthusiasm saying I would become a telemarketer. People take up these jobs out of compulsion, lack of choices and opportunities. Its not a career opportunity that happens by choice, and I am sorry to say in the part of the world I live in morals and ethics are far too expensive luxuries to have for a poor person when he/she has a family to cater to.

Also I think the telemarketer has the right to call you as you were not registered in DND and she wasn’t calling at odd hours. So she wasn’t ethically or morally wrong; she was just doing her job, as we all do ours.

Secondly I my heart cringed a bit on reading “I am an Australian citizen and just because I am of Indian ethnicity doesn’t make me un-Australian. For your information, Australia is a multicultural country…”
    I am sorry but I might be being a bit judgmental here but is it easy for you to let go your ethnic country, I always thought that would be something very difficult to do. I think the lady’s reaction was over the top when she said “Don’t Lie” but from where I stand I think changing your country is not like changing clothes or the cover of your passport, and someone being so detached who shared my country once and now would be so detached is hard to believe and imagine

Prats
    October 17, 2011 at 5:51 am

Bikram
    October 17, 2011 at 10:09 am

I hate them too.. I have been getting some calls from some indian call centre asking me to take up some Loan because they are providing a low rate, I said I dont need any loan, He says Why dont i when the interest rate is so low…

I mean what audacity I dont need one .. dont they hear it

Bikram
    October 17, 2011 at 10:09 am

I mean what audacity I dont need one .. dont they hear it

nidsitis
    October 17, 2011 at 11:44 am

Your post itself made me sooooooooooooo angry!! ARGH! I hate them too. I have even messages on DND now. Idiots.
    I wish you had yelled at her. She deserved it. Stupid jerk. :

nidsitis
    October 17, 2011 at 11:44 am

I wish you had yelled at her. She deserved it. Stupid jerk. :

TheGirlAtFirstAvenue
    October 17, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I totally know what you mean! I am getting batter at handling them now. Sometimes I just cut the line when they refuse to put down the phone. I agree its their job but some of them are so rude and annoying… there are better ways of doing your job, like by being polite for starters!!!
    You should have screamed at her… what does she think of herself calling you a liar?

TheGirlAtFirstAvenue
    October 17, 2011 at 1:52 pm

adayinlifeofmom
    October 17, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I hope DNC works for you, it doesn’t work for me..I keep getting calls afterwards as well…polite requests doesn’t work and that’s when I dare them to call once again and I would register a complaint against their company… this threat does work….

adayinlifeofmom
    October 17, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Raindrop
    October 18, 2011 at 4:51 am

Have had a horrible time on weekends due to telemarketers. And this, despite being on the Do not call registry. Thankfully the government woke up and now they have fixed the loopholes of the DNC registry. Life has been peaceful over the last few days 🙂

Raindrop
    October 18, 2011 at 4:51 am

Scribby
    October 18, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I’ve shared one of the incidents on the blog last year I hope read that!

these are some creatures that I get pissed of with too. And some go to the extent of redialing your number even when the first time you’ve clearly mentioned that you’re not interested! Sigh…

these days when I get to know who is at the other side I simply say wrong number 😛

Scribby
    October 18, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I’ve shared one of the incidents on the blog last year I hope read that!

Jake
    October 19, 2011 at 9:07 am

I have mixed opinions about this, which is why I was not sure I should write a comment at first, the last thing I want to do is piss someone off with my opinions about race and ethnicity cuz quiet frankly I have not met a single person who shares my opinion on the subject.

– First of, the tele marketer was waaaaaaaay out of line after you told her you are not going to buy anything. Thats where the conversation should have ended, but what did that idiot do ?, get into an argument with you about a really sensitive subject. All calls to customers are recorded and monitored and there is no doubt she would have got a warning or memo about her behavior.

– Ok now for the sour grapes, whenever I am asked what I am by someone (be it to enquire about my race, religion, political ideology  or any of the million other divisions human beings use to segregate ourselves even further) I usually reply saying “Homo-sapien”. Sometimes this is followed by a “No no, I meant where are you from ?”, and I say “Africa”. The response I get for it depends on how educated/Ignorant the person I am talking to is. But regardless, that is what I believe, and I don’t mean believe like “I believe in a god” or “I believe in ghosts”, its the SCIENTIFIC TRUTH. Its a really delicate topic and I usually get into really heated arguments with my sister and dad about it and they constantly criticise me saying I am an un-patriotic un-greatful wheasle. And I AGREE, I don’t like the concept of patriotisum or any of the other ideas that have popped out of the human mind that creates division. Why ? cuz division creates tension, and the tension leads to violence. You can’t just sit back and say “no no people are sensible”, its just NOT TRUE, the majority of us are stupid, shallow and naieve, don’t take my word for it I have proof,write down every single war/conflict that has ever occurred in our history and count the no of ones that were faught in the name of race/religion/patrioutisum. Most people ask me, so why not be moderately-patriotic, for god sake thats how it starts, -lets just declare borders for cultural reasons-lets just keep ourselves divided for religious tolerance – we need to have a sense of roots. The next thing you know you are killing each other for “moderate-patriotism”, NONE of the other 10 million species on this planet inflict harm on each each other in the way that we do over it, and you know whats Ironic ???? we are the most intelligent.I’ll finish with one my favorite quotes “I am a citizen not of Athens or Greece, but of the world” – Socrates

