Life

2011: A look back

I don’t think I’ve ever done a post like this but given the whirlwind year I’ve had, I thought it might be a good idea to reflect back on some of it. My busy days and weeks barely give my any time to reflect.

Work has been good this year in that I have learnt a lot. And I’m still growing. I find that I am enjoying seeing most of my clients. There are the odd few I don’t look forward to. And I’m getting a whole lot of satisfaction. Of course, towards the end of the year, I started to feel the effects on my health. And realised that as much as I care about my clients, I have to be a tad selfish and look after myself too. And that means, no more bringing work home in the form of reports. All in all though, it has been a much better year work-wise compared to 2010 where I found myself stuck in a job that seemed to be getting nowehere after the first few months resulting in my jumping ship after 8 months or so. But this one’s a keeper. One year and 4 months on, I am still enjoying it.

On the personal front, I started going to the gym again after almost 6 years. And the results have shown a bit. My mood is definitely a lot better. And I have lost some weight [although I fear that in this Christmas period, I may have put it all back on!] It has been enjoyable and something I am glad to say, I kept up even during the winter months. Since the change in daylight savings, I have been going at 6 in the morning and finding that it works out a lot better…I prefer coming home after a tiring day of work!

Pebbles entered my life in the second half of the year. And every moment with her has been precious. Her presence in the house is something I just can’t even begin to describe. In fact, as I write this post, she has been at the vet since 9 a.m. for a desexing surgery and I couldn’t focus on anything until I called the vet an hour ago to find out how things went. [Apparently went well…]. Apart from my anxiety about her welfare, I find the unit so empty without her prancing around or shadowing me. I guess it’s something I’ve learnt this year — to care for someone so utterly dependent on me.

I had a bit of travel this year too. Early on in the year, I went to Hervey Bay for a week. And then in June, visited my family back in India. Hervey Bay was beautiful. Bombay was nostalgic. Met up with the family. Felt good that mum seemed to be doing better. Was sick through most of my trip there. Got to attend my best friend from high school’s wedding. Had the question about marriage posed to me more often than I liked. Fought with the grandmother. Who finally left this earth in November.

Times spent with friends and loved ones were precious moments for me this year. Whether it was movies at the Dendy with R, catching up with C in the city, having A come up from Melbourne for a weekend, games evenings and nights with the girls, Thursday night dinner and shopping with N, dinner once a month with J, time with my mum, dad and sis, moments with best friends like M from college…all moments I hold close to my heart. And I’m very grateful for.

Things that could have gone better probably would be my finances. Somehow, for some reason, I find that no matter how frugal I am, there isn’t much money saved! And I am not someone who impulsively spends. I reckon the cost of living is going through the roof! Apart from that, a better work-life balance is certainly required. I have been bringing home reports this year which has not helped this. And finally, if the one team that won the cricket world cup hadn’t won it, it would have been even better!

All in all, I am so grateful for the life I have. For the year I’ve had. Yes, there have been downs but there have also been a lot of ups. And after all, what is life without these ups and downs?

So thanks 2011. You’ve been all right.

And 2012. I look forward to what you have in store.

bookslifenmore
    December 29, 2011 at 5:47 am

Ah! As u have summed it up it looks like you had a good year, of course there wud be things that cud have gone better but well life can never be perfect right???

Hope to see u when u r in mumbai next time 🙂

And yes wish you a happy & prosperous new year 🙂

bookslifenmore
    December 29, 2011 at 5:47 am

Hope to see u when u r in mumbai next time 🙂

And yes wish you a happy & prosperous new year 🙂

Scribbyscribs
    December 29, 2011 at 7:24 am

that’s some rocking year,especially in terms of work and gymming,ain’t it? Wishing you a happy and healthy 2012 PB

HUGS and much love

Scribbyscribs
    December 29, 2011 at 7:24 am

HUGS and much love

December 29, 2011 at 8:11 am

True Smita, life never is perfect! And yes, next time I’m up in Bombay, we should meet. After all, it’s not like we live that far away from each other either! Wish you a great 2012!

December 29, 2011 at 8:11 am

December 29, 2011 at 8:11 am

It has been a good year Scribby….even though at one stage it felt like a blur! Wish you a happy and prosperous 2012! 🙂

December 29, 2011 at 8:11 am

whiningattheworld
    December 29, 2011 at 9:26 am

Wow you have been very busy. I’m glad Pebbles is okay and I hope you can have a better work life balance in the new year.

whiningattheworld
    December 29, 2011 at 9:26 am

Pesto sauce
    December 29, 2011 at 10:57 am

Good year over all, I do such posts every year……………….did this time too

Pesto sauce
    December 29, 2011 at 10:57 am

Good year over all, I do such posts every year……………….did this time too

Maddie
    December 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Ever wondered if the work is good then time flies? It was really lovely to read your happening year. Hope 2012 brings more posts from the gym, Pebbles and your work life!! Enjoy and have a happy new year!!

Maddie
    December 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Red Handed
    December 30, 2011 at 3:31 pm

2011 seems to be a good year for everyone. I too had a blast.
    Lets pray that 2012 is better!

Red Handed
    December 30, 2011 at 3:31 pm

2011 seems to be a good year for everyone. I too had a blast.
    Lets pray that 2012 is better!

December 31, 2011 at 5:48 am

Yep, it’s been a blur of a year E! Hoping for that better work-life balance too…hope you have a great year ahead!

December 31, 2011 at 5:48 am

December 31, 2011 at 5:48 am

I did read yours too Pesto…enjoyed the way you categorised it all. Best wishes for the year ahead!

December 31, 2011 at 5:48 am

December 31, 2011 at 5:51 am

I agree Maddie…I do know that when I am busy and enjoying work, the day flies by! Thanks for the lovely wishes and hope you have a great 2012 too!! 🙂

December 31, 2011 at 5:51 am

December 31, 2011 at 5:51 am

Yeah Red, it does seem like most people enjoyed 2011. As you said, hope 2012 is better! 😀

December 31, 2011 at 5:51 am

Jake
    December 31, 2011 at 11:40 am

🙂 … nice list, I actually borrowed the idea to make my own list and it felt really good to look at the achievements on a piece of paper.

One question thought..just curious i’m not really into cricket but why do you hate the Indian cricket team so much 🙂 ?.  It sounds a lot like my hatred for religion, I have 0% tolerance and react pretty much the same way

Jake
    December 31, 2011 at 11:40 am

January 1, 2012 at 5:10 am

That’s good you did that…it helps sometimes to reflect back on the year doesn’t it? Especially given that we live such fast-paced lives. Ah the cricket thing…I think the actual hatred started when Sourav Ganguly was captain…I couldn’t stand him and his arrogance. Prior to that I just didn’t support the Indians but don’t think I hated them. And it just continued from there. Dhoni appears to be in the same mould so no liking there either!

January 1, 2012 at 5:10 am