All about the mind

World Mental Health Day 2011

October is Mental Health Awareness Month.

And today, 10.10.11 is World Mental Health Day and the theme for this year is about investing in mental health. A day to acknowledge mental health and related issues was created by the World Federation for Mental Health back in 1992. Yet, there are probably several countries in the world where there is still hardly any importance given to the matter.

On this World Mental Health Day, my hope is that countries invest in creating awareness about mental health issues.

Mental illness still has a stigma attached to it. While there are some countries more accepting than others, mental health is still put on the backburner for most. There continues to exist a negative connotation about the word ‘mental’ and people seem to think it suggests something is very wrong with them or something negative about them. Rather, mental purely means about the mind. Having mental health problems doesn’t mean one is crazy. Rather, it just means one’s mind is not coping well. People are quick to see a doctor when they have physical health problems. But when it comes to mental wellbeing, they take their time thinking it will go away. While it sometimes might, more often than not, people will need help. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Apart from that, it would be great to have more early intervention services targeting children, adolescents and families but at the same time, not forgetting adults in need. After all, adults with mental health problems do have children themselves resulting in difficulties parenting and mental health problems for the kids as well.

Finally, on this World Mental Health Day, I would like to encourage all of you out there to acknowledge if you have mental health problems. They may not necessarily be psychoses but can also be depression or anxiety or post-traumatic stress disorders. And sometimes, you may need a helping hand to cope. There is nothing to be ashamed about needing a little extra help. This may be from a friend or family member but it may also be from a professional. And if you are mentally well but have a friend or family member with problems, do talk to them and recommend they get assistance.

Let’s be more aware and spread the message about mental health.

It is not something to be ashamed of. It is something to get help for.

So do your bit. Become aware.

For your own sake.

For your own wellbeing.

Mabhav
    October 10, 2011 at 9:06 am

i m 35. i think i m gay, but thats just because i like to sleep with men. but i can’t think of myself settling down with a man. i fell in love with one man. but he dumped me after few months.

at the same time, i am  not sure if i can do justice to a woman if i get married. so in short, i am totally fucked up, lonely, depressed. i take good care of my looks, health, physique. but i m fucked up mentally. i talk to god all the time on vkends when i am lonely. i question him. i request him to take me ‘away’ since i can not bear this pain of nothingness in life. do i need medical help?

Mabhav
    October 10, 2011 at 9:06 am

whiningattheworld
    October 10, 2011 at 10:06 am

I didn’t know that today was World Mental Health Day. I haven’t seen this publicized but then I haven’t managed to read many blogs lately.

I really hope that days like this and RUOK day help reduce the stigma of mental health issues. Because sadly, as far as I see there is still a huge stigma attached in society.

whiningattheworld
    October 10, 2011 at 10:06 am

Bikram
    October 10, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Thank you for sharing , I did not know about it ..

Bikram’s

Bikram
    October 10, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Thank you for sharing , I did not know about it ..

Bikram’s

October 12, 2011 at 12:26 am

It wasn’t publicised all that much E which is a shame…I too am glad there are days like this and RUOK to try and reduce the stigma. It still exists and there are several times I have to help clients understand that it is okay to see someone for their problems. Hopefully, the more awareness there is, the less the stigma eventually.

October 12, 2011 at 12:26 am

October 12, 2011 at 12:27 am

No worries Bikram! Like doing my bit for mental health…

October 12, 2011 at 12:27 am

No worries Bikram! Like doing my bit for mental health…

Vishnu
    October 13, 2011 at 4:37 am

Mental health is as important as physical health. Overcoming the stigma and shame associated with mental illness is the first step to better mental health.

Vishnu
    October 13, 2011 at 4:37 am

October 13, 2011 at 6:20 am

Totally agree with you there Vishnu! Only when people can overcome the stigma can they actually increase awareness and be open to seeking help!

October 13, 2011 at 6:20 am

Priyanka Victor
    October 15, 2011 at 4:51 pm

It might sound totally silly to someone who doesn’t understand, but I have lost a relative to mental illness; so I completely understand how much exactly important it is and the stigma associated (for not even all the family members know the truth about him).
    In the face of ‘more serious’ illnesses like cancer and AIDS, degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s which are so silently harmful that they destroy the family along with the patient himself take a back seat.
    Counselling of any kind is not even taken seriously.
    Awareness is something we can only hope for.
    Cures, maybe in the next 30 decades.

Priyanka Victor
    October 15, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Counselling of any kind is not even taken seriously.
    Awareness is something we can only hope for.
    Cures, maybe in the next 30 decades.

October 16, 2011 at 7:17 am

I totally get what you are saying PV…it’s still even taboo to talk about it unlike physical health problems. Why is that?? We definitely need a lot more awareness to reduce that stigma!

October 16, 2011 at 7:17 am