Jake
    October 19, 2011 at 9:07 am

Towards Harmony
    October 19, 2011 at 10:58 am

They annoy me SO much.
    But I end up feeling bad and so guilty (that’s my load to carry in life perpetual guilt) if I yell at them, because they are doing it for their bucks, so I devised a strategy, I repeat everything they say 😀 I have a good laugh afterwards and I hope they will strike my number of their lists because of my nuisance 🙂

Towards Harmony
    October 19, 2011 at 10:58 am

They annoy me SO much.

Priyanka Victor
    October 19, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Now I feel left out. I hear everybody from my mother to the kaamwaali baai complaining about telemarketers but till now I haven’t had one person, NOT ONE, call me with something to sell.
    Hmph.

Priyanka Victor
    October 19, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Hmph.

scribby
    October 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Well I do agree with you Prats on the point that these are people with compulsion to take up this job and not the ones who took it by choice…exactly in the same manner if I’m getting pissed of with these callers it doesn’t mean the person  but the profession !

Suppose I decide to be nice to these telecallers which is not impossible,okay, but imagine the number of calls I get every day and I’ve to answer them politely every time even if they mispronounce my name,surname or even jumble up,my marital status etc. Some of them are rude and pestering as well. So the net effect is the outburst that comes out evenly on the entire lot of tele callers and not one single person…getting me?
    When I say I’m angry or upset with these callers I also target their employers who hire them in bulk but forget to train them even on basic calling etiquette and properly reading the names…so training is the key in the process which is missing big time in this industry…when on this point you might have noticed and might as well agree with me that most of the callers don’t even know the product properly or their job clearly. It’s just that they know they have to complete certain number of calls per day and get a certain amount of money back home,like you said above,for which they pick this job up!

scribby
    October 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm

October 21, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I agree RBit…it’s so frustrating how they assume things. It’s just as bad as individuals outside India thinking Indians can’t speak English. The way these telemarketers see it is that if you have an Indian last name, you defnitely need their products to connect with someone back in India…what if you don’t have anyone?! Gah!

October 21, 2011 at 9:16 pm

October 22, 2011 at 9:13 am

Vishnu, I understand about people doing their job but I think some of them still have a choice. Like I told Prateek, I think it takes a certain personality type to be pushy and not listen to you. Like some journalists who seem to have no ethics as long as they are the ones with the ‘breaking news’, so too are some telemarketers who don’t care until they make a sale. The only way I can be ‘nice’ to them is by being firm and calm about not being interested.

October 22, 2011 at 9:13 am

October 22, 2011 at 9:14 am

?

October 22, 2011 at 9:14 am

?

October 22, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Yep, I’m really hoping that T! If they do, well, they have to face my wrath! 😛

October 22, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Yep, I’m really hoping that T! If they do, well, they have to face my wrath! 😛

October 22, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Prats, I do think people have a choice in how they deal with the customers. If someone tells them they are not interested politely, why not accept that and stop harrassing them? I have had a few telemarketers say ok after I tell them straight up I’m not interested. On the other hand, there are some individuals and personality types who won’t give and continue to harrass others. I don’t see a need to be polite to these individuals. And sorry, but I don’t agree that telemarketing is a stressful job…it doesn’t deal with life or death situations like police, doctors or nurses do. It doesn’t deal with face to face aggression like psychologists or teachers have to deal with. It’s over the phone and there is a distance there.

Secondly, she was calling me at an odd hour as Saturday is a weekend. I know they work in India but they don’t work in most countries. It would be like calling someone in the Middle East on a Thursday or Friday which is the weekend there and saying it’s okay.

And finally, in terms of me stating that I am Australian, I have never made it a secret here that I feel more Aussie than Indian. Sure, I was born in India. But to be honest, I have never been attached to the country. I lived in Oman for about 5 years when  I was a child. And the 15 years in India were memorable more so for friends, family and food. Not for my love for the country. I never felt any sense of patriotism or belonging on Independence Day or Republic Day — to me they were just always Public holidays. But since coming to Australia, I find I am more attached to this country, I feel a sense of pride at our achievements…something that never occurred when I was in India. I get goosebumps when our National anthem is sung. I feel proud of my country on Australia Day. I guess, in short, given that I have never been attached to India, it was easy to be detached on leaving it. And while you may find that unusual, it can happen.

