Don’t believe me? Read this. But you know what? I don’t think the series would have survived without Ron. Yes, yes, I know he isn’t the central character. But not only is he my favouritest (yes, it’s a word. It’s my blog. I can make them up) character, he is one of the most loveable ones. Funnily enough, I prefer him, Hermione and Ginny and Fred and George and Sirius and Lupin over Harry. [Shock, horror!] But besides the fact that Rowling would have had one very angry fan, here are some other reasons why she couldn’t possibly have killed off Ron…
- Who would be the awkward, socially inappropriate person?
- Who would Hermione be angry with for going out with Lavender? For that matter, who would Hermione make jealous by going to the Yule Ball with Viktor Krum?
- We wouldn’t get half the sarcastic humour that is present in the books…
- Who would crack jokes with Harry about Trelawney?
- We wouldn’t have the nervous new goalie…
- We wouldn’t have had the chant of ‘Weasley is our King’…
- We wouldn’t get classic lines like “If we die for them, I’ll kill you Harry” [in Book 7 when Harry decides to help Malfoy…]. C’mon…humour in a very tense moment!
- Who would be afraid of spiders?
- We wouldn’t have the fights between him and Hermione or him and Harry…and let’s face it, Harry and Hermione didn’t fight all that much.
- Who would Fred and George tease?
- Or who would Ginny tease in the family?
- Who would be the cool red-head?
- And finally, who would be Harry’s best friend and sidekick?
There is no way she could have killed off Ron. He is a loveable characters with an amazing sense of humour. If anything, Harry dying in the end would have been better than Ron being killed off!
So what do you reckon? Could she have honestly killed off Ron in the middle of the series and had a successful completion?
I for one cannot see how the story would have gone on.
But then, I am biased!
Until next time,