October 22, 2011 at 9:57 pm

October 22, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I agree Nu…like I said to Prats, there are a few (very few!) telemarketers who stop harrassing you if you say you are not interested but the ones that go on and on are impossible to be polite towards. And honestly, in their training, they do not get anything on etiquette. It’s all about being pushy and honestly, we don’t need people making sales on the phone. If there have to be telemarketers, they should just be the ones we call when we need help. Not the ones who call us!

October 22, 2011 at 10:00 pm

October 22, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Selective hearing appears to be very common among the telemarketers Bikram! They can’t seem to understand not needing something…apparently if it’s a special offer, then you should get it! I remember getting a call some years ago from a call centre in India offering me a better deal on Telstra mobile phone plans and I said I was not interested as I had a good Vodafone one but they wouldn’t give up! In then end, I just hung up.

October 22, 2011 at 10:02 pm

October 22, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I remember Nids that in India you even get text messages from these telemarketers…thankfully, I don’t have that here. Yet. But this woman took the cake. I have had persistent and annoying telemarketers in the past but none of them has ever called me a liar.

October 22, 2011 at 10:06 pm

October 22, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I generally hang up TheGirlAtFirstAvenue…and yes, I do agree with you that being polite could probably get them  a sale than being rude and annoying and harrassing the person they are calling! Honestly,  I don’t even understand why this profession exists to make sales….why not just have telemarketers to receive ne calls…people are less likely to be abusive towards them!

October 22, 2011 at 10:08 pm

October 22, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Oh I hope it works Adayinlifeofmom! I’ll get really mad if it doesn’t. I think there is a complaint line if it is not adhered to! And yes, as you said, even making a threat might work…

October 22, 2011 at 10:18 pm

October 22, 2011 at 10:57 pm

That’s good to hear Raindrop…if after the DNC is activated and I still get calls, you can bet I am going to complain!!!

October 22, 2011 at 10:57 pm

October 22, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I remember reading something on your blog Scribby…will go and re-read to refresh my memory. I think I’m going to start doing that too…when they ask if it’s Mrs Lastname, I’m going to say sorry they no longer live here…

October 22, 2011 at 11:07 pm

October 23, 2011 at 7:17 am

Firstly Jake, doesn’t matter if you piss people off with your opinions! I tend to believe that there will be at least one person pissed off…as you can see, my posts generally tend to have at least someone opposing my views and getting annoyed.

Re the telemarketer…I hope she gets pulled up for her behaviour. However, the cynic in me doubts it…she may be given kudos for persisting! 😛

I remember you mentioning this point once before (probably somewhere else where I portrayed my Australianism over my Indianism) and I remember that we are all from Africa. I do agree with you to a certain extent but will add that I do feel a sense of pride for Australia as against India. Can’t explain it…never had attachment to India but do have it for Aus. But yes, I do agree with the religions, races and borders all eventually leading to division. Having said that, hopefully, at least with the advances in technology, the borders are becoming less prominent and more and more inter-racial relationships are occurring. There still is hope for all of us to eventually just be citizens of the world! 🙂

October 23, 2011 at 7:17 am

October 23, 2011 at 7:25 am

Ah guilt…I have let go off guilt Prathama in these cases…maybe because it’s not a face-to-face confrontation! I like your method though…sounds pretty funny! It reminds me of games my sis and I would play to annoy each other! 😛

October 23, 2011 at 7:25 am

October 23, 2011 at 7:26 am

PeeVee…more than happy to swap with you! MAybe next time I can give them your number… 😛

October 23, 2011 at 7:26 am

Jake
    October 23, 2011 at 10:37 am

I can relate to why you feel the way you do psych, although I’ll never be part of a similar clan.  You are right about the fact the whole world is mixing, but I don’t know how true what you said about blurring borders is, logically I don’t see that happening , we will never leave in a “one world for everyone” reality., culture, religion and patriotism will always stand in the way, its what human beings use to make themselves feel special and important and won’t let go off it that easy 🙂 ..

Jake
    October 23, 2011 at 10:37 am

opinionsandexpressions
    February 21, 2012 at 6:20 pm

ahh some of them are so over smart..one cant help but being angry even if it is their job. If they can be rude so can we.

opinionsandexpressions
    February 21, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Carolyn Gonzalez
    May 18, 2012 at 9:37 am

You’re not the only person who hate telemarketers.Telemarketers are doing only their job but sometimes they pass the limit that why we always get annoy with them.

Carolyn Gonzalez